Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Valuable Alchemical Texts

Valuable Alchemical Texts

Hello, I understand that nature is the best teacher of alchemy but in the hopes to further advance my wisdom through reading I've acquired a few texts over the last several months. I would like to ask those of you who are familiar with some of the texts that I've been studying, which ones you would consider more valuable to the beginning alchemist. I'm sure there are jewels hidden within all of the following, my problem is that I feel I'm reading from too many sources of knowledge and possibly adding to my confusion...

Some texts from my library:

"Golden Chain of Homer" Kirchweger
    "Real Alchemy" Bartlett
    "The Way of the Crucible" Bartlett
    "Alchemist's Handbook" Albertus
    "Spagyrics" Junius
    "The Art of Distillation" French
    "Treatise on the Great Art" Pernety
    "Le Mystere des Cathedrales" Fulcanelli
    "The Philosophers' Stone" Farrell
    "Opus Mago-Cabbalisticum Et Theosophicum" Welling
    "Sacred Geometry, Philosophy and Practice" Lawlor
    "Sacred Geometry" Lundy
    "Pyramid Yantra for Vaastu" Dhara Bhatt
    "Slim Spurling's Universe" Garrison
    "The Tree of Life" Regardie
    "Initiation into Heretics" Bardon
    Last edited by Awani; 09-09-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Modified thread title and made it a sticky; http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?949-Modification-of-Thread-Titles

Hi Nibiru

Here are the good texts for alchemy:
    "Opus Mago-Cabbalisticum Et Theosophicum" Welling

Good texts for spagery:
    "Alchemist's Handbook" Albertus
    "Spagyrics" Junius
    "The Art of Distillation" French

The book that got me on the road Nibiru was,

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

Ghislain
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

The following seems like genuine alchemical treatises to me. You can download most, if not all of them, from the internet for free.

- "New Light of Alchemy" Sethon
    - "Cinq Livres" Nicolas Valois (No English translation)
    - "Dwellings of the Philosophers" Fulcanelli
    - Works of Bernand Compte la marche Trevisane (All his works, especially his epistle to Thomas of Bononia, maybe the most important of the treatises which I had the fortune to study. Unfortunately the English translation of the treatise is very bad.I am looking for a French translation for some time now but I wasn't able to find one till now. Any help at this point is quite welcome).
    - "Ripley Revived" Philalethes

These are the treatises who has helped me most to establish a hermetical worldview (kosmotheasis).

As for archemy and spagyrics, I would rather suggest the works of Basil Valentine, especially his Last Will and Testament.

Out of the list, the following have been most helpful to me:

There are numerous others that have also been helpful, including:

"Summa Perfectionis", Geber
    "Hermes Revealed", Cyliani
    Works of Arnold of Villanova
    Works by Philalethes
    Works by Sendivogius

The more you read, the better your understanding of the hermetic philosophy.

I'd just like to thank everyone for their input!! I've just been reading from so many different authors that I fear I may be complicating the process. I am noticing the mutual connections of the teachings though, which seems important...

Hi Illen Cluf and Green Lion,

Do you believe that the "Golden Chain of Homer" is a work at the same spirit with the works of other authors like Trevisan or Valois. It doesn't seem really alchemical to me.

Hi Hellin Hermetist

Yes, for me the "Golden Chain of Homer" is a part of the biggest books of alchemy. You are not the only alchemist who makes the remark as which this book treats more of spagyric. But when I ask them for what they understood of this work, often I realize that they did not enough read it. So that this book carries its fruits, you should not hesitate to make the proposed experiments (as Guhr and Archeus). And especially, it is necessary to compare the observation of the Nature and this book. First of all: read, read and reread this book.

Then, it is necessary to know that there is the third part in the "Golden Chain of Homer". Two different versions exist of this third part. The one is only pursuing the developments of the observations of the nature. Other version gives very precise alchemical and spagyrical protocols.

Finally, it exists a very rare manuscript writes by Naxagoras which is a theoretical and practical analysis of the Golden Chain of Homer". There is a French handwritten version in the library of the University of Glasgow there.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lion View Post
    Yes, for me the "Golden Chain of Homer" is a part of the biggest books of alchemy. You are not the only alchemist who makes the remark as which this book treats more of spagyric. But when I ask them for what they understood of this work, often I realize that they did not enough read it. So that this book carries its fruits, you should not hesitate to make the proposed experiments (as Guhr and Archeus). And especially, it is necessary to compare the observation of the Nature and this book. First of all: read, read and reread this book.
    Then I shall read again the text and proceed to some practical experiments. Most of them are of the simplest nature and the only thing that they require is patience. It seems that you had some interesting results from that experiments. Fortunately I have the good French translation. Not the one of Backstrom.

Then, it is necessary to know that there is the third part in the "Golden Chain of Homer". Two different versions exist of this third part. The one is only pursuing the developments of the observations of the nature. Other version gives very precise alchemical and spagyrical protocols.
    Thanks for that info. Is this the second version (spagyrical/alchemical protocols) of the third part?
    http://www.levity.com/alchemy/goldenchainIII.html

Finally, it exists a very rare manuscript writes by Naxagoras which is a theoretical and practical analysis of the Golden Chain of Homer". There is a French handwritten version in the library of the University of Glasgow there.
    That's sounds very interesting too. It seems that you had the fortune to study some of the rarest manuscripts. I have read about Naxagoras only form the references at the works of Fulcanelli. Can I find any of his treatises at the net?

Thanks again for these infos. Very appreciated.

Thanks for that info. Is this the second version (spagyrical/alchemical protocols) of the third part?
    http://www.levity.com/alchemy/goldenchainIII.html
    Yes, it is.

That's sounds very interesting too. It seems that you had the fortune to study some of the rarest manuscripts. I have read about Naxagoras only form the references at the works of Fulcanelli. Can I find any of his treatises at the net?
    Here are some works of Naxagoras:
    - Alchymia Denvdata Revisa Et Avcta
    - Chymischer und alchymistischer particularzeiger
    - Experientia Naxagorae, secundum annulos platonicos et Catenam auream Homeri (It is this work which is a comment of the "Golden Chain of Homer")
    - Ausführliche Beschreibung der unweit Zwickau in Meissen zu Niederhohendorff und anderer umliegenden Orten gefundene boldischen Sande
    - Chymischer oder Alchymistischer Particular Zeiger
    - Sancta veritas hermetica, seu, Concordantia philosophorum consistens in sale et sole vel Mercurio et Sulphure
    - Aureum vellus oder güldenes Vließ
    - Abgetrungende und abgezwungene Urthels-Frage, welche er der gantzen ehrbaren Welt zu einer rechtlichen Erkändtnüs zu Rettung seiner Ehren darlegt und fürträgt
    Regrettably, I know no web site which allows to read them.
    Furthermore, there is almost no translation …
    It would be from the very big interest that somebody can all translate them.

+ Reply to Thread