Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please Cite Your Sources!

Blog Entries

Exclamation Please Cite Your Sources!

Following a very good point made HERE by teofrast40, I would like to remind everyone here the importance of citing the source of materials that you are quoting within your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by teofrast40 View Post
    Hope not to sound annoying, but I think that it would be a good habit (quite lacking in this forum), when citing a text, to give also it's references.
    This would avoid ambiguities and ego plays (not pointing at anyone individually, I am saying this after four years of frequentation of this place, that I love).
    Not only is it important to give credit where credit is due, but also to allow (for those who are interested) to expand their research, and also to avoid confusion and misunderstandings about who said what...

This is also clearly mentioned in the General Rules & Guidelines Announcement:

* Cite your sources when copying and pasting information into your post.

Not only when quoting external references, but also when quoting other Forum Members within your posts - please make sure the origin of your quotes is made as clear as possible.

Thank you

Blog Entries
    Yes. This is a good practice.
    I generally come from a place of wanting to share information which is
    either applicable or not, regardless of source. But I can see why including sources
    is also a good idea, for other perspectives, esp research.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    http://serpentrioarquila.blogspot.com/

"To conjure is nothing else than to observe anything rightly, to know and understand what it is." - Paracelsus

"Why, then, don't you act when you see the danger of your conditioning? The answer is you don't see... seeing is acting." J. Krishnamurti

Oh, yes...!!!

I really don't care about the ego plays... but I am a "source nazi" (LOL... I am saying it in the same sense that "grammar nazi" is used... I am certainly not a nazi).

If you don't simply write the name of the author, but also the name of the book, then I'll smile.
    If you also include the chapter of the book or the cannonical page if that applies to your source (i.e, Plato, Symposium 208c)... then I won't just smile, but I will also hug you.

Blog Entries
    I pointed this out for the simple reason of making communication easier. Sometimes, it's difficult enough as it is

I certainly don't mean to become obsessive about it. IMO, it just makes it easier to know who said what (and maybe where/in what context), especially when quoting each other on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by vega33 View Post
    @teofrast: TBH, this is not a scholarly journal, and we do not need footnotes in our posts. I think think its clarifies the subject any to say "Compass of the Wise, on page 130 of the translation, by Leone Muller, quoting Lully's Testamentum's in Manget's Biblioteca Chemica Curiosa" (Latini snipped for brevity). If anything, it muddies the situation by excessive verbiage. Just to says "Lully's Testamentum tells us this" lets someone know where they need to go if they want to find the source, if they need more info about the particular translation they ask a question like guthrie very charitably did, for crying out loud. Some people would prefer the ambiguities to having too much information shoved in your face at once.
    I agree with Vega33 on his position of not having to turn it into a pool of librarian footnotes (Unless, of course, one wishes to do so).

In the above case, just mentioning that the source is 'Lully's Testamentum' is perfectly satisfying IMO.

Like Vega33 pointed out, if someone wishes to receive more details for further research, they can always ask, as long as there is a simple mentioning of the source.

Sorry if it seemed pointed at you, vega33, as it was not. It just came out there, because I don't write here that much, and seen that I had taken the word I added that comment based on the past.
    Me too thinks that your level of specification was perfectly acceptable.

Cheers
    T

Blog Entries
    The most important thing is to provide a link or source when pasting a text.

If you are not the author then show who is. I think this is the best guideline to follow. Anything else is plagiarism.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

+ Reply to Thread