Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Poetry

Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain
    THE SECOND COMING

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.
    Surely some revelation is at hand;
    Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
    The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
    When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
    Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
    A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
    A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
    Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
    Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.
    The darkness drops again but now I know
    That twenty centuries of stony sleep
    Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
    Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

- William Butler Yeats
    Thanks Ghislain!! The poem is very nice, as well as a little spooky

What meaning do you take from this poem? A second coming of what is he referring??

Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain

Source

What do you see?
    I see balance..
    Last edited by Nibiru; 02-13-2012 at 02:29 AM.
    Still Searching.............

Hi Nibiru

What I see in “A Second Coming” is the balance you mention; a unity of all; understanding.
    I believe this to be cyclic; we have been there before and in its cyclical nature it is coming around
    again. It is going to get worse before it gets better, but it is all good

I noticed that the image in my post above has gone, which moved me to finding it again.

The image is called a Gyre.

Click on image for more information.

When I originally posted the Poem by Yeats I wondered what the image represented. What I found brought
    together this thread and another, “The Seal of Soloman”, and so I will post a link to this thread there.

Below is a link that is also relevant to this thread and worth checking out.

Masterworks of English Literature II
    The Victorians (and beyond)

A brief look at Yeats's system will help you to understand some of the later poems. Click here for a simplified explanation.
    Look at Yeats's Lunar Phases in the link above.

Ghislain
    Last edited by Ghislain; 02-21-2012 at 01:44 PM.
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

Thank you Ghislain

I've finally had a little time to look further into Yeats's work, and some of it seems quite relevant to our present times. I like the idea of the Gyre as a perpetually mobile version of the Yin-Yang, thanks for bringing this to our attention! I do plan to read some of the works from the literature link you posted when I have more time, and I still need to watch the science video you posted in the "Fantasies of the Philosophers" thread...

I originally wrote this in 2006 at a point in my life when I was much more energetically involved with following politics, but I feel that it may be just as relevant in today's times..

ChemoTherapy

-Near is the time we make that choice, They fear the day that we use our voice.

-Humanity is a cancer that's seeking remission,
    -As we act out the parts of patients in submission.
    -We're struggling in a society of manipulative technicians,
    -So there ain't no sleep for the sick because we're on a mission.
    -As the ones who contribute the most expect the least recognition.

-Near is the time we make that choice, They fear the day that we use our voice..

-Politicians plotting as they sit on their throne of gold with their half-wit,
    -While the brain-dead media zombies contently lay in their bed of shit.
    -We're constantly struggling to climb out of the leaders' death pit.
    -Thousands of individual flames in a persistent effort to finally unite,
    -Once we overcome the barriers of separation, our insignificant sparks will equal that of sunlight,
    -Only then will we transcend the ignorance that keeps our hope dimmer than an eternal dark night.
    -When the blind are once again able to see, our oppressors will finally be in for a fight!

-Near is the time we make that choice, They fear the day that we use our voice...

-To flood the masses with knowledge deeper than any pool,
    -To expose their lies they utilize as lobotomist tools.
    -Their means of maintaining control are the epitome of cruel,
    -That's why the wisest among us remain disguised as the 'fools'.
    -The industrial age's synonymous with the depletion of fossil fuel,
    -A time when blood-diamonds are called "ice" because they're supposed to be cool.
    -We strive for freedom while constantly being oppressed by their laws, regulations, and rule.
    -Brainwashing our children with their media, churches, and school.
    -Broke us to the point we've become their beast's of burden- treated no better than an overworked mule.

-Near is the time we make that choice, They fear the day that we use our voice....

-Some of us refuse to condone their slavery by glamorizing their "whips" and their "chains",
    -Choose to swim for equality rather than drown in their ocean of blood, sweat, and rain.
    -Many of us will make our sacrifices and tough out the pain,
    -Countless others will offer them victory, but I choose to refrain.
    -By refusing to bow we'll become victorious as the elite's power structure is slain,
    -Once Anarchy and Peace replace government and rule, only happiness and love shall remain.

-Now is the time to make that choice, Stop playing mute and use your voice!!!!!

Nibiru

Well before its time Nibiru.

