Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Closed Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 226

Thread: Great Quote Collection

  1. #211
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bridger Mountains
    Posts
    2,118
    Blog Entries
    4
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand.
    - Confucius
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

  2. #212
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In-Between
    Posts
    5,798
    Blog Entries
    1
    "If the Light goes out here, it goes out everywhere."
    - Jakob's mother, LOST





  3. #213
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In-Between
    Posts
    5,798
    Blog Entries
    1

  4. #214
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In-Between
    Posts
    5,798
    Blog Entries
    1
    If you want to hide a needle, you don't hide it in a stack of hay. You hide it in a stack of needles.
    "The Librarians", Season 4, Episode 5.
    Commentary: In addition to Induction and Deduction, there is also Retroduction ("Via Negativa"). One doesn't describe (or find) a thing by figuring out what/where it is, but by eliminating what/where it isn't. Finding a needle in a haystack is as easy as burning the hay. Now, finding a (specific) needle in a needle-stack is a different story altogether...

    Now one may wonder... In alchemical writings, are the "real goodies" mostly hidden a "haystack" or in a "needle-stack"?


  5. #215
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    If you want to hide a needle, you don't hide it in a stack of hay. You hide it in a stack of needles.
    "The Librarians", Season 4, Episode 5.
    Commentary: In addition to Induction and Deduction, there is also Retroduction ("Via Negativa"). One doesn't describe (or find) a thing by figuring out what/where it is, but by eliminating what/where it isn't. Finding a needle in a haystack is as easy as burning the hay. Now, finding a (specific) needle in a needle-stack is a different story altogether...

    Now one may wonder... In alchemical writings, are the "real goodies" mostly hidden a "haystack" or in a "needle-stack"?

    Perhaps there is no haystack .... the "real goodies" may be right in front of us in broad "Day Light".

    We just need to wear our Alchemic glasses.



    “The cause is hidden. The effect is visible to all.”
    ― Ovid

  6. #216
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    10
    "He meant by that verse the gold of the sages, which is their magnesia. But the people imagined it is the gold which is in their hands. Therefore they ruined it with different kinds of operations and they became tired and did not succeed." (Muhammed ibn Umail al-Tamimi, Kitab Hall ar-Rumuz)

  7. #217
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,291
    Blog Entries
    3
    “What the caterpillar calls the end, the rest of the world calls a butterfly.”

    - Lao Tzu

  8. #218
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by theFool View Post
    “What the caterpillar calls the end, the rest of the world calls a butterfly.”

    - Lao Tzu
    That's Richard Bach, not Lao Tzu. It's noticeably not Lao Tzu's style of writing, and isn't in any of the texts attributed to him.

  9. #219
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand. - Confucius
    And that's an extremely liberal translation of Xunzi, a Confucian, but not Confucius himself. More accurate translation would be "Not hearing is not as good as hearing, hearing is not as good as seeing, seeing is not as good as knowing, knowing is not as good as acting; true learning continues until it is put into action."

  10. #220
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,291
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
    That's Richard Bach, not Lao Tzu. It's noticeably not Lao Tzu's style of writing, and isn't in any of the texts attributed to him.
    I didn't even know who Richard Bach is. Learned something today.

Closed Thread

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts