Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Quote Collection

Blog Entries

Great Quote Collection

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” ~ Frank Herbert

"Few Are Those Who See With Their Own Eyes And Feel With Their Own Hearts" - Albert Einstein

People Often Say
    That This Or That Person
    Has Not Found Himself.
    But The Self Is Not Something
    One Finds, It Is Something One Creates. - Thomas Szasz

"A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move toward higher levels." - Albert Einstein

When someone suggests something that may seem at first to be outrageous, listen and be curious. Avoid being judgmental. - Dr. Wayne Dyer

Research has shown that a simple act of kindness directed toward another improves the functioning of the immune system and stimulates the production of serotonin in both the recipient of the kindness and the person extending the kindness. Kindness extended, received, or observed beneficially impacts the physical health and feelings of everyone involved! - Dr. Wayne Dyer

“The spiritual journey does not consist in arriving at a new destination where a person gains what he did not have, or becomes what he is not. It consists in the dissipation of one’s own ignorance concerning one’s self and life, and the gradual growth of that understanding which begins the spiritual awakening. The finding of God is a coming to one’s self.” - Aldous Huxley

Hold no grudges and practice forgiveness. This is the key to having peace in all your relationships. - Dr. Wayne Dyer

"Proof Has Become Mankind's Obsession. It Is An Intellectual Attachment Which, Rather Than Expanding Your Horizons, Is Rapidly Becoming A Restriction"

"There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious."
    ~ Carl Gustav Jung

"A man must first of all understand certain things. He has thousands of false ideas and false conceptions, chiefly about himself, and he must get rid of some of them before beginning to acquire anything new. Otherwise the new will be built on a wrong foundation and the result will be worse than before. To speak the truth is the most difficult thing in the world; one must study a great deal and for a long time in order to speak the truth. The wish alone is not enough. To speak the truth one must know what the truth is and what a lie is, and first of all in oneself. And this nobody wants to know."
    ~ G.I. Gurdjieff

"Education Is What Remains After One Has Forgotten What One Has Learned In School" - Albert Einstein

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm. But the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it. Because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves."
    ~ T. S. Eliot

"Remember that any time you're filled with resentment, you're turning the controls of your emotional life over to others to manipulate." - Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

"Many become popular because they speak and write with a reductionist style that brings the complex and disturbing down into canned formulas of what spiritual growth is supposedly all about. Dozens of such New Age authors could bring their works together into one large volume entitled, "How To Become Aware of the Depths of You Being Without Disturbing the Routine of Your Comfortable Lifestyle." - Lew Paz

"For the great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"Everything is energy and that's all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality. It can be no other way. This is not philosophy. This is physics." - Albert Einstein

"How long shall they kill our Prophets, while we stand beside and look?"
    - Bob Marley

"Government want to tell you things you can't say because they're against the law, or you can't say this because it's against a regulation, or here's something you can't say because its a...secret; "You can't tell him that because he's not cleared to know that." Government wants to control information and control language because that's the way you control thought, and basically that's the game they're in." ~ George Carlin.

Blog Entries
    Great quotes... I like the first one actually... especially Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Here are some more:

”If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.”
    Noam Chomsky

“Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

”Where the telescope ends the microscope begins. Which of the two has the grander view?”
    Victor Hugo, Les Misťrables (1862)

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."
    Pythagoras

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    Actually the full quote of Hugo deserves to be laid out as it is poetic truth:

Nothing is small, in fact; any one who is subject to the profound and penetrating influence of nature knows this. Although no absolute satisfaction is given to philosophy, either to circumscribe the cause or to limit the effect, the contemplator falls into those unfathomable ecstasies caused by these decompositions of force terminating in unity. Everything toils at everything.

Algebra is applied to the clouds; the radiation of the star profits the rose; no thinker would venture to affirm that the perfume of the hawthorn is useless to the constellations. Who, then, can calculate the course of a molecule? How do we know that the creation of worlds is not determined by the fall of grains of sand? Who knows the reciprocal ebb and flow of the infinitely great and the infinitely little, the reverberations of causes in the precipices of being, and the avalanches of creation?

