Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What Makes Us Happy and Why?

What Makes Us Happy and Why?

This is a spin off from the thread Illusion of choice

Are you "Happy?"

I would like to question why we have emotional feelings when logic may be a better survival tool.

I would like to see people deeply question the reasons for their feelings, where they come from, what
    purpose do they serve, how controlled are we by them and could we function without them.

Ghislain
    Last edited by Ghislain; 08-06-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

Blog Entries
    Quoth John Lennon:

Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Interpret away

Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    by
    The Beatles

She's not a girl who
    misses much
    Do-do-do-do-do, oh yeah

She's well acquainted
    With the touch of a velvet hand
    Like a lizard on a window pane

Man in the crowd
    With the multicoloured mirrors
    On his hobnail boots

Lying with his eyes
    While his hands are busy
    Working overtime

The sole confession of his wife
    Which he ate and donated
    to the National Trust

I need a fix cause I'm going down
    Down to the abyss that I've left up town
    I need a fix cause I'm going down

Mother Superior jump the guns

Happiness is a warm gun
    ( bang bang shoot shoot )
    Happiness is a warm gun, yes it is
    (bang bang shoot shoot)

When I hold you in my arms (oh yes)
    When I feel my finger on your trigger (oh yes)
    I know nobody can do me no harm
    Because
    happiness is a warm gun, momma
    Happiness is a warm gun
    -Yes it is.
    Happiness is a warm, yes it is...
    Gun!
    Well don't ya know that happiness is a warm gun, momma? (yeah)
    Song Facts

Lennon said of this song: "It's sort of a history of Rock 'n' Roll." Much of the imagery in the lyrics was about his sexual passion for Yoko.
    And there was me thinking it was all about masturbation.

Ghislain
    Open Book

Blog Entries
    One thing I am very unlikely to ever do is to research/find out what the writer/composer had in mind when he/she penned a line that 'did it' for me.

Maybe you/we could try to read such lines (like 'Happiness is a warm gun') more like we read alchemical texts and allegories.

There can be many interpretations, just as there can be different 'matters' to work with.

If it's masturbation for you, then this is what it is for you

But a 'warm gun' could mean so many different applications of this metaphor...

Maybe the question should be 'What makes ME happy' (rather than 'US')...
    __________________________________________________ ________

Much of the imagery in the lyrics was about his sexual passion for Yoko.
    Lennon went both ways

Blog Entries
    I think 'happiness' is the soul's laughter of the fact that the incarnate personality found it's contracted experience. So the closer we are to our happiness, the more closer we are to the soul memory, the contract we came here to fulfill. A happy life is driven internally.

That's not very poetic, I know. My excuse is, I'm not Lennon.

Androgynus, as I said in post 1 of this thread it is a spin off from Illusion of choice

And I posted what makes me happy in that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post
    Years ago I used to partake of an E or two...the feeling could easily have been described as ecstasy.
    The reason I stopped taking them was because, as nice as the feeling of euphoria was, it wasn’t real
    it had something missing, but the thing it showed me was that our minds can easily be induced with
    feelings and emotions that are not real.

Taking this a step further I realised these "natural" feelings are not real they are brought about by chemical
    release of particular glands...

Ask yourself, why do I have to be happy or sad, angry or calm? We know the effects of being in
    these states, but what purpose does it serve? Do I need the reward of happiness and what benefit could
    there possibly be of feeling down? Apart from writing the Blues.

Don’t get me wrong I have more than my fare share of "happiness"...I get it from my family, my work,
    my hobbies etc... but that doesn’t stop me from asking why.

Look at people with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) why them and not me? Chemical imbalance
    perhaps? Some part of the machine not working properly?

I would say the majority of people drift through life on some sort of even keel, but when asked to
    look deeper and check to see if they are really happy they probably say no...The reason possibly
    being they are not supposed to think of the sense in it they are just supposed to go along with it. Doesn't
    that seem like some sort of mindless automaton?

Perhaps that is where the choice is...you don’t have to just accept it you can ask why.

I shall start a new thread called "What Makes Us Happy and Why?"

Ghislain
    On the subject of your post you did say "interpret away"

I love the Beatles and in that paticular song I like the way it changes, but to associate it with my happiness
    was a bit of a stretch so I thought I would see what the author meant.

Perhaps you could give us an explanation of why you thought it fitted this thread?

Maybe the question should be 'What makes ME happy' (rather than 'US')...
    Do you not think it would be a little pointless to ask in a forum what makes ME happy?

The point of this thread is to ask others if they know why things make them happy. I do apologise
    if that wasn't clear.

Ghislain

Edit:
    One thing I am very unlikely to ever do is to research/find out what the writer/composer had in mind when he/she penned a line that 'did it' for me.
    Thats the first one should do so that one can enjoy the piece in the way the author intended.
    Last edited by Ghislain; 08-07-2012 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Addition, second edit because I sort of lied I should do what I said but I don't
    Open Book

Krisztian

I think 'happiness' is the soul's laughter

I like that.

And finding the contract is my main aim

Ghislain
    Open Book

Blog Entries
    Dear G,

Sometimes I find it preferable to listen to poets/artists/composers when it comes to such matters... Without trying to figure out what THEY meant, but what it means to ME.

(And leave the contracts to the lawyers...)

Like Jodie Foster's character says in the movie Contact: 'No words... to describe... it's poetry... they should have sent a poet...'

Alternatively, one could do an Internet research on scientists who have studied the 'make happy' chemicals in the brain

Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post
    The point of this thread is to ask others if they know why things make them happy. I do apologize if that wasn't clear.
    Then I apologize back

I should have been clearer as well: 'What makes YOU happy' (instead of 'What makes US happy'). However, it's ultimately a matter of psycho-semantics

I personally don't think there's a common 'formula' unless we deconstruct the very notion of 'happy' and its dualistic opposites, and upgrade the issue to an entirely different state of being, which I would call 'ecstasy' (not the drug), which contains many-in-one (happy, sad, etc...).
    __________________________________________________ ______

About the 'warm gun' and its connection to happiness... It's very 'clear' to me on a philosophical/emotional level, so I saw fit to insert it here.

To describe (in such words!) something so (IMO) indescribable as 'happiness', is pure genius from where I'm looking.

Altogether, I'm merely attempting to 'instigate' a different approach to this topic.

Just so we don't ruin the experience, I don't think we have to mentally anal-eyes 'happiness'.

That's what the warm gun is for

(Just kidding... Sort of...)

Alternatively, there's this:

Last edited by Andro; 08-07-2012 at 03:19 AM.

Logic is actually not the best survival tool. If you see a rock, does it pay more to ascertain whether in fact the rock is actually there, or simply to step over it?

Bel Matina

I was at a garden party the other day and I don't usually drink thus I became a little worse for wear after just a few.
    When it was time to depart I was saying my goodbyes as I walked through the garden gate I believed there to be a step
    and so I lifted my leg to step up this imaginary step to the amusement of the onlookers, as there was no step. If this played
    out the other way around and there was a step that I didn't believe was there I'm sure they would have found that much
    more amusing.

Drunken Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Bel Matina View Post
    Logic is actually not the best survival tool. If you see a rock, does it pay more to ascertain whether in fact the rock is
    actually there, or simply to step over it?
    If I were in a hurry then Logic says step over it, but if time was of no consequence then perhaps it may be better, not just
    to acertain if the rock is actually there, but also to acertain if there is any "There" at all.

I thank you for your input on logic, but the main question is, do we need emotion?

Ghislain
    Last edited by Ghislain; 08-07-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    Open Book

+ Reply to Thread