Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Separator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teofrast40 View Post
    I often red from your citations of tv series/hollywood movies as alchemical sourcess, but I would not consider it to be part of the alchemical corpus.
    And also songs. Many songs are Hard Alchemical Corpus to me. Like this one for example, who fits quite well in the context of this thread:

Quoth 'Death Cab for Cutie':

If heaven and hell decide
    That they both are satisfied
    Illuminate the No's on their vacancy signs
    Quoth 'The Separator':

When you will get tired of this, call me and I will explain to you what is our purpose.
    And back to the song:

You and me have seen everything to see
    From Bangkok to Calgary
    And the soles of your shoes are all worn down
    The time for sleep is now
    It's nothing to cry about
    Last edited by Andro; 02-02-2011 at 01:53 PM.

dear androgynous,
    I really don't have any problem in recognizing my faults when proven wrong (you should remember my recent apologies for the case of works on urine), but, sadly, the photos you show here just confirm my suspect.
    Namely, the book that this person is holding in his hand is a copy of
    D. Hilarii Pictauorum episcopi Lucubrationes quotquot extant : olim per Des. Erasmum Roterod. haud mediocribus sudoribus emendateanno 1570
    it's a book coming from the christian reformation milieu, nothing to do with alchemy, and certainly not this mysterious liber lugubrum.. by the way lucubrationes means elucubrations, a different term alltogether from lugubrium (plural genitive of lugubris=lugubrious)
    There's really nothing wrong in finding inspiration everywhere, just one shouldn't swallow anything that's put in front of him without discernement
    regarding the Compass, I can't help you for the german version, but you should find an english translation by Leo Muller in the most recent RAMS dvd
    with humility
    t
    P.S alchemical corpus is not a religious term, it's just a technicality to express the whole literature pertaining to alchemy. if you tomorrow would write an alchemy book, it would be part of it
    Last edited by teofrast40; 02-02-2011 at 04:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    dear androgynous,
    I really don't have any problem in recognizing my faults when proven wrong (you should remember my recent apologies for the case of works on urine), but, sadly, the photos you show here just confirm my suspect.
    Namely, the book that this person is holding in his hand is a copy of
    D. Hilarii Pictauorum episcopi Lucubrationes quotquot extant : olim per Des. Erasmum Roterod. haud mediocribus sudoribus emendateanno 1570
    it's a book coming from the christian reformation milieu, nothing to do with alchemy, and certainly not this mysterious liber lugubrum..
    There's really nothing wrong in finding inspiration everywhere, just one shouldn't swallow anything that's put in front of him without discernement
    regarding the Compass, I can't help you for the german version, but you should find an english translation by Leo Muller in the most recent RAMS dvd
    with humility
    t
    Hey T

I may well have been wrong about the book title - the collector himself presented it as 'Codex Lugubrum' (which may or not be a sub-chapter, I don't know), and he also said that it had christian reformation content - but my discernment is not based on cover and platform. It was that particular story from the book that completely blew me away, in a purely Alchemical sense, with its philosophical and also PRACTICAL implications. Also, there is certain alchemical symbolism in the book, otherwise what would a Caduceus do on a christian reformation platform? (yes, I know it's a widespread symbol, but still...) I will also repeat that 'Compass of the Wise' mentions Des. Erasmus Roterodamus - so, it may very well be that this reformation was attempted by certain R+C groups, and it is very plausible to assume that it may have come under a variety of guises.

Nevertheless, the story I have shared here would IMO be best taken in without any bias based on the platform from which it was written. Fairytales are Alchemy books to me. Art as well.
    But thanks for explaining your perception of what Alchemical Corpus is.

I have an older RAMS collection and for some reason they are not updating me about new releases, in spite of their promise to do so, and they also usually don't respond to my emails.

In any case, thanks for the clarification about the book title. I have edited the initial post to incorporate your correction.
    Last edited by Andro; 02-16-2015 at 05:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    Do go back to the point you are stressing here Andro, about the "separator", it is also a principle of equilibrium, between two polarities, Heaven and Hell for example, we will have a kind of "no man's land".
    Separator is for me, an equilibrator, borned by the action of the two opposed forces, a dwelling place to keep balance (libra), but in the matter/dualistic world.