The tiniest worm is of importance; the great is little, the little is great; everything is balanced in necessity; alarming vision for the mind. There are marvellous relations between beings and things; in that inexhaustible whole, from the sun to the grub, nothing despises the other; all have need of each other. The light does not bear away terrestrial perfumes into the azure depths, without knowing what it is doing; the night distributes stellar essences to the sleeping flowers. All birds that fly have round their leg the thread of the infinite.

Germination is complicated with the bursting forth of a meteor and with the peck of a swallow cracking its egg, and it places on one level the birth of an earthworm and the advent of Socrates. Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins. Which of the two possesses the larger field of vision?

Choose.

A bit of mould is a pleiad of flowers; a nebula is an anthill of stars. The same promiscuousness, and yet more unprecedented, exists between the things of the intelligence and the facts of substance. Elements and principles mingle, combine, wed, multiply with each other, to such a point that the material and the moral world are brought eventually to the same clearness. The phenomenon is perpetually returning upon itself. In the vast cosmic exchanges the universal life goes and comes in unknown quantities, rolling entirely in the invisible mystery of effluvia, employing everything, not losing a single dream, not a single slumber, sowing an animalcule here, crumbling to bits a planet there, oscillating and winding, making of light a force and of thought an element, disseminated and invisible, dissolving all, except that geometrical point, the I; bringing everything back to the soul-atom; expanding everything in God, entangling all activity, from summit to base, in the obscurity of a dizzy mechanism, attaching the flight of an insect to the movement of the earth, subordinating, who knows?

Were it only by the identity of the law, the evolution of the comet in the firmament to the whirling of the infusoria in the drop of water. A machine made of mind. Enormous gearing, the prime motor of which is the gnat, and whose final wheel is the zodiac.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post

"Proof Has Become Mankind's Obsession. It Is An Intellectual Attachment Which, Rather Than Expanding Your Horizons, Is Rapidly Becoming A Restriction"
    Who said this? Was it Jung?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    Who said this? Was it Jung?
    Apparently received via psychic communication from a tree (not unusual - A.), from the book 'Talking with Nature' by Michael J. Roads.

Blog Entries
    Political cunning ever sings the praise of the mass: the poor majority, the outraged, the abused, the giant majority, if only it would follow us. Who has not heard this litany before? Who does not know this never-varying refrain of all politicians? That the mass bleeds, that it is being robbed and exploited, I know as well as our vote-baiters. But I insist that not a handful of parasites, but the mass itself is responsible for this horrible state of affairs. It clings to its masters, loves the whip, and is the first to cry Crucify! the moment a protesting voice is raised against the sacredness of capitalistic authority or any other decayed institution. Yet how long would authority and private property exist, if not for the willingness of the mass to become soldiers, policemen, jailers, and hangmen..." Emma Goldman, 1917

Blog Entries
    Some of my favorite Yogi Berra quotes. He was a great baseball player.
    Now he's in his 80s but still making great quotes.
    It's like he's a little senile, a little zen and a little high.

"This is like deja vu all over again."

"You can observe a lot just by watching."

"Think! How the hell are you gonna think and hit at the same time?"

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

Once, Yogi's wife Carmen asked, "Yogi, you are from St. Louis, we live in New Jersey, and you played ball in New York. If you go before I do, where would you like me to have you buried?" Yogi replied, "Surprise me."

When asked for the time: "Do you mean now?"

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

In reply to "Hey Yogi, I think we're lost.": "Yeah, but we're making great time!"

"You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours."

"Half the lies they tell about me aren't true."

"If the world was perfect, it wouldn't be."

