Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Off Topic?

Oh... for some reason the quote button isn't working for me right now, but it always does.

Anyway... yes, this forum has very relaxed rules... and that's great. It is enjoyable. I like it here.
    I mostly meant to say: "please, don't find the solution to a problem that doesn't exist!"

Blog Entries
    The fine line of staying on-topic...

Since we've had some recent 'on/off topic' related misunderstandings, I would like to reiterate a few things:

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    It can be a fine line to discern between a thread that's moving towards exploring the original topic from different (even remote/wide) angles, and a thread that's completely wandering away from its foundations.

If the OP doesn't seem to mind or care about this fine line, I think it's part of the responsibility you/we agreed to accept, to make that distinction,
    with the focus on maintaining coherence and ease of orientation for other forum members

There are roughly two main 'off topic' types that I can discern:

1. Context-Coherent 'off-topics' (possibly expanding the scope of the discussed topic, but still coherent within the primal context, even if presenting different angles to look at it).

2. Non-Context-Coherent 'off-topics' (filling the thread with stuff that is largely unrelated, and/or related to another topic/agenda altogether - a.k.a. 'Thread Hijacking').

If the second type appears to be the case, I think it's preferable to create a spin-off thread and move the 'wandering' posts over there, and when/if I personally split posts, I do it with with the readers in mind, especially the newer readers/forum members who are performing searches, looking for stuff that is most relevant to their particular interests. An exception to this second type would be if you manage to establish a clear and coherent connection between the seemingly unrelated material you are adding and the original topic of the discussion.

So, sometimes I feel it's needed to make a call, although it's much better IMO if the OP's (and in fact everyone who posts here) can take this responsibility upon themselves.
    In addition to the above, there are those cases when people start a new thread/topic and they specifically ask to observe/maintain some basic guidelines for what they do and don't wish to be discussed in the topic they started.

If this is the case, please respect the wishes of the OP, bypassing the above categorizations, even if you think/believe/assume/are certain that what you've added to the respective thread is the very 'mostest supremest' definition of 'on-topic' .

Quote Originally Posted by solomon levi View Post
    I've had this understanding, even before this forum, that whoever starts a thread
    is the one who knows the topic, the intention.
    Others may come along and give their own interpretation, but ...
    It's like whoever starts a thread - that's their house.
    You don't come into another's house and tell them how to keep it.
    So, sometimes, it may be a better idea to be wise & allowing than to be 'right'.

Just something to consider...

Thanks.
    Last edited by Andro; 11-29-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Androgynus ...

Curious ...

Are you referring to me not staying on topic?

And an FYI about my posts/thoughts/statements:

I don't consider myself an "authority" about anything. I joined this forum to learn, express myself and explore, but also to be challenged. It may appear through my writings that I want to think of myself as "the smartest guy in the room," but that's not the case.

In my writings, I've implied in several ways that, "I'm not like you," particularly when it comes to Western/European thinking, but that's not really the case either. I'm struggling to keep from being sucked into false paradigms (or paradoxes), too.

If my affirmative and self-confident statements are being mistaken for the arrogance that I think I know everything, it wouldn't be the first time. Underlying all of my posts/statements/thoughts will always be the implied statement: If you don't agree, please tell me why.

I'm never hurt, insulted or defensive over opposing views or criticism ... I relish it. Please note: Unlike many people who insist on being right and are hurt when opposed, I relish being proven wrong.

How else can I learn?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSweet View Post
    Androgynus ...
    Curious ...
    Are you referring to me not staying on topic?
    Among a few others.

And an FYI about my posts/thoughts/statements:
    I don't consider myself an "authority" about anything. I joined this forum to learn, express myself and explore, but also to be challenged. It may appear through my writings that I want to think of myself as "the smartest guy in the room," but that's not the case.In my writings, I've implied in several ways that, "I'm not like you," particularly when it comes to Western/European thinking, but that's not really the case either. I'm struggling to keep from being sucked into false paradigms (or paradoxes), too.
    If my affirmative and self-confident statements are being mistaken for the arrogance that I think I know everything, it wouldn't be the first time. Underlying all of my posts/statements/thoughts will always be the implied statement: If you don't agree, please tell me why.
    I'm never hurt, insulted or defensive over opposing views or criticism ... I relish it. Please note: Unlike many people who insist on being right and are hurt when opposed, I relish being proven wrong.
    The above is yet another example of derailing a thread topic ('Paradox Power', in this case), bordering on thread hijacking and disregard for the stated subject of this thread and most of the posts in it.

Quote Originally Posted by solomon levi View Post
    Sometimes people want to talk about what they know regardless if it is the topic/communication.

To me, this is hijacking a thread.

Said another way - the "me" attitude is what leads to the kind of people that get banned.
    In a way, not listening and communicating, but rather taking the opportunity to talk
    about yourself/your knowledge, regardless if it is the topic, is that "me" behavior.

