Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yin - Yang

Yin - Yang

How does one intuitively know which of two poles is Yin and which is Yang?

For Example there are opposites such as:

Left/Right
    Hot/Cold
    Light/Dark
    Love/Hate
    Yes/No

Right/Left
    Cold/Hot
    Dark/Light
    Hate/Love
    No/Yes

One can find lists of some of these expressing This is Yin and That is Yang, but what are the rules that make it so?

Does anyone have an answer?

Ghislain
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

Blog Entries
    Well, also think male/female, +/-, sun/moon, fire/water.
    Yang is male, yin is female. That's the easiest way to conjecture the rest IMO.
    Scientifically, we look at electricity (yang) and magnetism (yin).

Intuitively? Not an easy question. Sometimes dreams show us things manifesting as men or women,
    if you can realize what the thing is instead of thinking it IS a man or a woman.
    http://serpentrioarquila.blogspot.com/

"To conjure is nothing else than to observe anything rightly, to know and understand what it is." - Paracelsus

"Why, then, don't you act when you see the danger of your conditioning? The answer is you don't see... seeing is acting." J. Krishnamurti

I think it's a trick of the mind. How do you interpret something singular with a polar interpretation system (the brain is dual)? The single image always takes on a dual appearance/interpretation after that.

Funny enough, your brain plays another trick: your right is actually your left, and your left is your right. Let's not forget, and mark well this: it's also upside down.

Don't forget what Aiwass communicated to Crowley: "Paste the sheets from right to left and from top to bottom: then behold!" Do thou this!

The kingdom is the crown,
    look up to look down;
    behold the heaven turned round,
    kingdom as ground!

Birds slither, and snakes fly.
    Last edited by Aleilius; 07-23-2011 at 02:44 AM.

What Solomon Levi & Aleilius said. And also:

Yang acts; yin responds.
    Yang penetrates; yin yields and envelops.
    Yang moves and exerts; yin envelops and absorbs.

They both take possession of each other. Ebb and flow, give and take.

In terms of hot/cold: Yang is traditionally associated with heat. Because heat actively changes things through the expenditure of energy.
    In terms of left/right - your dominant hand is yang. Which for most people is the right. Lateralists try to force everyone to be right handed. Which makes sense only in cultures where your secondary hand is your toilet paper.

Hate can be yin or yang, depending on the shape your hate takes. Same with love.

Quote Originally Posted by aase View Post
    Hate can be yin or yang, depending on the shape your hate takes. Same with love.
    IMHO this is the material for a whole other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by solomon levi View Post
    Thread: Love
    Ghislain
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

Ghislain, yin and yang can be seen many ways, the most prevalent being good and evil as well as hot and cold. How does one know what good is? Only those who have witnessed the worst of all evil can even begin to comprehend the greatest of all good, and this is done through comparison. As well, when looking at the symbol of yin and yang, you can see that there is a seed of evil in good and a seed of good in evil. AS WELL, to bring this to an even more philosophical and esoteric lesson, how does one know what hot is? By knowing cold by comparison right? However, cold is an illusion, cold is quite literally the lack of thermal energy or heat. Therefore cold does not exsist. Now if you have heat on one side and lack of heat on the other (energy on one side and none on the other) the energy will follow the path of least resistance in order to balance itself, thus the yin yang becomes mobile. Once it starts spinning you look at the symbol and no longer have black and white, but various shades of grey.

While there are many interpretations of yin yang, and I'm sure you probably weren't asking for them, this has been shown to me through my meditations many times, so I figured I'd share.

Quote Originally Posted by solomon levi View Post
    Well, also think male/female, +/-, sun/moon, fire/water.
    Yang is male, yin is female. That's the easiest way to conjecture the rest IMO.
    Scientifically, we look at electricity (yang) and magnetism (yin).