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

"The future ain't what it used to be."
    Last edited by solomon levi; 05-15-2012 at 03:08 AM.
    http://serpentrioarquila.blogspot.com/

"To conjure is nothing else than to observe anything rightly, to know and understand what it is." - Paracelsus

"Why, then, don't you act when you see the danger of your conditioning? The answer is you don't see... seeing is acting." J. Krishnamurti

Blog Entries
    More quotes on perception:

“And those who were seen dancing, were thought to be crazy, by those who could not hear the music.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
    ― Erwin SchrŲdinger

“Nonsense is that which does not fit into the prearranged patterns which we have superimposed on reality...Nonsense is nonsense only when we have not yet found that point of view from which it makes sense.”
    ― Gary Zukav

“look at everything as though you are seeing it either for the first or last time, then your time on earth will be filled with glory”
    ― Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

“Most of us go through each day looking for what we saw yesterday And, not surprisingly, that is what we find.”
    ― James A. Kitchens

“Small is the number of people who see with their eyes and think with their minds”
    ― Albert Einstein

“After all, is it not the way we humans shape the universe, shape time itself? Do we not take the raw stuff of chaos and impose a beginning, middle, and end on it, like the simplest and most profound of folktales, to reflect the shapes of our own tiny lives? And if the physicists are right, that the physical world changes as it is observed, and we are its only known observers, then might we not be bending the entire chaotic universe, the eternal, ever-active Now, to fit that familiar form?”
    ― Tad Williams, Sea of Silver Light

“The world' is man's experience as it appears to, and is moulded by, his ego. It is that less abundant life, which is lived according to the dictates of the insulated self. It is nature denatured by the distorting spectacles of our appetites and revulsions. It is the finite divorced from the Eternal. It is multiplicity in isolation from its non-dual Ground. It is time apprehended as one damned thing after another. It is a system of verbal categories taking the place of the fathomlessly beautiful and mysterious particulars which constitute reality. It is a notion labelled 'God'. It is the Universe equated with the words of our utilitarian vocabulary.”
    ― Aldous Huxley

“Internal mental experience is not the product of a photographic process. Internal reality is in fact constructed by the brain as it interacts with the environment in the present, in the context of its past experiences and expectancies of the future. At the level of perceptual categorizations, we have reached a land of mental representations quite distant from the layers of the world just inches away from their place inside the skull. This is the reason why each of us experiences a unique way of minding the world.”
    ― Daniel J. Siegel, The Developing Mind: How Relationships and the Brain Interact to Shape Who We Are

"Our understanding is limited by our presuppositions. Faulty presuppositions result in faulty interpretation of data and other handicaps. Experiments are designed to reinforce presuppositions not to challenge them. In other words, we do science to reinforce our ignorance, not to gain enlightenment. We don’t ask science to change us so we can penetrate the mystery of life, we ask it to give us something that will make us more comfortable in our delusion. ”
    ― Rodney Mansfield

“I am fond of reminding my yoga students of the saying “It takes one to know one” when they become lost in condemnation and judgment of others. The world that we perceive is a reflection of our own states of mind and reveals our own level of consciousness. The world is little more than a Rorschach blot in which we see our own desire systems projected. We see what we want to see.”
    ― Prem Prakash

“The first serious consciousness of Nature's gesture - her attitude towards life - took form then as a phantasm, a nightmare, all insanity of force. For the first time, the stage-scenery of the senses collapsed; the human mind felt itself stripped naked, vibrating in a void of shapeless energies, with resistless mass, colliding, crushing, wasting, and destroying what these same energies had created and labored from eternity to perfect.”
    ― Henry Adams

“Even if you have not awakened, if you realize that your perceptions and activities are all like dreams and you view them with detachment, not giving rise to grasping and rejecting discrimination, then this is virtually tantamount to awakening from the dream.”
    ― Muso Kokushi

"The memory is like twin orbiting stars, one visible, one dark, the trajectory of what's evident forever affected by the gravity of what's concealed.”
    ― Sue Grafton

“You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.”
    ― Herb Cohen
    http://serpentrioarquila.blogspot.com/

"To conjure is nothing else than to observe anything rightly, to know and understand what it is." - Paracelsus

"Why, then, don't you act when you see the danger of your conditioning? The answer is you don't see... seeing is acting." J. Krishnamurti

A couple of quotes that I like:

"I never came upon any of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking"

~Albert Einstein~
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

~Jimi Hendrix~
    Still Searching.............

Blog Entries
    What things soever ye desire,
    When ye pray, believe that ye receive them,
    And ye shall have them.

- Yashua ben Yoshef (Mark 11:24)

+ Reply to Thread