What is evident to me - the person who starts a thread sets the tone and topic.
    If people aren't interested in communicating with the thread starter about the thread topic,
    why not start your own topic/thread? To me this is just disrespectful. "What I have to say
    is more important that you/what you said." Or sometimes it's lazy - someone didn't read the
    whole thread. We've seen problems happen because of that before.
    Of course we deal with problems as they arise. I'm just saying some awareness on everyone's
    part would be helpful.
    This is not a chat-room. The threads are topic-specific to keep a coherent flow AND to allow OTHER readers to easier search for their own areas/topics and interest.

Everyone is entitled to their views/perspectives. Just post them under the appropriate threads/topics. If such threads do not (yet) exist, create new ones.

So as to no longer derail the Paradox Power thread (and potentially future others), I've moved those last two posts here, to the Off Topic Thread.
    Last edited by Andro; 04-16-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Androgynus ...

Really?

You really think so?

Interesting.

I start my post quoting from the video that started the topic, and discuss an important key statement made by the presenter, yet I'm not on topic?

Really?

Are you really sure about this?

The very first post of the thread utilizes a video that takes several minutes wherein the presenter discusses a false paradox -- a paradox that isn't a paradox at all -- and I support those statements with observations of my own ...

... yet I'm off topic and require admonishment and discipline?

Did you actually watch the video?

Did you understand what Mr. Franklin was saying?

Over nearly twenty minutes he went into great detail to explain that most people live a false paradox ... that they live to the expectations of others, when in fact they should be living up to their own expectations of themselves.

Is this not a key aspect of the topic itself?

Is the topic exclusively about "paradox"? and the definition of the word itself? ... which seems to be how the majority of people are responding.

Then why use a video that clearly, unmistakably discusses a false paradox?

Doesn't your choice of that video illustrate that often our perception of a supposed paradox is false? That it isn't a paradox at all?

I'm beginning to think you neither understood my response (in any fashion whatsoever) nor was your, "Please share what you think ..." statement in any way sincere. I did, and you simply deleted it.

I'm beginning to think you don't want to hear anything that you don't want to hear ... right, wrong or indifferent ...

... particularly since you've deleted my response entirely. That makes it fairly clear who wants to be perceived as "the smartest guy in the room."

It appears this forum is more of a dictatorship than I'd imagined.

Blog Entries
    Don't take everything so seriously. We're just trying to keep things on-topic... if it's off-topic we usually split into a new thread... and if you want to post something that might be off-topic create a new thread. Simple as that.

As far as dictatorship is concerned Alchemy Forums is 100 % a dictatorship, and I am the dictator... although I see myself as a very benevolent one. A dictator that is trying to create a space where respectful discussions can take place about alchemy, that is all.

Andro has not deleted anything, he has moved it... deleted posts are only posts that are grounds for banning, spam or double-posts.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    ... particularly since you've deleted my response entirely.
    "nor was your, "Please share what you think ..." statement in any way sincere. I did, and you simply deleted it.
    The only thing you posted that was ever deleted, was a personal attack towards another Member.

So please chill and maybe re-read the forum's Rules & Guidelines, as well as what Dev wrote above.

Blog Entries

Mod Post

Guys,

This is a topic-based forum with topic-based threads.

It is very different from other platforms, such as chat-rooms, YouTube comments, facebook, etc...

Please read/sense what a thread is actually about, before replying.

Expanding on a topic from different angles is not the same as inserting a topic-related reference and then taking it somewhere else altogether.

So please stay on topic, gentlemen.

Largely off-topic content will be moved/relocated.

If the pattern persists, such content will be simply deleted without notice.

We simply can't spend all day managing topic continuity.

Please do not reply to this post.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Andro; 12-13-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Note to readers and mods ...

Happy to have my posts adjusted to conform to forum rules.

Anyone who reads me knows I can go off on a tangent. It's not intentional. I just find myself in a stream-of-consciousness now and then, as I'm sure many of you understand.

No offense meant.

Blog Entries
    Happy to have my posts adjusted to conform to forum rules.
    Then you're missing the entire point...

We're not 'The Adjustment Bureau'

The point is to stay on topic in the first place.

We don't have the time/resources (and the will, for that matter) to move content around so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    We simply can't spend all day managing topic continuity.
    This Forum is not a public service, all admin/mod work is done on a voluntary basis, and we can't be asked to periodically move content around if there can't be a little more Attention/Intention to what is posted and where.

So again, if this persists, such content will simply be deleted permanently and we will have to part ways. I really, genuinely hope it doesn't come to this.

Anyone who reads me knows I can go off on a tangent. It's not intentional.
    Why not make it intentional, then?

Let one of the New Year's Resolutions be to intentionally stay on topic

"Your Attention is where your Intention is"

So just a bit more attention... Not a lot to ask, IMO...

And please, let's stop 'debating' this, because it is not even a 'debate'.

It's purely administrative.

No offense meant.
    None taken.

------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Andro; 12-13-2014 at 07:25 AM.

+ Reply to Thread