Intuitively? Not an easy question. Sometimes dreams show us things manifesting as men or women, if you can realize what the thing is instead of thinking it IS a man or a woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleilius View Post
    I think it's a trick of the mind. How do you interpret something singular with a polar interpretation system (the brain is dual)? The single image always takes on a dual appearance/interpretation after that.

Funny enough, your brain plays another trick: your right is actually your left, and your left is your right. Let's not forget, and mark well this: it's also upside down.
    The kingdom is the crown,
    look up to look down;
    behold the heaven turned round,
    kingdom as ground!
    Quote Originally Posted by aase View Post
    What Solomon Levi & Aleilius said. And also:

Yang acts; yin responds.
    Yang penetrates; yin yields and envelops.
    Yang moves and exerts; yin envelops and absorbs.

They both take possession of each other. Ebb and flow, give and take.

In terms of hot/cold: Yang is traditionally associated with heat. Because heat actively changes things through the expenditure of energy.
    In terms of left/right - your dominant hand is yang. Which for most people is the right. Lateralists try to force everyone to be right handed. Which makes sense only in cultures where your secondary hand is your toilet paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Frater IA View Post
    Ghislain, yin and yang can be seen many ways, the most prevalent being good and evil as well as hot and cold.

How does one know what good is? Only those who have witnessed the worst of all evil can even begin to comprehend the greatest of all good, and this is done through comparison.

As well, when looking at the symbol of yin and yang, you can see that there is a seed of evil in good and a seed of good in evil.

AS WELL, to bring this to an even more philosophical and esoteric lesson, how does one know what hot is? By knowing cold by comparison right? However, cold is an illusion, cold is quite literally the lack of thermal energy or heat. Therefore cold does not exsist.

Now if you have heat on one side and lack of heat on the other (energy on one side and none on the other) the energy will follow the path of least resistance in order to balance itself, thus the yin yang becomes mobile. Once it starts spinning you look at the symbol and no longer have black and white, but various shades of grey.

While there are many interpretations of yin yang, and I'm sure you probably weren't asking for them, this has been shown to me through my meditations many times, so I figured I'd share.

"Our Saturn endeavors to devour the white color that appears after blackness, but the same is changed into a stone. For though Saturn devours the stone yet by continual concoction it is cast up again. Our thus dissolved matter is coagulated into the stone of the Wise men, which is dissolved again, and in this manner Saturn always devours a stone instead of Jupiter, which he spews up upon Helicon, until at length it becomes our blessed Stone which is dedicated to Wisdom."
    "The Chemist's Key" by Henry Nollius, 1617

"Now let us revolve to the Black matter in its Vessel, (not so much as once opened), but continually closed: Let this Vessel I say, stand continually in the moist fire, till such time as the White Colour appears, like to a white moist Salt.
    Phares saith, Seeing the Whiteness appearing above in the Vessel, you may be certain, that in the Whiteness, the Redness lies hid"

"Radix Mundi" by Roger Bacon, 1290

"By its continual circulation, kept up by means of external heat, it drops down continually on the matter - rising as a dew and continually trickling down the sides of the glass; and so continually re-moistening the matter below. By this means a matter that to all appearance is incorruptible is brought into a state of putrefaction- the blackness of death follows- but the dead will revive again uniting all three into a glorified body."
    "A Way To Operate The Elixir"

"Virtue must be increased by a wise management of the Matter: you must circulate this Menstruum in the Unctuous humidity in a Vessel of Circulation, by rotation continually."
    "Medulla Alchimae" by George Ripley, 1471

"All the strange Parables which the Philosophers have spoken mystically, of a Stone, a Moon, a Furnace, a Vessel, all this is Saturn; for you must not put any strange thing unto it, only what comes from it, therefore there, is none so poor in this world, which cannot operate and promote this work; for Luna may be easily made of Saturn, in a short time, and in a little longer time Sol may be made out of it. And though a man be poor, yet may he very well attain unto it, and may be employed to make the Philosophers Stone.
    Wherefore my Child, all is concealed in Saturn, which we have need of, for in it is a perfect Mercury, in it are all the Colours of the world, which may be discovered in it; in it are the true black, white and red Colours, in it is the weight, it is our Lattin."

"A Work Of Saturn" by Isaac Hollandus, 1670

"The colour black was given to Saturn. In spagyric art he is the hieroglyph for lead, in astrology, a maleficent planet; in hermeticism, the black dragon or Philosophers' Lead; in magic, the black Hen, etc. In the Egyptian temples, when a new member was about to undergo the initiatory ordeals, a priest approached him and whispered this mysterious sentence in his ear: 'Remember that Osiris is a black god!' This is the symbolical colour of the shades and the Cimmerian darkness, the colour of Satan, to whom black roses were offered. It is also the colour of primitive Chaos, in which the seeds of all things are confused and mixed. It is the sable of the science of heraldry and the emblem of the element earth, of night and death.
    Just as in Genesis day succeeds night, so light succeeds darkness. Its signature is the colour White. The Wise assure us that when their matter has reached this degree, it is freed from all impurity, perfectly cleansed and very exactly purified. It then takes on the appearance of solid granulations or shining corpuscles, reflecting like diamonds and of a dazzling whiteness. White has also been used to denote purity, simplicity and innocence. White is the colour of the Initiates, because the man, who abandons darkness to follow light, passes from the profane state to that of the Initiate, the Pure. He is spiritually renewed."

"The Mystery Of The Cathedrals" by Fulcanelli, 1926
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Some see the microcosm within the flask as composed of two opposites...a yin up top and a yang below. The upper salt can be viewed as being a fixed salt as well because it remains and drives the work until the time of its waning."

See also: "The Great One Gives Birth To The Waters"

Also: "Our Circulation"

Blog Entries
    two tears in a bucket.

Some of the responses in this thread have done a pretty good job paraphrasing this:

Dao gives birth to One
    One gives birth to Two
    Two give birth to Three
    Three give birth to ten-thousand things
    The ten-thousand things carry yin and embrace yang
    They mix these energies to enact harmony
    People dislike being poor, abandoned and alone
    Yet this is how kings and nobles consider themselves
    For by decreasing things we increase them
    And by increasing things we decrease them
    That which others teach I also teach
    One who forces things will not have a proper death
    I shall take this as the father of my teaching
    -Dao de Jing, Chapter 42

Frater IA brought up the spinning, and several of the excerpts included by Schmuldvich mention "rotation". For me this is immediately bringing to mind the (related) swastika. I had a nice infographic displaying this, but of course I can't find it.. this will have to do:

'The science of Yantra ('junt-ruh') is the ancient yogic study of symbols and forms and how they affect the mind and the wider environment. That branch of knowledge asserts that the counter-clockwise swastika will lead to permanent victory, while the clockwise-rotating symbol will lead to annihilation. Furthermore, in Yoga, the counter-clockwise swastika is said to 'unwind' the kundalinii - the latent spiritual potentiality. The opposite direction is said to bind it more tightly. I have read that in Hinduism, the counter-clockwise symbol represents 'evolution' of the universe and of mind, and the clockwise symbol represents 'involution', or collapse.'

I've seen this simplified as "good/evil".. or representing Kali and.. Shiva (? i think). I'm really not sure if this is connected to which way the swastika is facing, or which way either version is rotating.