I relate to what you have written, but liken it to getting up early in the morning, quietly sitting
    contemplating the days work ahead, wishing it was not to be then inevitably rising to exit for
    another days toil.

Inevitable, but hard work ahead, however we always return home at the end of the day.

The only question is, 'what time do we start'?

I was reading a book in which the author makes a quote from "A Midsummers Night's Dream".
    He states, "Shakespeare set out what might be the definative description of the Romantic poet".

The poet's eye, in fine frenzy rolling,
    Doth glance from heaven to earth, from earth to heaven;
    And as imagination bodies forth
    The form of things unknown, the poet's pen
    Turns them to shapes, and gives to airy nothing
    A local habitation and a name.
    Such tricks hath strong imagination...

Imagination - Spiritus Mundi

Ghislain <- inherently lazy

P.S. I was watching the Johnathan Ross Show tonight and one of his guests was Kiether Sutherland talking
    about a new series that has just been released called "Touch".

I have not seen it, but Sutherland explains the plot about how everyone is connected by a ribbon and that ribbon has become disconnected.

His job, through the help of his supposed autistic son, is to reconnect that ribbon.

Very fitting in today's climate dont you think?
    Last edited by Ghislain; 03-11-2012 at 05:55 AM.
    Open Book

Thanks Ghislain I enjoyed the quote describing the "romantic poet", and yes I would say imagination/consciousness and S.M. are very closely related. This is probably why only a few are able to succeed with the desired alchemical outcome in the lab, while many potentially possess the same 'recipes'/methods yet remain unfruitful in their work. This idea seems to fit well with the "Observer Effect" theory, IMO..
    One of the most bizarre premises of quantum theory, which has long fascinated philosophers and physicists alike, states that by the very act of watching, the observer affects the observed reality.
    From here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0227055013.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post
    P.S. I was watching the Johnathan Ross Show tonight and one of his guests was Kiether Sutherland talking
    about a new series that has just been released called "Touch".

I have not seen it, but Sutherland explains the plot about how everyone is connected by a ribbon and that ribbon has become disconnected.

His job, through the help of his supposed autistic son, is to reconnect that ribbon.

Very fitting in today's climate don't you think?
    I've recently watched a couple episodes of "Touch", thanks for the recommendation. It's quite interesting, if you can get past some of the cheesy/mushy parts that qualify it as a 'drama'. It does seem that the media is evolving with the times. I've also noticed that the networks have been airing shows like "The Matrix", "Alice in Wonderland", "The Never-Ending Story", "Peter Pan", "The Wizard of Oz", etc. much more often recently..

I relate to what you have written, but liken it to getting up early in the morning, quietly sitting
    contemplating the days work ahead, wishing it was not to be then inevitably rising to exit for
    another days toil.

Inevitable, but hard work ahead, however we always return home at the end of the day.
    Sorry, would you mind explaining this to me in a different way. I don't quite understand the analogy.

The only question is, 'what time do we start'?
    There's always only ONE 'time', is there not?

Quote Originally Posted by Nibiru
    -Now is the time to make that choice, Stop playing mute and use your voice!!!!!
    Last edited by Nibiru; 05-02-2012 at 04:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    Expands His Being

All beings are words of God,
    His music, His art.
    Sacred books we are, for the infinite camps in our souls.
    Every act reveals God and expands His being.
    I know that may be hard to comprehend.
    All creatures are doing their best
    to help God in His birth of Himself.

Enough talk for the night.
    He is laboring in me;
    I need to be silent for a while,
    worlds are forming in my heart.

- Meister Eckhart
    http://serpentrioarquila.blogspot.com/

"To conjure is nothing else than to observe anything rightly, to know and understand what it is." - Paracelsus

"Why, then, don't you act when you see the danger of your conditioning? The answer is you don't see... seeing is acting." J. Krishnamurti

Ragnarok

In dreams (Coleridge writes), images take the shape of the effects we believe they cause. We are not terrified because some sphinx is threatening us but rather dream of a sphinx in order to explain the terror we are feeling. If this is the case, how can a simple account of such imaginings communicate the dread and the thrills, the adventure, anxieties, and joys conjured by last night’s dream? I am going to attempt to do this all the same. Perhaps the fact that the entire dream consisted of a single scene will erase or ease this fundamental difficulty.

