Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Posting Images & Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    Hello zoas23 and forum,

I tried again to attach a picture, but had no luck as in the past. I was able to upload a file but could not "grab" it in order to drag it to the message area. What a convoluted and unintuitive way of adding a simple picture!!! Can anyone provide help on how to attach a picture? Thanks.
    Create an account in http://imageshack.us
    There you can upload a picture of your own and they will provide you a direct link that you can either post here as a link or insert into the message, it's actually very easy.
    Last edited by zoas23; 07-29-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    Create an account in http://imageshack.us
    There you can upload a picture of your own and they will provide you a direct link that you can either post here as a link or insert into the message, it's actually very easy.
    Thanks, zoas23,
    I didn't see this earlier. Is there not a more direct way of uploading pictures directly from Alchemy Forums that doesn't result in error messages? Maybe there's a size restriction,although the picture I was uploading was not very large (66 KB).

Thanks,
    Illen

Blog Entries
    Illen & Everyone,

Dev checked the attachment settings and I performed numerous tests, but for now it seems that the problem is deeper and possibly related to the vBulletin platform.

For now, I strongly encourage everyone to use external hosting sites for images (like imageshack or photobucket) to post their pictures.

It's easy, not at all cumbersome, you can make your albums 'private' (not viewable by the general public without direct links to the images themselves), and no size limits that I know of...

So please, everyone, use the image hosting sites and it will all be much easier!

(at least until we are able to get to the source of this annoying attachment problem)

Thanks!

Is it not the case that all ISP's also give the user a dedicated web space?

This is what I use to upload pictures...I upload them to my webspace and
    then insert a link from there to the forum.

Or, if you can find a pic on the net post a direct link to that...the drawback
    this has however is that if the net link changes so does your forum post.

Ghislain
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

It seems it's completely impossible to upload anything to here, even into my album, it presents me the same uploader it did in the post editor, which doesn't work. The only way to get anything into the local storage seems to be linking it from elsewhere and click the "reference locally" box.

And I don't want to independently host something I wanted to show only on this forum.
    Ezalor
    --- = --- = --- = --- = --- = --- = --- = ---
    "Sic itur ad astra per aspera."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezalor View Post
    And I don't want to independently host something I wanted to show only on this forum.
    You can host independently on one of the above mentioned hosting sites and make your album there PRIVATE. Nobody will be able to see the images unless they have the direct IMG link, so you can show images here by linking from there, and only what you want to show. Everything else will not be visible /accessible if you make your externally hosted album private.

That's the only way it can work for now, and that's what almost everyone here is using anyway...

Blog Entries

A Trick To Directly Upload Images/Attachments

Regarding the issue of directly uploading images, without using an external hosting site:

Like I said before, the above mentioned vBulletin issue unfortunately makes it quite impossible...

However!

I have found a tricky sneaky way around it, but it takes some sleight of hand...

It works only with Internet Explorer.

When posting a message, use Go Advanced mode.

Once in Go Advanced mode, quickly scroll a bit down to Manage Attachments and click on it while it's still in blue.

After a few seconds it will turn back to 'normal' Black on Gray, and then it's useless again.

If you manage to click Manage Attachments while it's still blue (first few seconds), a window will open that will allow you to upload attachments from anywhere you want (i.e. your computer and/or the web).

When you're done uploading this way, you can go back to use the 'regular' Manage Attachments window and your new attachment(s) will be there to use anywhere you like on the Forum.

Remember: It ONLY works with Microsoft Internet Explorer (I tested it on version 7 or 8, not quite sure)

I just tested this again and it worked, I just now uploaded this:

Re-Route.jpg

You're welcome to report back here if this little trick does (or doesn't) work for you with directly uploading attachments.

Thanks and good luck.
    Last edited by Andro; 02-06-2013 at 06:47 AM.

If only the posting of pictures could be resolved! I know there are backdoor ways of doing that using Internet Explorer or DropBox, but I never use Internet Explorer and decided not to install DropBox again after my computer was upgraded.

It's a shame as I'm sure we are missing some valuable pictures and illustrations as a result. I know I recently gave up.

Illen
    Last edited by Andro; 02-27-2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Thread Topic Management.

Blog Entries
    It is unfortunately beyond the reach of my abilities to fix the upload issue.

Just use photobucket.com. It's easy, looks better than hosting at the forum, AND you can make your album private (only those who have the direct links to the images can see them).

I am officially offering to guide you step by step with setting up a photobucket account, if you so wish.

It's extremely easy and intuitive - so, no excuses! LL
    Last edited by Andro; 02-27-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Thread Topic Management.

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    Just use photobucket.com. It's easy, looks better than hosting at the forum, AND you can make your album private (only those who have the direct links to the images can see them).

I am officially offering to guide you step by step with setting up a photobucket account, if you so wish.

It's extremely easy and intuitive - so, no excuses! LL
    Thanks Androgynus,

I did have photobucket until the Christmas holidays when I upgraded the operating system and lost my photobucket utility. I will have to reinstall it.
    Last edited by Andro; 02-27-2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: BB codes fixed.

+ Reply to Thread