There's echoes of this in the Sefer Yetzira:

'The wheel rotates backwards and forwards. And this is the sign: if for good, above pleasure, and if for evil, below pain.'
    A symbol in the West which incorporates a lot of this is the Wheel of Fortune (predates its inclusion in Tarot).. While one side ascends, the other descends. Sometimes further simplified as Scales/balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmuldvich View Post
    "Our Saturn endeavors to devour the white color that appears after blackness, but the same is changed into a stone. For though Saturn devours the stone yet by continual concoction it is cast up again. Our thus dissolved matter is coagulated into the stone of the Wise men, which is dissolved again, and in this manner Saturn always devours a stone instead of Jupiter, which he spews up upon Helicon, until at length it becomes our blessed Stone which is dedicated to Wisdom."
    "The Chemist's Key" by Henry Nollius, 1617

"Now let us revolve to the Black matter in its Vessel, (not so much as once opened), but continually closed: Let this Vessel I say, stand continually in the moist fire, till such time as the White Colour appears, like to a white moist Salt.
    Phares saith, Seeing the Whiteness appearing above in the Vessel, you may be certain, that in the Whiteness, the Redness lies hid"

"Radix Mundi" by Roger Bacon, 1290

"By its continual circulation, kept up by means of external heat, it drops down continually on the matter - rising as a dew and continually trickling down the sides of the glass; and so continually re-moistening the matter below. By this means a matter that to all appearance is incorruptible is brought into a state of putrefaction- the blackness of death follows- but the dead will revive again uniting all three into a glorified body."
    "A Way To Operate The Elixir"

"Virtue must be increased by a wise management of the Matter: you must circulate this Menstruum in the Unctuous humidity in a Vessel of Circulation, by rotation continually."
    "Medulla Alchimae" by George Ripley, 1471

"All the strange Parables which the Philosophers have spoken mystically, of a Stone, a Moon, a Furnace, a Vessel, all this is Saturn; for you must not put any strange thing unto it, only what comes from it, therefore there, is none so poor in this world, which cannot operate and promote this work; for Luna may be easily made of Saturn, in a short time, and in a little longer time Sol may be made out of it. And though a man be poor, yet may he very well attain unto it, and may be employed to make the Philosophers Stone.
    Wherefore my Child, all is concealed in Saturn, which we have need of, for in it is a perfect Mercury, in it are all the Colours of the world, which may be discovered in it; in it are the true black, white and red Colours, in it is the weight, it is our Lattin."

"A Work Of Saturn" by Isaac Hollandus, 1670

"The colour black was given to Saturn. In spagyric art he is the hieroglyph for lead, in astrology, a maleficent planet; in hermeticism, the black dragon or Philosophers' Lead; in magic, the black Hen, etc. In the Egyptian temples, when a new member was about to undergo the initiatory ordeals, a priest approached him and whispered this mysterious sentence in his ear: 'Remember that Osiris is a black god!' This is the symbolical colour of the shades and the Cimmerian darkness, the colour of Satan, to whom black roses were offered. It is also the colour of primitive Chaos, in which the seeds of all things are confused and mixed. It is the sable of the science of heraldry and the emblem of the element earth, of night and death.
    Just as in Genesis day succeeds night, so light succeeds darkness. Its signature is the colour White. The Wise assure us that when their matter has reached this degree, it is freed from all impurity, perfectly cleansed and very exactly purified. It then takes on the appearance of solid granulations or shining corpuscles, reflecting like diamonds and of a dazzling whiteness. White has also been used to denote purity, simplicity and innocence. White is the colour of the Initiates, because the man, who abandons darkness to follow light, passes from the profane state to that of the Initiate, the Pure. He is spiritually renewed."

"The Mystery Of The Cathedrals" by Fulcanelli, 1926
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Some see the microcosm within the flask as composed of two opposites...a yin up top and a yang below. The upper salt can be viewed as being a fixed salt as well because it remains and drives the work until the time of its waning."

See also: "The Great One Gives Birth To The Waters"

Also: "Our Circulation"
    The axis of the heart's electromagnetic field is tilted at an angle to the body axis, similar to the tilt of the Earth's Magnetic field. In the Tao we believe that the heart tilts 45 degrees towards the North Star, and that the North Star exerts a strong pull on the heart.