It took place in the Humanities Building, at dusk. As often happens in dreams, everything was somehow different: everything had been affected by a slight enlargement. We were electing people to committees. I was chatting with Pedro Henriquez Urena, who in reality has been dead for many years. Suddenly we were assaulted by the racket of a street band or a demonstration. The cries of people and animals reached us from the Lower City. A voice cried: "Here they come!" then: "It’s the Gods!" Four or five individuals emerged from the mob and took their places on the stage of the lecture hall. We all cheered, weeping: it was the Gods, coming back after centuries of exile. The stage made them taller: they threw their heads back and thrust their chests forward in haughty acceptance of our homage. One of them was holding a bow of the kind no doubt required by the simplistic botany of dreams; another made a broad gesture with his hand, which was a claw; one of Janus’s faces looked apprehensively at the curving beak of Thoth. Stirred perhaps by our cheers, another one – I’m no longer sure which one – broke out in triumphant but incredibly harsh clacking, complete with gargles and whistles. From that point on, things began to change.

It was all due to our perhaps precipitous suspicion that the Gods did not know how to talk. Hundreds of years of living like animals on the run had atrophied their human dimension. The moon of Islam and the Roman Cross had been merciless with these fugitives. The decadence of the Olympic bloodline was evident in their beetling brows, yellowed teeth, patchy half-breed or Chinese whiskers, and bestial protruding lips. Their clothing spoke not of genteel poverty but of the flashy bad taste of the Lower City’s back rooms and bordellos. A carnation bled from one buttonhole; we detected the outline of a dagger under a tight-fitting jacket. All at once we sensed that they were playing their last card, that they had grown sly, stultified and cruel like aging beasts of prey, and that they would destroy us if we allowed ourselves to be swayed by fear or pity.

We drew our heavy pistols (in the dream, they just appeared) and cheerfully put the Gods to death.

-Jorge Luis Borges

Eureka

While watching a program on TV called QI, hosted by Stephen Fry, Fry proposed that Edgar Allan Poe predicted
    the theory of the Big Bang in his last poem Eureka...this raised a spark of interest for me to search it out.

Eureka (1848) is a lengthy non-fiction work by American author Edgar Allan Poe which he subtitled
    "A Prose Poem", though it has also been subtitled as "An Essay on the Material and Spiritual
    Universe". Adapted from a lecture he had presented, Eureka describes Poe's intuitive conception of
    the nature of the universe with no scientific work done to reach his conclusions. He also discusses
    man's relationship with God, whom he compares to an author. It is dedicated to the German
    naturalist and explorer Alexander von Humboldt. Though it is generally considered a literary work,
    some of Poe's ideas anticipate discoveries of the 20th century. Indeed a critical analysis of the
    scientific content of Eureka reveals a non-causal correspondence with modern cosmology due to the
    assumption of an evolving Universe, but excludes the anachronistic anticipation of relativistic
    concepts such as black holes.
    Source: Eureka: A Prose Poem Wikipedia.

PREFACE.

“To the few who love me and whom I love—to those who feel rather than to those who think—to
    the dreamers and those who put faith in dreams as in the only realities—I offer this Book of Truths,
    not in its character of Truth-Teller, but for the Beauty that abounds in its Truth; constituting it true.
    To these I present the composition as an Art-Product alone:—let us say as a Romance; or, if I be not
    urging too lofty a claim, as a Poem.

What I here propound is true:—therefore it cannot die:—or if by any means it be now trodden down
    so that it die, it will rise again to the Life Everlasting.

Nevertheless it is as a Poem only that I wish this work to be judged after I am dead.”

E. A. P.

At nearly 40,000 words in length I thought it best to place a LINK to the poem rather than paste the
    text here in its entirety.

I have not read it all yet, but a purusal of it has grabbed my interest.

Ghislain
    Last edited by Ghislain; 07-15-2012 at 11:58 PM.
    Open Book

I've always liked Poe's works but always assumed that he only wrote fiction, I'll be looking into this further..

Thanks Ghislain

+ Reply to Thread