Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Valuable Alchemical Texts

Blog Entries
    We are quite an international and multilingual bunch here, and many of us also have a good command of the English language.

We have folks who speak German, French, Spanish, Italian, Greek, with very good English as well.

And if we look hard I'm sure we could also find Latin or Sanskrit or Hebrew or Arabic or Chinese...

I don't see why we could not work out some translation agreements for the interested parties, based on a platform of fair energy exchange...

It is true that in many cases the French translations are far superior than the English one. See for example the French translation of the "Aurea Catena Homeri" compared to the English translation of Backstrom, the English and French translation of Basil Valentine's "Will and Testament" or the English translation of the aforesaid epistle of Trevisan to Thomas of Bononia which in many points seems meaningless.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellin Hermetist View Post
    It is true that in many cases the French translations are far superior than the English one. See for example the French translation of the "Aurea Catena Homeri" compared to the English translation of Backstrom, the English and French translation of Basil Valentine's "Will and Testament" or the English translation of the aforesaid epistle of Trevisan to Thomas of Bononia which in many points seems meaningless.
    I think it depends less on the language and more on the translator (and his/her understanding of the special writing styles of those works).

I anyone thinks it could work, we could have a sort of 'Translation Market'.

People would post, for example, the languages they are able to faithfully translate (to and from).

Or post a certain work they would very much like to have translated into a preferred language.

Arrangements could then be made via PM (between the interested parties), and when translations are ready, available and found to be reliable - they could be publicly announced on the forum, and a fair energy-exchange platform could be established for other potentially interested individuals.

Just an idea...
    ✂----------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Andro; 06-12-2011 at 04:32 PM.

I agree with you. It has to do with the translator and not with the language. The French proved more careful than the Englishmen most of the time.

Your idea sounds interesting. Let's see what others have to say.

Experientia Naxagorae, Secundum Annulos Platonicos, Et Catenam Auream Homeri

This book is available in German from this library as pdf:

http://vd18-proto.bibliothek.uni-hal...einfo/11622991

direct link:

http://digital.slub-dresden.de/filea.../346373336.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    We are quite an international and multilingual bunch here, and many of us also have a good command of the English language.

We have folks who speak German, French, Spanish, Italian, Greek, with very good English as well.

And if we look hard I'm sure we could also find Latin or Sanskrit or Hebrew or Arabic or Chinese...

I don't see why we could not work out some translation agreements for the interested parties, based on a platform of fair energy exchange...
    has anything come of this in the meantime? I am considering translating "Des Hermes Trismegists wahrer alter N a t u r w e g. " from the German version to English, however it has several Latin paragraphs which I dont speak at all and my English is neither eloquent nor necessarily gramatically correct, although on purely technical terms I could produce a fair translation I guess.
    (Because the text is written in an older version of German it does not lend itself to machine translation at all.)
    However, if this would be a group effort of at least 3 people, one versed in Latin and one re-writing my English, the end product would be quite usable I guess.

also: the German original is 50 pages DIN-A4 (approx. letter size) long.

thoughts? volunteers?
    Last edited by sam; 03-10-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    However, if this would be a group effort of at least 3 people, one versed in Latin and one re-writing my English, the end product would be quite usable I guess.

thoughts? volunteers?
    I will gladly volunteer to re-writing the English.

Illen

Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    I will gladly volunteer to re-writing the English.

Illen
    Dear Sam,

If you're sincerely willing to translate the German "Des Hermes Trismegist wahrer alter Naturweg", I will offer to re-write the English (I have done this for others in the past). Since nobody offered to translate the Latin parts, we can always leave that for later.

Illen

Thank you, but I already have all the Latin parts translated by a German Alchemist plus I most likely already found someone to re-write it. I am 1/3 thru the text (its getting tougher towards the middle though) and I may not publish it in the end because there ARE parts in it that I do not understand in GERMAN, I mean I do understand all the words, but they make no sense, and under such circumstances it would not be very responsible to let that text lose onto the "masses".

If however in the end enough understanding has arisen in me I will publish it either thru BoD or some equivalent and let you all know.

book now confirmed

OK, the book will be published thru LULU and the english part will be re-edited by an american alchemist friend.
    As work-around for the hard-to-translate parts we design the book bi-lingual - left page the original German text, right page the translation. Footnotes will be provided and questionable parts marked as such, in that way the reader can try to get a "second opinion" for those.
    Its based on the hand-written German original published 1782 in Leipzig.

ETA: End of April.

+ Reply to Thread