The Great Union and the Lesser Union

The Union of Kan and Li

The Cantong qi uses several sets of emblems that represent different aspects of the relation of the cosmos to
    the Dao: unity, duality, and multiplicity. Two of these
    sets are especially important.
    The first one is formed by four of the eight trigrams of
    the Book of Changes, namely Qian ☰, Kun ☷, Kan ☵,
    and Li ☲. Qian and Kun represent the primary modes
    taken on by the Dao in its self-manifestation: Qian
    stands for its active (Yang, “creative”) aspect, and Kun
    stands for its passive (Yin, “receptive”) aspect. The permanent conjunction of Qian and Kun in the precosmic
    domain gives birth to the cosmos. In that everlasting instant, the Yang of Qian ☰ moves into Kun ☷, which becomes Kan ☵; in response, the Yin of Kun ☷ moves into
    Qian ☰, which becomes Li ☲. Kan and Li therefore replace Qian and Kun in the cosmos, but harbor them as
    their own inner essences (their inner lines). Therefore
    Yin contains True Yang (the inner line of Kan ☵), and
    Yang contains True Yin (the inner line of Li ☲).

While the main images of Qian and Kun are Heaven
    and Earth, which never exchange their positions, the main images of Kan and Li are the Moon and the Sun,
    which alternate in their growth and decline in the compass of space and the cycles of time. The Cantong qi
    states, however, that Qian, Kun, Kan, and Li are all
    “within empty Non-Being.” Space and time, therefore,
    allow the One Breath (yiqi) of the Dao to operate in the
    cosmos.

Qian ☰ the firm and Kun ☷ the yielding join and
    embrace one another; Yang endows, Yin receives, the
    masculine and the feminine attend one to the other.
    Attending, they create and transform, unfolding their
    Essence and Breath.
    Kan ☵ and Li ☲ are at the fore: their radiance and glow
    come down and spread out. Mysterious and obscure,
    this can hardly be fathomed and cannot be pictured or
    charted. The sages gauged its depth; one with it, they
    set forth its foundation.
    These four, in indistinction, are right within Empty NonBeing. Sixty hexagrams revolve around them,
    outspread like a chariot. Harnessing a dragon and a
    mare, the bright noble man holds the reins of time.
    In harmony there are following and compliance: the
    path is level and begets no evil. Evil ways obstruct and
    hamper: they endanger the kingdom.
    Cantong qi (Seal of the Unity of the Three)

The
    five agents are generated by the division of Unity into
    Yin and Yang, and by the further subdivision of Yin and
    Yang into four states. In alchemy as a whole, Water
    and Fire are the Yin and Yang of the postcelestial state,
    and Wood and Metal are the True Yin and True Yang of
    the precelestial state. Soil, the fifth agent, has both a
    Yang and a Yin aspect. Being at the center of the other
    agents, it stands for the source from which they derive;
    it partakes of all of them and guarantees the conjunction of the world of multiplicity to the state of Unity.

The Realized Man in the Cantong qi
    Innerly nourish yourself, serene and quiescent in Empty
    Non-Being. Going back to the fundament conceal your
    light, and innerly illuminate your body.
    Shut the openings and raise and strengthen the
    Numinous Trunk; as the three luminaries sink into the
    ground, warmly nourish the Pearl.
    Ears, eyes, and mouth are the three treasures: shut
    them, and let nothing pass through. The Realized Man
    withdraws in the depths of the abyss; drifting and
    roaming, he keeps to the compass.
    When the three have been latched, repose your body in
    an empty room, and give your will to returning to
    Empty Non-Being; without thoughts you attain
    constancy.
    Going back and forth brings obstruction: if focused,
    your Heart will not wander or stray. In sleep, embrace
    your Spirit; when awake, watch over existence and
    extinction.
    Cantong qi (Seal of the Unity of the Three)

Great post - I have much more to add hope you enjoy

Excellent insight, White Belt. Thank you for sharing!

+ Reply to Thread