Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Hermes Trismegistus Old and True Natural Path - now available in English

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    91

    Hermes Trismegistus Old and True Natural Path - now available in English

    Months ago I read thru the well known transcript of the above book which is available for quite some time for download on the web. Many places in the text were hard to understand and when comparing it with the original (at the Bavarian state library) I found numerous transcription errors. I corrected those and the pdf of the corrected German file will be made available for download shortly.

    In the meantime I was doing a quick-and-dirty translation into English which later evolved into a quite precise albeit not very eloquent translation. An alchemist friend from the US came to help with editing and polishing and now the texts is very readable, has proficient explanations (as footnotes) of hard-to-comprehend parts and contains both English and German texts in one book for comparison.

    Its availabel from LULU:

    Des Hermes Trismegists wahrer alter Naturweg (Leipzig, 1782)
    Last edited by sam; 05-01-2012 at 10:55 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    91
    there seems to be a way to get some % off the price at LULU using this link, although, being German, I do not entirely understand how this works:


    http://www.retailmenot.com/view/lulu.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    91
    You can d/l the German part of the book which has been corrected and normalized with the original here:

    http://alchemie.m31.de/hermes-pdf.html

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    272
    I've just received word my copy of this is about to ship, so I can read/review it over the next month. Glad that an English copy of this is finally out there in the wild! Der Compass der Weisen is a great classical text, so I'm interested to see how this compares.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by vega33 View Post
    I've just received word my copy of this is about to ship, so I can read/review it over the next month. Glad that an English copy of this is finally out there in the wild! Der Compass der Weisen is a great classical text, so I'm interested to see how this compares.
    I received mine a few weeks ago. As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the best and most revealing texts that I have come across. You have to read it very carefully to catch the hints - which are actually quite open and bold. It has opened a whole new meaning of the initial preparation for me.The rest of the entire procedure is surprisingly explained very openly in very great detail.

    In short - it is far more than worth the purchase price. I'm not making a pitch for the translator - I don't even know him.

    A companion book of the very same caliber is Récréations Hermétiques (Hermetic Recreations and Scholies) which has never knowingly been published in English before. It says much of the same, and fills in some of the gaps not explained in Naturweg and the two should definitely be read together.

    An English translation, the first of its kind, will be published in the near future by someone I know. These two books together are a must-have, and will give insight into the method of Cyliani.

    Illen

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,009
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    A companion book of the very same caliber is Récréations Hermétiques (Hermetic Recreations and Scholies) which has never knowingly been published in English before. It says much of the same, and fills in some of the gaps not explained in Naturweg and the two should definitely be read together. An English translation, the first of its kind, will be published in the near future by someone I know. These two books together are a must-have, and will give insight into the method of Cyliani. Illen
    Thank you Gentlemen for posting this title! I appreciate it.

    I have a strong attraction to Cyliani. Happy to hear your comment.
    Introitus apertus ad occlusum Regis palatium / Labore et coeli favore / Nosce te ipsum

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    I received mine a few weeks ago. As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the best and most revealing texts that I have come across. You have to read it very carefully to catch the hints - which are actually quite open and bold. It has opened a whole new meaning of the initial preparation for me.The rest of the entire procedure is surprisingly explained very openly in very great detail.

    In short - it is far more than worth the purchase price. I'm not making a pitch for the translator - I don't even know him.

    A companion book of the very same caliber is Récréations Hermétiques (Hermetic Recreations and Scholies) which has never knowingly been published in English before. It says much of the same, and fills in some of the gaps not explained in Naturweg and the two should definitely be read together.

    An English translation, the first of its kind, will be published in the near future by someone I know. These two books together are a must-have, and will give insight into the method of Cyliani.

    Illen
    I'd tend to agree on the basis of what I've already read of the text since receiving it this morning... It is essentially speaking of salt as the first coagulations of the spirit, attracted as it is to water, as we know orgone is, which is what makes the statement of the translators of Fulcanelli that much more interesting about the smell of calcined sea salt. I've known the word since my experiments with Von Wellings experiment, it is interesting seeing it confirmed over and over again in the works of the masters, more so I.C.H, considering his place in the tradition, especially in the case of having been one of the true initiators of Westcott's, albeit post hummus

  8. #8
    I get my copy yesterday, i was surprised how fast was the shipment, since i live in Europe it surpass all my expectations.

    About the book it self, is very similar to Fulcanelli in my opinion, he have the same ideas and concepts, the translation is very good, but there are some Latin words that in my opinion could have a different meaning,

    For what i have read (only 40 pages) the Prima Materia could be two things, or is urine or something extracted from human body or dew. And like Fulcanelli it tells the importance of the 3 repetitions to raise the stone, and this not many alchemist consider important or consider at all. First we need to extract the Philosophical Mercury, then another repetition to extract the Sun and the Moon, then mix all together and we have our true Rebis.

    Nice job, i would like to have more books this kinds, many Latin manuscripts full of useful material, but their not available to everyone since this lingua mortis is not easy to decode.

    Draconisnova

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,009
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconisnova View Post
    Nice job, i would like to have more books this kinds, many Latin manuscripts full of useful material, but their not available to everyone since this lingua mortis is not easy to decode.
    I concur. The translator, Gunner Kossatz, has done an impressive job; I believe his consultation with 'fk-alchemie forum' probably didn't hurt either.

    I'm quite taken by the clear descriptions, in other words 'plain English'. It comes just at the right appropriate time for me in my work.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisztian View Post
    I concur. The translator, Gunner Kossatz, has done an impressive job; I believe his consultation with 'fk-alchemie forum' probably didn't hurt either.

    I'm quite taken by the clear descriptions, in other words 'plain English'. It comes just at the right appropriate time for me in my work.
    That you for the flowers - I have to add I am a total greenhorn with little over a year experience in alchemy. This text was hinted at by some of the "old hands" at the above mentioned forum and the translation was originally only meant as a help for an american friend with whom our small group of enthusiasts share infos on a regular basis. He should receive all praise for the final English form, into which he transcribed my rough original translation from German.

    And yes, the impressive Latin-to-English interpretations are entirely from the old-hands-group of fk-alchemy.

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts