Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Posting Images & Videos

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Posting Images & Videos

There are two main ways to post images on this Forum:

1. Upload images to the Forum as attachments, and insert them directly into your posts.

This can be done by using the Manage Attachments function, which can be accessed in the Go Advanced area while making a post,
    either by scrolling down to 'Manage Attachments' or by clicking the attachment button that looks like a paperclip (to the right of the smiley/emoticon button in the advanced editor).

2. Another way (which is more efficient IMO) is to host your images somewhere else and show them in your post(s) by linking to them.
    (For example, by using the Insert Image button in the text editor line).

The same goes for inserting a video, using the Insert Video button in the text editor line.

What the Insert function does, is simply taking the URL of where your Image (or Video) is hosted, and placing it between image brackets: [IMG]......[/IMG],
    OR video brackets, using VIDEO instead of IMG in the brackets. You can also do this manually by typing the corresponding brackets and paste/place the desired URL between them.

Important: When using the Insert function, make sure the http:// prefix does not appear twice, since the Insert function already provides this prefix in the pop-up dialog box.

Here are the two suggested ways to host an Image and show it in your post(s) by linking to its URL location (as explained above):

1. You can host an Image here on the Forum by creating one or more Albums on your personal profile page, or you can link to any Image that is already hosted somewhere else on the web.

To do this, you have to copy the Image URL from where it's hosted (like on your Forum Albums, or anywhere else on the web).
    This is accomplished by going to the image itself in your browser, right-clicking on it and choosing 'Copy Image Location'.

Then, you paste / place the image URL (the one you have just copied) between the [IMG] and [/IMG] brackets. Your Image will now appear in your post, in all its glory .

The same goes with inserting Videos (Copy Video URL and insert it between the corresponding VIDEO and /VIDEO brackets).
    __________________________________________________ ________

2. There's also the more efficient way of having your own Image Album/Gallery hosted OUTSIDE the Forum.

Two excellent image hosting sites are http://imageshack.us and http://photobucket.com. I personally use (and recommend) http://photobucket.com - very comfortable and user-friendly.

You can register on such a site and use it to upload all your pictures/images.

You can also make it hidden from the general public, so people can only see the images they have links for.

For every image you upload there, you get an image link to post on forums, and it usually already includes the [IMG].....[/IMG] brackets.

Don't forget to remove the s in https:// before you post so the video appears.

I found it to be the best way to show images here.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    That's it, basically. Please do not hesitate to post any further questions you may have on this topic.

It is highly recommended to use the External Hosting option described above and below.
    Last edited by Awani; 12-13-2016 at 01:23 AM. Reason: add https bit

Blog Entries
    Nice. We needed this.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    Hi Illen,

All (or most) of the options are covered here: Posting Images & Videos.

If you don't want to host your image on a website, you can simply upload it here as an attachment. The technical details are covered in the link above.
    Hi Androgynus,

Thank you for this link. No wonder I wasn't able to find it readily. I'll give it a try.

Illen

Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    Hi Androgynus,

Thank you for this link. No wonder I wasn't able to find it readily. I'll give it a try.

Illen
    Well I guess it wasn't meant to be. I tried several times, and each time the uploaded JPG picture was marked with an error icon. I kept reducing the size of the image down to 33 KB, but it was still marked with an error icon.

Illen

Blog Entries
    Well I guess it wasn't meant to be. I tried several times, and each time the uploaded JPG picture was marked with an error icon. I kept reducing the size of the image down to 33 KB, but it was still marked with an error icon.

Illen
    Yes, I just checked, direct attachments don't work for me either. Never had a problem before.

I promise we will look into this issue - thanks for pointing it out.

For now, my best advice it to host your image(s) on a website and link from there as explained above.

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    Yes, I just checked, direct attachments don't work for me either. Never had a problem before.

I promise we will look into this issue - thanks for pointing it out.

For now, my best advice it to host your image(s) on a website and link from there as explained above.
    Thanks for offering to look into this. I'll wait until it's resolved since I don't have much love for the very open public sites such as Facebook, Photobucket (is that what it's called), and al the other such sites.

Is there not some way that the address of the computer can be used where the http: link is?

Illen

Blog Entries
    Is there not some way that the address of the computer can be used where the http: link is?
    I'm not sure about this, and even if it's possible it has to be in a certain format with your computer address included, and even then the image will not be available when you are not connected to the Internet.

I don't have much love for the very open public sites such as Facebook, Photobucket (is that what it's called), and all the other such sites.
    No matter how you choose to upload your stuff, there isn't really any complete privacy on the Internet.

(Same with cellphones, credit cards, everything that runs through the net at some point or another...)

Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    I am also a bit confused about the details of your method. Do you mind taking a picture?
    Hello zoas23 and forum,

I tried again to attach a picture, but had no luck as in the past. The process is not intuitive, overly involved, and never seems to work.
    Attaching a picture from the Internet does not seem too difficult, but attaching a picture from one's own hard drive seems to constantly result in "403 IO Error" messages.
    Is there a simple way of attaching pictures that does not result in these annoying error messages? The file seemed to upload OK, but it always comes with this error message.

I was able to upload a file but could not "grab" it in order to drag it to the message area. What a convoluted and unintuitive way of adding a simple picture!!!

Can anyone provide help on how to attach a picture?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Illen
    Last edited by Andro; 07-30-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Techical issues from another thread were moved & merged with this post.

Hello zoas23 and forum,

I tried again to attach a picture, but had no luck as in the past. I was able to upload a file but could not "grab" it in order to drag it to the message area. What a convoluted and unintuitive way of adding a simple picture!!! Can anyone provide help on how to attach a picture? Thanks.
    Create an account in http://imageshack.us
    There you can upload a picture of your own and they will provide you a direct link that you can either post here as a link or insert into the message, it's actually very easy.
    Last edited by zoas23; 07-29-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    Create an account in http://imageshack.us
    There you can upload a picture of your own and they will provide you a direct link that you can either post here as a link or insert into the message, it's actually very easy.
    Thanks, zoas23,
    I didn't see this earlier. Is there not a more direct way of uploading pictures directly from Alchemy Forums that doesn't result in error messages? Maybe there's a size restriction,although the picture I was uploading was not very large (66 KB).

Thanks,
    Illen

+ Reply to Thread