Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 112 of 116 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1155

Thread: Spiritus Mundi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    The "water" that is supposed to be condensed with this system never actually touches metal. It only condenses in the last receiver F.

Yes, but the first Spirit is not the Secret Solvent. It is still "Mercurius Simplex", after certain nomenclatures.

The Secret Solvent results from the Spirit interacting with its Earth (the "Virgin Earth" of Image II, in this case) and "absorbing" the volatile Fire contained therein. The remaining fixed Fire of this "Earth" is to be later rendered into the Philosophical Sulfur. I'm just saying what the books are saying
    Nice, nice..... this is what i was thinking. I know its overkill but i can't help but say thank you again. CHEERS!!

To finally understand what alchemy is; is something truely amazing. So simple and yet so easily looked over by billions of people. There truely is something sacred about this Art.

So im guessing then that you chose to stick with the metal funnels and pipes. I was thinking of going pure glass. Do you think that the iron/lead serves any particular special purpose?? Apart from the obvious i mean...
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

In the third degree they taught the preparation of the universal solvent according to their logic.

Formerly known as True Puffer

Blog Entries

Logistical Post

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Welcome to the perennial conundrum & contradiction of all those who actually take that whole "universal solvent" thing quite literally. Kunckel used to mock their beliefs by pointing out one pertinent fact: if this thing really dissolves "everything", then how can you possibly prepare it or store it? It would dissolve the vessels used for the purpose!
    Follow-up posts & replies have been moved here: Aspects of Alchemy.

Blog Entries
    So.... what is this suppose to say?:

Labor II dus. The collection of virgin land.

This should happen almost simultaneously to the previous one, as follows: After the decent brother delivered his property from the trunks and moss, filling it with black soil or red, of course, which is located to the east and in which anyway are beautiful flowers belonging to nature, a meadow, or a high quality garden, he goes in the early morning, when the weather is clear and pure, before dawn, to the appointed place, digs to below the plant roots, to a depth of about 5 spans, and pours 5 lbs of this land, with a wooden pallet, in a glass container, puts us just above a lid, so that it can not mingle with it nothing heterogeneous, and continues in this manner This land must be applied on a large or smaller, and much flat land bowls or glass, with a width of a finger, and must be kept in a place away from the wind, rain and sun, so at pull the spirit of the air, and as moisture earthly expression, when the weather is bad, that is, humid air, rain, storm and temporal, must be covered with the bells or glass bowls, and can be discovered only when the sky it is pure.
    When it is so continued throughout the month of May and June, this land is then passed through a hair sieve, not too thin, so as to be cleaned in case of gravel or sand, because otherwise if this hardened ground became sandy or stone, and the spirit of the world will melt too much, at the end of the process, this being the sandy dirt, po3bbe cause a kind of glass, which impact on the work and cause danni
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post

This should happen almost simultaneously to the previous one, as follows: After the decent brother delivered his property from the trunks and moss, filling it with black soil or red, of course, which is located to the east and in which anyway are beautiful flowers belonging to nature, a meadow, or a high quality garden, he goes in the early morning, when the weather is clear and pure, before dawn, to the appointed place, digs to below the plant roots, to a depth of about 5 spans, and pours 5 lbs of this land, with a wooden pallet, in a glass container, puts us just above a lid, so that it can not mingle with it nothing heterogeneous, and continues in this manner This land must be applied on a large or smaller, and much flat land bowls or glass, with a width of a finger, and must be kept in a place away from the wind, rain and sun, so at pull the spirit of the air, and as moisture earthly expression, when the weather is bad, that is, humid air, rain, storm and temporal, must be covered with the bells or glass bowls, and can be discovered only when the sky it is pure.
    When it is so continued throughout the month of May and June, this land is then passed through a hair sieve, not too thin, so as to be cleaned in case of gravel or sand, because otherwise if this hardened ground became sandy or stone, and the spirit of the world will melt too much, at the end of the process, this being the sandy dirt, po3bbe cause a kind of glass, which impact on the work and cause danni
    The Collection of our Virgin Land can be understood in this context (and every other context in Alchemical literature) as our Preparation, imo.

All of the allusions are there in your above posted passage, and even most of the instructions are decently clear and understandable. Even the key words give hints and align with what the Masters say about Preparing our Matter.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, nah... I dont get it at all. Its not alluding me to anything. I've never read about "trunks and moss" or about "a wooden pallet"

Come on Smirnoff. Where are the sexy quotes from 5 different authors that speak in similarity to this text here?

Where did you get the english translation from, elixirmixer?
    I'd start and take it litarally. Black earth would be topsoil of good qualitiy concerning plant growth. Red earth would be some kind of claysoil with more or less concentration of ironcompounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmuldvich View Post
    The Collection of our Virgin Land can be understood in this context (and every other context in Alchemical literature) as our Preparation, imo.

All of the allusions are there in your above posted passage, and even most of the instructions are decently clear and understandable. Even the key words give hints and align with what the Masters say about Preparing our Matter.
    Yeah, nah... I dont get it at all. Its not alluding me to anything. I've never read about "trunks and moss" or about "a wooden pallet"

Come on Smirnoff. Where are the sexy quotes from 5 different authors that speak in similarity to this text here...?
    In my Preparation I use glass, but I understand and can see how a "wooden pallet" could not only work really supremely well, but also how it could aid in efficiency of this first labor of our Work.

The "trunks and moss" thing as well as many of the other key words in the tiny passage you posted are hints, clues given to spur thoughts in your mind's eye and give you mental images of this Preparation that is paramount and crucial to starting our Work correctly.

Oh so noooow you beg for quotes...? OK

Quote Originally Posted by Artephius
    Wherefore, let our body remain in the water till it is dissolved into a subtile powder in the bottom of the vessel and the water, which is called the black ashes; this is the corruption of the body which is called by the philosophers or wise men, "Saturnus plumbum philosophorum", and pulvis discontinuatus, viz. saturn, latten or brass, the lead of the philosophers the disguised powder. And in this putrefaction and resolution of the body, three signs appear, viz., a black color, a discontinuity of parts, and a stinking smell, not much unlike to the smell of a vault where dead bodies are buried. These ashes then are those of which the philosophers have spoken so much which remained in the lower part of the vessel, which we ought not to undervalue or despise; in them is the royal diadem, and the black and unclean argent vive, which ought to be cleansed from its blackness, by a continual digestion in our water, till it be elevated above in a white color, which is called the gander, and the bird of Hermes. He therefore that maketh the red earth black, and then renders it white, has obtained the magistery. So also he who kills the living, and revives the dead. Therefore make the black white, and the white black, and you perfect the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Morienus
    Now here is an explanation of the various substances according to Morienus, who said that the philosophers referred to the impure body as lead. The purified body is tin. The green lion is glass and almagra is latten, although it may have been called red earth earlier. And blood is orpiment, and foul earth is foul sulfur. Eudica is apart from all these and is called glaze, or the dregs and impurities of glass. The red vapor is red orpiment, the white vapor quicksilver and the yellow vapor sulfur. This is the nature of the white vapor, the green lion, and the foul water.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    When God had created our first parent Adam, and set him in Paradise, He shewed him two things, namely, earth and water. Earth is fixed and indestructible, water is volatile and vaporous. These two contain the elements of all created things: water contains air, and earth fire --- and of these four things the whole of creation is composed. In earth are enclosed fire, stones, minerals, salt, mercury, and all manner of metals; in water, and in air, all manner of living and organic substances, such as beasts, birds, fishes, flesh, blood, bones, wood, trees, flowers, and leaves. To all these things God imparted their efficacy and virtue, and subjected them to the mastery and use of Adam. Hence you may see how all these things are adapted to the human body, and are such as to meet the requirements of his nature. He may incorporate the virtue of outward substances by assimilating them in the form of food. In the same way, his mind is suitably constructed for the purpose of gaining a rational knowledge of the physical world. That this is the case, you may see from the first chapter of Genesis.

On the sixth day of the first year of the world, that is to say, on the 15th day of March, God created the first man, Adam, of red earth, in a field near Damascus, with a beautiful body, and after His own image. When Adam was created, he stood naked before the Lord, and with outstretched hands rendered thanks to Him, saying: O Lord, Thy hands have shaped me: now remember, I pray Thee, the work of Thy hands, which Thou hast clothed with flesh, and strengthened with bones, and grant me life and loving kindness.

So the Lord endowed Adam with great wisdom, and such marvellous insight that he immediately, without the help of any teacher --- simply by virtue of his original righteousness --- had a perfect knowledge of the seven liberal arts, and of all animals, plants, stones, metals and minerals. Nay, what is more, he had perfect understanding of the Holy Trinity, and of the coming of Christ in the flesh. Moreover, Adam was the Lord, King, and Ruler of all other creatures which, at the Divine bidding, were brought to him by the angel to receive their names. Thus all creatures acknowledged Adam as their Lord, seeing that it was he to whom the properties and virtues of all things were to be made known. Now the wisdom, and knowledge of all things, which Adam had received, enabled him to observe the properties, the origin, and the end of all things. He noted the division and destruction, the birth and decay of physical substances. He saw that they derive their origin from the dry and the moist elements, and that they are again transmuted into the dry and the moist. Of all these things Adam took notice, and especially of that which is called the first Matter. For he who knows how all things are transmuted into their first Matter, has no need to ask any questions. It was that which existed in the beginning before God created heaven and earth; and out of it may be made one new thing which did not exist before, a new earth, fire, water, air, Sun, Moon, Stars, in short, a new world.

As in the beginning all things were created new, so there is a kind of new creation out of the first substance in our Art. Now although God warned Adam generally not to reveal this first substance --- viz., the moist and the dry elements --- yet He permitted him to impart the knowledge to his son Seth. Abel discovered the Art for himself, by the wisdom which God had given him, and inscribed an account of it on beechen tablets. He was also the first to discover the art of writing; further, he foretold the destruction of the world by the Flood, and wrote all these things on wooden tablets, and hid them in a pillar of stone, which was found, long afterwards, by the children of Israel Thus you see that our Art was a secret from the beginning, and a secret it will remain to the end of the world. For this reason it is necessary carefully to consider all that is said about it, and especially the words of the Lord to Adam: for they exhibit in a succinct form the secret of the whole Art.

Wilt thou, by God’s grace alone.
    Obtain the Stone of the Philosophers?
    If so, seek it no in vegetables or animals,
    In sulphur, quicksilver, and minerals;
    Vitriol, alum, and salt are of no value;
    Lea, tin, iron, and copper profit nothing;
    Silver and gold have no efficacy.
    Hyle or Chaos will accomplish it all.
    It is enclosed in our salt spring,
    In the tree of the Moon and of the Sun.
    I call it the Flower of Honey,
    The Flower known to the Wise.
    In fine, the Flower and Honey
    Are the Sulphur and Quicksilver of the Wise,
    Even water and earth,
    With the whitish seed of all metals.
    The water is volatile, the earth fixed;
    One can effect nothing without the other,
    Both are born of a root having a white exterior.
    It produces all the virtues of the metals,
    Yet it is not dug from the ore
    Either with pickaxes or other instruments.
    In the place and spot where our Matter is found
    No other metal whatever exists.
    It is produced, with its virtue and efficacy,
    In Hyle or Chaos alone.
    Homer knew it well, and called it Moly.
    This, in its proper condition,
    Has a root altogether black.
    The god Mercury offered it to Ulysees,
    Even unto Ulysses in his wanderings,
    As a precaution against the sorcery of Circe.
    The gods also have bestowed it upon man
    As a singularly great gift,
    Designed to assuage and comfort him.
    Hence springs pleasing nectar,
    The drink of the goddeses.
    It is also termed Chelidonia,
    As a singular gift of Heaven.
    Solar Root is another name.
    The root is known to the wise:
    It receives high honours in astronomy,
    Is metaphorically likened to the planets,
    Lead, tin, copper, and iron,
    Silver and gold, everything the wise have named.
    In the tongue of Chaldea it is also called Azoth;
    In German it is a blessed spirit;
    In Latin, argent vive animate,
    That is to say, Mercury of the Philosophers.
    It is also named the herb Adrop,
    A well-known Chaldean word,
    Signifying in our speech Saturn.
    Astronomically speaking, I must say
    That Saturn rules the earth.
    Metaphorically is our matter compared,
    Being the Red Lead and Red Earth,
    With Fools despised and valueless.
    It is called the Red and Green Lion.
    It is well known as the Adamic Earth ---
    A skillful production of the Wise Creator,
    Which doth contain and unite in one mass
    The powers of all natures.
    From this mass and red earth,
    Almighty God creates Adam.
    He has highly honoured our first father,
    Who is also called Microcosmus.
    You are to recognize the Red Earth as Adam;
    We call it the First Matter.
    Later on, I will likewise disclose its preparation.
    With great courage kill the lion;
    But take its coagulated blood,
    The brilliancy of gold and its costliness,
    Separated from the center of putrefying earth;
    Dissolve it with the greatest diligence;
    Imitate the Creator of Nature so wise,
    Who will vouchsafe to enlighten our understanding,
    That we may separate the dry from the moist.
    Thus water is produced from earth,
    The volatile from the fixed,
    The animated spirit on the earth.
    Water and earth, two invisible elements,
    Have, by God’s grace and care,
    Fire and air concealed within them.
    They are also purely impregnated
    With the fifth invisible nature.
    But, to proceed to the end of the work,
    Marry the woman with the man,
    Our Adam with clear Eve,
    Both being absolutely naked,
    For then Nature herself, being clean and pure,
    Rejoices with her own nature.
    The animated spirit dissolves the body,
    The body coagulates the spirit.
    This is the sole Mercury,
    Which is the Foundation of the Stone of the Wise.
    It becomes black, white, green, and red,
    Is itself Proteus, the God of the sea,
    Who, being caught, so wondrously
    Transforms himself into a thousand shapes;
    That is, it dissolves and coagulates itself,
    Sublimates and calcines,
    Mortifies and vivifies,
    Washes and incerates,
    Clarifies and fixes.
    In all these things
    Heaven and earth are concerned,
    And the Sun and the Moon
    Become dark and black as a raven:
    Heaven and earth are melted quite away:
    Truly, in the Hyle or Chaos
    There is a most wonderful strife
    Of the elements in all directions.
    Water covers all the earth,
    But, in order that the moist may become dry,
    Our strong giants maintain
    Incessant and unwearying contests
    With our wondrously small dwarf,
    Who, finally, by divine miracle,
    Conquers and overcomes
    And captures them all, both slays and binds.
    Out of the destroyed rubbish
    God creates a new Heaven and Earth.
    The New Jerusalem is built
    With transparent clear gold,
    Also with pure precious stone.
    Here is placed the famed Stone of the Wise,
    The Unique bird, the good Phoenix,
    Who by the glow of the fire
    Is slain and born again,
    And becomes a real Salamander,
    Who now lives in the fire.
    This is the filius solis, child of the sun,
    Who with his singular power
    Works miracles and great wonders,
    And can expel all sicknesses
    In human and metallic bodies,
    With glorified body, flesh and blood,
    He purifies all that is corporeal.
    The immortal Adam, highly endowed,
    Tinges common gold and silver,
    So that they thereby may become fruitful,
    To bear their blessed likeness on the Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Yworth
    The Dissolution requisite in order to obtain the Alkahest is a dissolving of the Body into a Spirit that will never Coagulate into a Body again, but the Dissolution in order to obtain the Mercury of the Philosophers is a Dissolution, wherein the Essence of the Body is so Congealed, as to become a Ferment to the mercury, to Congeal the Body again; for as the Worthy Trevisan says concerning the Preparation of the Mercury of the Philosophers, the same matter must abide that the same Form may follow, and that nothing is to be added to it, nor taken from it, but a Superfluous Phlegm and red Earth; for when Bodies are to be Renovated it must be done by things in kind; therefore Trevisan makes it a great Error to alter Mercury from its Metallic Species; we may ground, that the Great Work is performed by the dissolution of the Body and Congelation of the Spirit, but the work of the Circulated Salt is a Solution into Secondary Principles, but not into Elements; for nothing of Profit can be expected from thence, yet this Solution ought not to be into every distinct Principle, but into one Saline Liquor, Homogenous and Immortal. Here this Body of two faces, or that of old Saturn’s Urine and the Blood of the Great World are reduced to one, ad that you may know it when so reduced, it is a Fire, yet in the form of Water; ‘tis an Air, yet Condensed; ‘tis no Corrosive, yet the most sharp and perpetual Corrosive; ‘tis not Medicinal yet the Crown of all true Medicine, being a Cleanser and Purifier in nature, a Destroyer and Conqueror of Bodies; ‘tis called the Fire of Hell, because the Spirit that comes from the Center is united to the Blood without the Intermediation of the Heavenly Rays of Mercury, yet acts with that Purity, as that it finds no Body more noble than itself to join withal, therefore is not Commiscible with any Ferment, and so not capable of Transmutation.

Quote Originally Posted by Alard
    In these circumstances and in connection with the author’s description of Mercurius Philosophorum , we are taking the opportunity, for the sake of greater clarity, to insert here what we find annotated by the servant of Sendivogius . P.P. Georg Philip Maria chooses Loco Subjecti as his subject a ruby—colored noble mineral. Christoph. Parisiensi (Christopher of Paris), however, in “Elucidarius,” chooses a red earth from the island of Lemnos (or: Lemnus, Greece). The servant of Sendivogius, without doubt because of his master’s accurate information and Manuduction, chooses a pure gold—ore that does not contain any other metal or mineral, nor any visible or corporeal gold. Its color must be dark brown and almost the color of leather, and it must be like a clean, tough potter’s clay. It looks as if these three authors were contradicting one another, while they are yet fundamentally in harmony; because the final purpose and intention in considering the subject is and must be aimed at choosing a pure mineral or mineral earth without heterogeneous matter, wherein Mercurius and likewise the Sulphur tingens (tingeing sulphur) lie and are to be found pure and immaculate, both of which partes essentiales (essential parts) lie pure, virginal, and immaculate in these three above mentioned subjects. That is why it is the same if P.P. Georg Philip Maria chooses as the subjecto operis (subject of the work) a ruby—red noble mineral, or Christoph. Parisiensis a golden earth from the island of Lemnos, or the servant of Sendivogious, a liver—colored potter’s clay.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar
    Place this vessel in the sand, up to the level of the liquid and distill and cohobate several times, distill this gently over in order that the Spirit Phytonis comes over clear like a tear, and is cleansed from all impurities. Reserve this Spirit and take the remainder or Caput Mortuum out of the crooked necked vessel, and put it in a vessel of burnt earth, put it into the Fire and calcine it strongly, then extract the Salt out of it with distilled water, and purify it; so have you the Adam, made out of the earth and prepared. Now you must make this living, and give him his Eva. Rub this Salt small, and put it in an Alingel, and pour the Spirit on the dead body and firmly stop the glass and close I well, place in a gentle heat, so will Adam take Eva to himself, and become one, and so you have here in short a Liquorem Universalem and with this you can rightly dissolve the Ophiris Salt, and then coagulatione et fixatione in verum semen suri lapidem philosophorum redigirre. Drear Brethren I will not withhold from you through the help of the All Highest how to prepare this secret Phytonis Liquorem; so take such a Liquorem and pour it on fresh Albaon made into a fine powder in a great vessel of Acures, shut it well, and place it in a gentle heat, and you will see a Smaragdine colour. Pour the Extraction together in a clean vessel. On the remaining Corpus pour a distilled Water, and extract the remaining tincture. Pour this off into another clean vessel, and distill off the water and add this liquor to the other extractions, and place this in a cool place, so will a Smaragdine Salt crystallize, of great strength. Take out this Salt remainder, leave in a mild heat, to evaporate a little, and again let it Crystallize, and you will get ore Salt, and you will have the real Green Lion of the Ancients. This is a living Salt. Take this Salt that you have extracted from this Earth, mix this Salt with the Earth or caput mortuum, rub the small, and make little balls thereof, moisten these balls with the liquor, so that nothing foreign is added, put such in a crooked necked Acures; lay this in an Oven in Sand, and your vessel should be covered with sand, lay also a large ball thereon and well closed, that the Arcki does not go through and distill over; by Algir a flowing Spirit comes over, pour this back into the vessel, cohobate and distill over again with strong Algir, then take the Receiver off, and preserve this well.

The remaining Corpus bruise, and rub it small, and extract the Salt thereof, and purify it, and pour your Liquor upon it, place this liquor so often, till all the Salt comes over with the Liquor, and put this Liquor into a high Vessel.

Distill all moisture therefrom, so you will find in Fundo a beautiful pure Oil as heavy as Plumbum, also pour this Spirit, which from its moisture you must have previously separated, upon your Oil, and draw off several times mildly, till your Oil is as thick as a flowing brook, remains behind; thus you get the Gum of your sister Maria, and the true Chaos of our Fathers. Then put it into a long necked Acures, and carefully melt the neck closed, put it in a mild heat, so will the Materia resolve into a crystalline Spirit and settles as a brown red earth. This clear water is the Columba Diana. Such pour carefully from the Earth and rectify, and well preserve it, i.e., lutirt that you clean it from all impurities, and free it from all Phlegmata. Let this flow over 7 times, so have you the prepared Phelgmata. Let this flow over 7 times, so have you the prepared Phytonis. This now is the life of all things. Preserve it as a great treasure, for this Bird does not willingly let itself be seen by the Godless of the World. Take the humidity or Phlegma, and extract out of our Earth the red Pirtre or fiery red Lion. This solution pour all together, till nothing more is extracted, and distill the Phlegma therefrom, so remains in the vessel a red glancing Materia, as a Blood and the right flowing Ophiris: Sol of the Ancients, the Blood of the Dragon, take this and preserve it well. The remaining Faeces take all together and calcine and extract the Salt of splendour. Clarify it that it becomes like a diamond. This salt rub in a clean vessel of Acures among the Blood of the Dragon, and pour the Columbian Dianae thereon, close them together and put it in a mild heat, let it stand, till they are all united, so you get the right lac virginis of the Ancients, with which one can do wonders.

The solution they brought also into a tall vessel, and distilled the fiery Humidity therefrom; for the Phyton does not ascend easily, so they met with such a heavy mucilaginous and viscous Water, and this they preserved well. Then they took their marvelous Nitre, and rubbed it small. Here they were not united in the work, for so brought it into a crooked necked vessel, and drove from this a Spirit and red Oil with force of the fire. They cohobated the Spirit with the Oil from the remaining red Earth so often, till the most part of it had flown over.

From the remaining Earth they extracted with the laid up Humidity, so they distilled off from the Phyton a white Salt, this they also brought into their Liquor. These three now they put in a mild heat, that they should unite with each other. Then they distilled such with each other, with a strong Fire and Cohobando from a strong vessel, they got a Liquor of marvelous effect.

The following treatise hints very plainly and distinctly at our work with Ha Adamah, but as it contains a great many unnecessary repetitions, I shall only select and translate faithfully what is necessary and pertinent to the subject and the process.

Our stone is of animal nature, proceeding from the completion of perfect human nature, carefully to put between two hilts, enclosed in its cavern and governed with moderate heat.

This dragon puts on a stage appearance and as a black toad becomes thick, but liquefies totally and grows black with an abominable smell, and wishes to be delivered of his melancholy state, he is in.

The serpent consists of Earth and Water.

The Earth must be moistened with its water, and must be fed vrith two third parts, until perfect whiteness, which is not only dry but also fixed. We are to look in the beginning for no other elements but Earth and water. Air and Fire do not appear but remain occult.

We want no more than one thing, and one only vessel, because it is but one medicine and one regimen. But every degree of warmth is to be agreeable to nature, if you surpass that, you will labour in vain.

The first work consists in a neutral solution, distillation, conjunction, and calcination as also a composition with its Water in a round vessel close shut.

The next work with our dragon is, that he be moistened after having attained the degree of The White, with 2/3 parts of its own sweat and mift because it is necessary that the Earth should become Water and if it is well governed it can be accomplished in a short space of time.

Humect the dragon on the 7th day in order that he may appear other superficies like a shiny looking glass, and you will see that the dragon's body becomes Water. The sign of the first perfection is tie solution of the body into Water, as many colours as there are during the first putrefaction, so many powers has our stone.

If an error should have been committed and the dragon should retain too much moisture, he may be delivered of a part thereof by distillation, but that same moisture must be afterwards returned to him.

The colour of the heavenly Water, is like the colour of the firmament.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacstrom
    1 ~ The soul of Man as well as all rational Spirits (the Angels) consist (according to their primitive Essence) of the Spirit of the World or Anima Mundi and the power of reasoning. They are Unities and most simple, and consequently in their very essence immortal.

2 ~ In the Beginning God created the Universal Spirit or the Universal Agent of Nature, the Soul of the Universe.

This is the first emanation of Divine Light; it is a unity and immortal, capable of manifesting itself, when moved or agitated, into Light and Fire.

It is multipliable and yet is and remains but one. It is Omnipresent and yet occupies no visible space or room, except when manifested or multiplied in its third principle, Fire. It has the power of becoming material and of returning again to universality.

This is the subject of the Stone or Medicine of the Philosophers. The more you take this in its simple, universal, unspecified or unmarried state, the easier, simpler and greater is your work, but the more this subject is already specified the more troublesome prolix and expensive is your process.

3 ~ Our Magnet to attract it (although every subject in Nature is Magnetical) is Man, and principally (Hadamah, the Dust, red earth of Man), which in the months of March, April and May, the Sun in Aries and Taurus is abundantly found in the blood of a healthy man; the Spirit of the Universe during this season residing therein most abundantly, universally and unspecified.

Hadamah signifies the first man Adam or Red Earth, which appears when the subject is dried up. In Hadamah lies concealed the blood that precious fluid wherein dwells the Universal Spirit, attracted by inspiration, and the Dust of the Red Earth, left by itself when the Universal fire nature quits it. This Universal Fire is truly Nature.

4 ~ The happy success depends on the subject being good, from a young man, if possible of a Jovial Temper or Choleric, in good health, collected in a proper season, which is in March, April and, at farthest, in May, while the Sun is in Aries and Taurus: best after Northerly winds have prevailed.

This is the first of all Works, the most simple, the least expensive, the easiest and the greatest in its effects. There are various works and different processes, but this is the oldest.

1st ~ The subject contains fire, air, water and earth, and requires no addition of any foreign matter, except when introduced into the metallic department.

It contains the fire of Nature, or the Universal Spirit, with Air its vehicle it contains Water, which must be separated from it in the beginning of the work and also earth which remains behind in the form of caput mortuum, where the fire has left it, and is the true Red Earth wherein the fire dwelt for a while. The subject, duly collected, should not be less than eight nor more than sixteen ounces: place it in a china or glazed basin and cover it loosely to keep the dust out.

2nd ~ In five or six hours time the first natural separation is made: the water is carefully poured off as useless and pernicious.

(This water is called the Waters of the Deluge, which are not easily dried up.)

The cold subject is placed in a double piece of clean linen in a clean china basin, in order that the superfluous water may be soaked up or absorbed by the linen, and that the cake may become dry, in a cool shady place, free from dust. This superfluous water would retard and hinder putrefaction, which is the key to regeneration.

3rd ~ As soon as the Cake is freed from all superfluous humidity, cut it to pieces with an ivory knife (do not touch it with any metal) and put it by means of a glass funnel into your Globe Glass.

4th ~ The globe glass is immediately to be shut with a stopper made of oak, which fits nicely, in order that the superfluous remaining humidity (the phlegm) may, during the putrefaction, penetrate and evaporate through the pores of the oak.

The joining of the neck and the stopper must be luted with something that is able to resist outward warmth and moisture.

5th ~ Place your luted globe glass or glasses (for it is most prudent to work with five or six glasses at once, from as many different good subjects) in a hogshead or wine pipe, filled two-thirds full with horse dung already in proper fermentation, so as to show a degree of heat from 120 to 140 or 150 degrees by Fahrenheit's thermometer. The greatest heat is in the middle, where it is generally from 140 to 150 degrees: less heat is round the staves where it varies from 90 to 100 and from that to 120 degrees.

Your horse dung must be procured before, as it takes sometimes five, six or more days before it ferments and gives the necessary heat. This is soon discovered by the steam arising from it, and by the thermometer buried in it nine or ten inches deep.

You must have two hogsheads or casks, in order to prepare a second before the fermenting heat has entirely left the first; which heat seldom lasts longer than three weeks; as your work must never become cold one single moment. You must cover the top with clean straw pretty thick, and also all round the casks, especially in winter, or the work will be too cold and your operation will be very much retarded, if not fail.

6th ~ Your bath thus previously prepared, and your glasses well luted and varnished all round the joining of the neck and stopper, except the surface of the oak, bury them in the bath all round the cask, where the gentlest heat prevails, deep enough that only the upper part of the neck and stopper, that which is luted, may be in sight or level with the surface of the bath. If they were buried in the middle in the beginning of the work your subject would dry up instead of liquefying and putrefying.

7th ~ Every morning and night take out your glasses and shake them gently every one, by a circular motion, in order to promote the solution of the red earth, which is generally effected in two or three weeks time. The whole earth dissolves into a deep ruby-red liquid, called by us Aqua Permanens or Chaos.

After this liquefaction is accomplished the glasses are shaken no more, it being then unnecessary.

8th ~ In this manner, pursuing this most simple process, moving your glasses from one cask into the other, as often as your heat ceases, you must proceed with your horse dung bath during eight or nine months time, sometimes longer, as the exact time cannot be ascertained by any one (the philosophers say "coque nec desine coquere") taking care never to suffer your work to become cold, so that the glasses may feel cold, not for one moment, as in that case your labour would be lost.

The surface of your oak stoppers will turn black and moist from the penetrating flegm. This causes the stoppers to swell and will burst the neck of every one of the globe-glasses, if you have not previously secured those necks with strips of linen pasted round them, and harpsichord wire wound over the linen, with a varnish over the whole, and with lute where the stopper joins the upper brim of the neck. This lute may be sealing wax dropped on (all round) by a burning candle, or rosin, or quick drying varnish, thickened with filings of iron, or any other good luting that can withstand warmth and moisture; but take care to keep the bottom of the stopper in sight, by not covering the neck of the glass quite so low as to hide it.

9th ~ After liquefaction of the subject, putrefaction takes place immediately. At first you see veins resembling Mercury running down from the neck to the permanent ruby water. After those veins or streams are vanished the Peacock's Tail begins to appear all round the globe, sometimes coloured like the Rainbow, sometimes purple, green, nay Gold and Silver colours, most wonderfully beautiful, present themselves.

10th ~ During putrefaction, which generally lasts 150 days, sometimes longer, the subject smells through the stopper like a human corpse; sometimes so strongly as to be smelled all over the house; and the colours variegate most beautifully.

1lth ~ After this putrefaction, which is called the Raven's-head, and which generally lasts 150 days or longer, has continued its time, the stench diminishes gradually, and the subject becomes a dry brick-red coloured earth, red earth, or dust, which remains settled at the bottom of the glass. This must not be moved nor disturbed.

12th ~ Then sublimation takes place. the Universal Spirit forsakes the dead body the red earth, ascends and descends invisibly and now produces general colours of large extent; one day the globe is black, some days after it becomes olive-green; after that sky-blue and beautiful parrot-green; then again purple or violet and crimson, mostly in general colours all round the globe. with beautiful small gold, silver, green and purple spots in the neck, like a Peacock's Tail or a Rainbow. Sometimes it looks like polished copper, then like polished steel, and sometimes like bell-metal.

13th ~ After eight or nine months all appears white or, rather, like running mercury, of a metallic colour, and the Universal Spirit sublimes and fixes itself at the bottom of the oak stopper in the neck, and remains there for three or four weeks, as white as Silver; and is the regenerated Universal Spirit, corporified in a sweet fusible salt of Nature, above half fixed.

Below remains a foliated earth of a grey colour, called by us Terra foliata, which is of no use if you choose to take this white salt or sublimate out for multiplication, in order to make the White Medicine; but if you prefer continuing the Digestion, you must by no means open the glass nor meddle with it.

This white sublimate from one glass will not be more than three, four, five or six grains at most.

You have now in your possession the Corporified Spirit of the Universe, the Regenerated Fire of Nature, the Saviour and Regenerator of matter, or the White Medicine in its first infant state, the Urim or Regenerated Light. This is already a universal medicine for the animal creation, but it is to be carried further, to greater perfection.

This sweet salt or sublimate looks like copelled silver, or like the Moon in the Morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcanelli
    Under the biblical tradition of the first man’s Fall, the philosophers, with their customary skill, hid a secret of alchemical nature. Clearly we owe to this fact the existence of the representations of Adam and Eve that we discovered on a few old Renaissance dwellings, and it enables us to explain them. One of those, clearly representative of this intention, will serve as an example for our study. This philosopher’s dwelling located in Le Mans displays, on the second floor, a bas-relief representing Adam, his arm raised to gather the fruit of the tree of knowledge, while Eve is drawing the branch towards hi, with a rope. Both of them are holding phylacteries, attributes meant to express the fact that the two characters have an occult meaning, different from that of Genesis. This motif, worn badly by weathering ---only the larger masses have been spared ---is circumscribed by a crown of foliage, flowers, and fruit, hieroglyphs of a fecund, fertile nature, of abundance and production. To the right and above we can notice among the leprous foliated moldings the image of the sun, while on the left appears that of the moon. The two hermetic stars come to emphasize and further specify the scientific quality and the secular expression of the subject borrowed from the Holy Scripture (Plate X).

Let us notice, in passing, that the secular scenes of the temptation conform themselves to that of religious iconographies. Adam and Eve are always represented, separated by the trunk of the tree of Paradise. In the majority of cases, the snake, coiled around the trunk, is figured with a human head; it appears in this way on the Gothic bas-relief of the ancient Fountain Saint-Maclou, in the church o the same name in Rouen, and on another large tableau decorating a wall of the socalled ‘house of Adam and Eve’, in Montferrand (Puy-de-Dome), which seems to date back to the end of the 14th or the beginnings of the 15th century. On the stalls of Saint-Bernard-de-Comminges (Haute-Garonne), the reptile uncovers its breasted bust, with a woman’s arms and head. The snake of Vitre also exhibits a woman’s head, sculpted on the fourcentered arch of a lovely 15th century door on rue Notre-Dame (Plate XI). On the other hand, the group of the tabernacle of the Cathedral of Valladolid in Spain, made of pure silver remains realistic: the snake is represented in its normal shape and holds an apple in its wide-open mouth, between its fangs.

Adamus, Latin for Adam, means made of red earth; it is the first being of nature, the only one among human creatures who was endowed with the two natures of the androgyne. We can therefore regard him, from the hermetic viewpoint, as the basic matter joined to spirit in the very unity of the created substance, immortal and everlasting. According to the Mosaic tradition, as soon as God gave birth to woman by individualizing, into two distinct and separate bodies, these natures that had been primitively associated in one single body, the first Adam had to withdraw, specifying himself by losing his original constitution and becoming the second Adam, imperfect and mortal. The Adam princeps ---the first Adam ---of whom we have never found any figuration anywhere, is called by the Greeks (Adamos) or (Adamas), a word meaning, on the earthly plane, the hardest of steel, used for (Adamastos), that is to say, indomitable, and still virgin [from the roots , primitive not, and (damao), to tame], which characterizes quite well the profound nature of the first heavenly man and of the first earthly body as being solitary and not subject to the yoke of marriage. But what about this steel called (adamas) about which the philosophers say so much? Plato, in Timaeus, gives us the following explanation.

"Of all the waters which we have called fusible, that which has the most tenuous and the most equal parts, which is the most dense, this unique type with a bright, shining yellow color; the most precious of goods, gold in short, has formed by filtration through stone. The knot of gold having become very hard and black because of its density, is called adamas. Another body, close to gold on account of the smallness of its parts but which shows several species, whose density is lower than that of gold, which contains a weak alloy of very tenuous earth, rendering it harder than gold, and which is also lighter, owing to the pores dug in its mass, is one of these brilliant and condensed water called bronze. When the portion of the earth it contains becomes separated through the agency of time, it becomes visible of itself and it is given the name rust".

The text by the great initiate teaches the distinction of the two successive personalities of the symbolic Adam, which are described in their proper mineral expression of steel and bronze. And the body close to the substance named adamas ---knot or sulphur of gold ---is the second Adam, considered in the organic kingdom as the true father of all men, and in the mineral kingdom as the agent and procreator of the metallic and geologic individuals constituting it.

Thus we learn that sulphur and mercury, generating principles of metals, were originally one and the same matter; for only later did they acquire their specific individuality and retain it in the compounds proceeding from their union. Although this individuality is maintained by a powerful cohesion, art can nevertheless break it and isolate sulphur and mercury in the form specific to them. Sulphur, the active principle, is symbolically designated by the second Adam and mercury, the passive element, by his wife Eve. The latter element or mercury, regarded as the most important, is also the most difficult to obtain in the practice of the Work. Its usefulness is such that the science itself owes its name, hence hermetic philosophy is based on the perfect knowledge of Mercury, in Greek (Hermes). This is being expressed on the bas-relief which accompanies and borders the panel of Adam and Eve on the house of Le Mans. There we can see Bacchus as a child, holding the thrysus, his left hand hiding the opening of a pot, and standing on the lid of a large vase decorated with garlands. Bacchus, emblematic divinity of the mercury of the sages, incarnates a secret meaning similar to that of Eve, mother of the living. In Greece, all Bacchants were called, Eva, a word which has for its root, Evius, a nickname for Bacchus. As for the vessels destined to contain the philosophers’ wine or mercury, they are eloquent enough by themselves to spare us the explanation of their esoteric meaning.

This explanation, albeit logical and complying to the doctrine, is nevertheless insufficient to provide the rationale for certain experimental idiosyncrasies and some obscure points of practice. Indubitably the artist could not pretend to acquire the original matter, that is to say, the first Adam, "formed of red earth"; and the subject of the sages itself, qualified "first matter of the art", is quite removed from the inherent simplicity of the second Adam. Nevertheless, this subject is properly the mother of the Work, just as Eve is the mother of men. It is she who endows the bodies which she bears, or more exactly which she reincrudates, with vitality, vegetativeness, and the possibility of mutation. We shall go further and say for those who already have some smattering of science, that the mother common to all alchemical metals does not enter in substance into the Great Work, although, without her, it is impossible to produce or undertake anything. As a matter of fact, through her intervention, common metals, true and only agents of the stone, are turned into philosophical metals; through her, they are dissolved and purified; in her, they can repossess their lost activity and from having been dead come alive again; she is the earth that nourishes them, makes them grow, fructify, and allows them to multiply; finally, by returning to the motherly womb which had once upon a time formed them and given birth to them, they are reborn, recovering the primitive faculties which human activity had taken away from them. Eve and Bacchus symbolize this philosophical and natural substance --- yet not the first in the sense of unity or universality ---commonly known by the name of Hermes or Mercury. We know, on the other hand, that the winged messenger of the gods was the intermediary between the powers of Mount Olympus, and played in mythology a role analogous to that of mercury in the hermetic work. Hence, we understand more clearly the special nature of its action, and why it does not remain with the bodies which it has diluted, purged, and animated. We can also grasp in which way it is appropriate to understand Basil Valentine when he affirms that metals (4) are creatures twice born from mercury, children of the one and only mother, produced and generated by her. Further we can conceive more clearly where the stumbling-block lies which the philosophers have thrown across our paths when they assert in common agreement that mercury is the unique, sole matter of the Work, whereas the necessary reactions are only provoked by it, which they said either by metaphor or by considering it from a specific viewpoint.

It is also useful to learn that, if we need the cist of Cybele, Ceres, or Bacchus, it is because it contains a mysterious body which is the embryo of our stone; if we need a vase, it is to place the body therein, and everyone knows that, without suitable earth, any seed would become useless. Consequently, we cannot do without a vessel, although that which is contained is infinitely more precious than the container, the latter being destined sooner or later to be separated from the former. Water in and of itself has no shape, although it is liable of espousing them all and of taking that of the container which contains it. This is the reason for our vessel and for its necessity and why philosophers have repeatedly recommended it as the indispensable vehicle, the necessary excipient of our bodies. And this truth finds its justification in the image of the infant Bacchus standing on the lid of a hermetic vessel.

Of the preceding, it is especially important to remember that metals, liquefied and dissociated by mercury, recover the vegetative power they possessed at the time of their appearance on the physical plane. The dissolving agent plays for them the part of a genuine Fountain of Youth. It separates the heterogeneous impurities brought in from the mineral deposits, takes away from them the infirmities contracted throughout the centuries; it reanimates them, gives them new vigor and rejuvenates them. It is the way common metals are reincrudated; that is, put back in a state close to their original state, and from then on they are known as living or philosophical metals. Since they reassume, upon contact with their mother, their original faculties, we can assert that they became close to what she is and have taken a nature similar to hers. On the other hand, as a result of this conformity of complexion, they are obviously incapable of engendering new bodies with their mother, the latter having only a renewing rather than a generating power. Hence we must conclude that the mercury of which we speak and which has for symbol the Eve of the Mosaic Eden, is not the one to which the sages have assigned the role of matrix, of receptacle, the vase, suitable for the reincrudated metal, called sulphur, sun of the philosophers, metallic seed and father of the stone.

Do not be mistaken; there lies the Gordian Knot of the Work, the one that beginners must try to untie if they do not want to be stopped short at the beginning of practice. Hence another mother exists, daughter of the first, whom the masters with an intention easy to guess, have also called mercury. And the differentiation of these two mercuries, one the agent of renewal, the other of procreation, constitutes the most difficult study that the science has reserved for the neophyte.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Where did you get the English translation from, elixirmixer?
    I'd start and take it literally. Black earth would be topsoil of good quality concerning plant growth. Red earth would be some kind of clay-soil with more or less concentration of iron compounds.
    FF, do you have the entire text of this process in German?

Also, there are "easier" ways to render/collect this "Virgin Earth"/"Jungfräuliche Erde" (="Central Salt" in my dictionary), but this practice looks legit enough. Seems worth giving it a go!

Blog Entries
    Well I can see my night has just become jam packed full of READING (must be on the right tract).

Just to clarify nomenclatures, is Our Saltpetre synonymous with virgin earth and Central Salt??

+ Reply to Thread