For now, this is what come to me.
    Salazius

http://dartigne.blogspot.com/

My Works

"I want to transmute everywhere" ~ The Spirit of Alchemy.

ok, let's see..
    apparently this book should be a collection of works by Hilary of Poitiers (a theologist and doctor of the church, circa 300 A.D.) revised by Erasmus (quite known for his Praise of folly and for having somehow contributed to reformation, despite having remained catholic for the whole of his life). none of them appears in any alchemical bibliography I'm aware of (no mention in Ferguson). Of course alchemy (and rosicrucianism) spreaded quite a lot in reformated areas. still, IMHO here we are in theological domain, so no direct connection to alchemy, but, not having red the book I shout my mouth.
    regarding the compass, check your private mail
    t

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Salazius View Post
    Do go back to the point you are stressing here.
    Good point

Separator is for me, an equilibrator, borned by the action of the two opposed forces, a dwelling place to keep balance (libra), but in the matter/dualistic world.
    Sometimes it takes a Sword (Mars/Aries) as an Equilibrator to keep the Balance (Venus/Libra)

Between two polarities, Heaven and Hell for example, we will have a kind of "no man's land".
    This 'No Man's Land' concept is very interesting from the Alchemical perspective. A 'Place' where the dualistic and polaric forces of this World and Universe have diminished powers, or no powers at all.

The Separator wears a Cloak - or a 'cloaking device' - to deflect/deviate/absorb the vulgar/dualistic forces which impede the manifestation of the much great power of the In-Between in our physical dualistic realm.

This cloak/separator creates a Field which is like a 'Bubble' or a 'Womb', where the normal vulgar and dualistic forces apply to a much lesser extent.
    A special place is thus created for a much more noble and powerful Apparition/Manifestation.

God and the devil, good and evil, heaven and hell (common polarity archetypes of various belief systems) are powerless, once the Separator enters the scene. We are now literally in 'No Man's Land'.
    An escape hatch has been created, a 'Zero/Null Point', from which access to Non-Duality is possible, resulting in Liberation.

Not only access to Non-Duality, but also access to the possibility for the Alchemical/Philosophical Hermaphrodite to gradually manifest in our midst, having a physical appearance. This is the part of Practical Lab Alchemy.

When we understand and properly employ this 'Separator' or this 'Cloak' - it creates Our Field of 'No Man's Land', which is our Philosophical Athanor.

On our way to the Promised Land, we must pass though the Desert/Null Point/No Man's Land. The Separator.

Quoth Morpheus to Neo:

"Welcome to the Desert of the Real"
    A Desert so thirsty for Our Water...

Normally, the Separator is an infinitely fine line - but we can inflate this fine thread to actually make a 3D Hole/Womb/Bubble in 'normal' space, for the Great Work to take place 'In There' by itself.

Cabala, Speculum...

Like taking an Axis and inflating it into a Planet... Axis Mundi... Or Sleeping Beauty and her Spindle... these are the best metaphors I can come up with right now. More to come, hopefully...

Last edited by Andro; 02-03-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    regarding the compass, check your private mail
    I will. Thank you very much!

Funny, I never equated a speculum with the luminal boundary- but what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Matrix View Post
    Funny, I never equated a speculum with the luminal boundary- but what do I know?
    Speculum is Latin for "mirror," I believe.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Matrix View Post
    I never equated a speculum with the luminal boundary
    Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    What about Carroll[...]?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    Speculum is Latin for "mirror," I believe.
    Alice had, in turn, a Rabbit Hole and Speculum (looking glass).

We are so focused on this reality or the other... Real World or Wonderland, Kansas or Oz, etc... that we tend to miss the actual gateways... SEPARATORS...

What is never plainly revealed in the 'Alchemical Corpus' often 'hides in plain sight' in legends and fairytales.

There is SO much more to these stories than meets the vulgar eye.

And the story of 'The Separator' (which started this thread), is one of the best I've encountered so far.

+ Reply to Thread