Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Suspended Crocodiles

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    Wow, Karl, you really seem to have nailed this.

It certainly sounds like a far better match, both to the thinking of the age, in general, and Alchemists in particular, than any of my speculations.

Thanks!
    Albion, I've wondered about those crocodiles for awhile. Your thread got me off my ass to research an answer so thank you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Sobek, the Egyptian crocodile god cures ills.
    Yes Sobek is probably the key. All things come from Egypt anyway so it is only natural for it to remain in later cultures.

Egyptians who worked or travelled on the Nile hoped that if they prayed to Sobek, the crocodile/Nile god, he would protect them from being attacked by crocodiles... As a creator god, he [Sobek] was occasionally linked with the sun god Ra... Gradually, Sobek also came to symbolize the produce of the Nile and the fertility that it brought to the land; its status thus became more ambiguous... a representation of strength and power... the symbol of royal authority - the uraeus. He was also shown with an ankh, representing his ability to undo evil and so cure ills. Once he had become Sobek-Ra, he was also shown with a sun-disc over his head, as Ra was a sun god... Sobek was credited for catching the Four sons of Horus in a net as they emerged from the waters of the Nile in a lotus blossom. - source

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Gee, I wish I hadn't cut open the 2' brown alligator my Nana brought me from Miami Beach when I was very little. If you can find one, it's an antique and a fortune.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    Thanks for the Crocodile/Saturn connection, Aleilius [not that I know what to do with it, at the moment].
    Plato called Saturn "the great renewer".

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

'LOST'

Blog Entries
    MTG,

Albion already mentioned the Crocodile Deity from 'Lost' earlier on this thread.

Personally, I find Lost to have extremely strong and at time quite explicit Alchemical implications.

Blog Entries
    From my current perspective, I now see this crocodile as a creature which
    emerges from the waters onto land, and then returns to waters, recycle.
    As in the purifying of the black earth into volatile alkali by repeated distillations
    and cohobations. Or repeated deliquescence and evaporation.
    Synonymous with the devil-lucifer-baphomet and Solve-coagula:

http://serpentrioarquila.blogspot.com/

"To conjure is nothing else than to observe anything rightly, to know and understand what it is." - Paracelsus

"Why, then, don't you act when you see the danger of your conditioning? The answer is you don't see... seeing is acting." J. Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    MTG,

Albion already mentioned the Crocodile Deity from 'Lost' earlier on this thread.

Personally, I find Lost to have extremely strong and at time quite explicit Alchemical implications.
    D'OH! My bad. Spontaneity can be replicative with similar psyches.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkostheGnostic View Post
    Spontaneity can be replicative with similar psyches.
    LOL ! How very true!

It (the repetition) was worth it, even if only for the above statement

Blog Entries
    I really liked seeing the picture.
    If it was there before, I missed it. So thanks.
    http://serpentrioarquila.blogspot.com/

"To conjure is nothing else than to observe anything rightly, to know and understand what it is." - Paracelsus

"Why, then, don't you act when you see the danger of your conditioning? The answer is you don't see... seeing is acting." J. Krishnamurti

+ Reply to Thread