Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Closed Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Great Quote Collection

Blog Entries
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand.
    - Confucius
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Blog Entries
    "If the Light goes out here, it goes out everywhere."
    - Jakob's mother, LOST

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    If you want to hide a needle, you don't hide it in a stack of hay. You hide it in a stack of needles.
    "The Librarians", Season 4, Episode 5.
    Commentary: In addition to Induction and Deduction, there is also Retroduction ("Via Negativa"). One doesn't describe (or find) a thing by figuring out what/where it is, but by eliminating what/where it isn't. Finding a needle in a haystack is as easy as burning the hay. Now, finding a (specific) needle in a needle-stack is a different story altogether...

Now one may wonder... In alchemical writings, are the "real goodies" mostly hidden a "haystack" or in a "needle-stack"?

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    If you want to hide a needle, you don't hide it in a stack of hay. You hide it in a stack of needles.
    "The Librarians", Season 4, Episode 5.
    Commentary: In addition to Induction and Deduction, there is also Retroduction ("Via Negativa"). One doesn't describe (or find) a thing by figuring out what/where it is, but by eliminating what/where it isn't. Finding a needle in a haystack is as easy as burning the hay. Now, finding a (specific) needle in a needle-stack is a different story altogether...

Now one may wonder... In alchemical writings, are the "real goodies" mostly hidden a "haystack" or in a "needle-stack"?

Perhaps there is no haystack .... the "real goodies" may be right in front of us in broad "Day Light".

We just need to wear our Alchemic glasses.

“The cause is hidden. The effect is visible to all.”
    ― Ovid

"He meant by that verse the gold of the sages, which is their magnesia. But the people imagined it is the gold which is in their hands. Therefore they ruined it with different kinds of operations and they became tired and did not succeed." (Muhammed ibn Umail al-Tamimi, Kitab Hall ar-Rumuz)

Blog Entries
    “What the caterpillar calls the end, the rest of the world calls a butterfly.”

- Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by theFool View Post
    “What the caterpillar calls the end, the rest of the world calls a butterfly.”

- Lao Tzu
    That's Richard Bach, not Lao Tzu. It's noticeably not Lao Tzu's style of writing, and isn't in any of the texts attributed to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand. - Confucius
    And that's an extremely liberal translation of Xunzi, a Confucian, but not Confucius himself. More accurate translation would be "Not hearing is not as good as hearing, hearing is not as good as seeing, seeing is not as good as knowing, knowing is not as good as acting; true learning continues until it is put into action."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
    That's Richard Bach, not Lao Tzu. It's noticeably not Lao Tzu's style of writing, and isn't in any of the texts attributed to him.
    I didn't even know who Richard Bach is. Learned something today.

Closed Thread