Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 107

Thread: What Makes Us Happy and Why?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,009
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibiru View Post
    I was going to say contentment, which is pretty synonymous with peace of mind.
    That's an excellent term Nibiru, contentment is. Peace of mind, also fits perfectly to describe what I meant. I used state of balance because not one emotion rules over another. It's at a state of rest, inside the person that is. The personality has taken a backseat.

    With right commitment, one can reach that state.

    It's not a lofty endeavour.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,646
    z0 K

    In the link you posted it defines Bliss as perfect happiness; serene joy. So it has
    two of the three entries on the Joy petal of Plutchik’s wheel of emotions.

    On the subject of ‘Happy Jack’, I have met a few people that have been diagnosed as mentally
    challenged who seem to be consistently happy...does this prove that ignorance is bliss?

    Is it knowledge that is the barrier to happiness?

    Krisztian

    When you say...

    With right commitment, one can reach that state.
    Is that a state of no emotion or all emotion just balanced?

    I think z0 k’s link to Anandamide is further proof that emotions are chemically linked.
    People rant on about substance abuse while making every endeavour to achieve happiness.
    Is this not just the same thing...searching for the next fix?

    Are we any closer to realising the purpose of emotions or is this going to prove to be as
    difficult as understanding why we are here? Are we being used, kept in a drug induced
    state for some ulterior motive? Is that a bit paranoid? lol

    Who can say that finding happiness in the ‘normal’ accepted way is any better than finding it in an
    Entheogen. Wikipedia defines the use of Entheogens as ‘generating the divine within’.

    If someone offers you happiness...Just Say No!

    Ghislain
    Last edited by Ghislain; 08-09-2012 at 12:09 AM.
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    5,062
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post
    does this prove that ignorance is bliss?
    Is it knowledge that is the barrier to happiness?
    I was once told about this Hebrew saying by a jewish rabbi whom I spoke with:

    תכלית הידיעה: שלא נדע

    Hope I spelled/formulated it right... Look it up

    And here's another saying, one of my own this time, one I've just come up with:

    If you're happy and you know it, then you're not (happy).


  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,009
    Blog Entries
    7
    Well, happiness doesn't find a person by accident. It's something we create; it's a byproduct of living a balanced existence. Our thoughts determine the quality of our lives.

    That's why everyone has a chance at being happy.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    5,062
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisztian View Post
    That's why everyone has a chance at being happy.
    Everyone has a chance at winning the lottery, as well... 'Chance' is irrelevant to me. The concept of 'chance' is (to me) merely a matter psycho-statistics.

    Only what actually happens is in fact what actually happens

    I prefer to deal with what IS (brought into manifestation by the INEVITABILITY of NEED, rather than with what I may or may not have a 'chance' at).

    Quote Originally Posted by Krisztian View Post
    Our thoughts determine the quality of our lives.
    This is only half the formula

    What determines our thoughts? (NOT rhetorical )

    It may sound paradoxical to some, but for me, surrendering to Inevitability and Choicelessness is actually the greatest key to Freedom.

    Anything else, is an attempt to control what we only have the illusion that we can actually control

    IMO ()
    Last edited by Andro; 08-09-2012 at 04:11 PM.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post
    z0 K

    In the link you posted it defines Bliss as perfect happiness; serene joy. So it has
    two of the three entries on the Joy petal of Plutchik’s wheel of emotions.

    On the subject of ‘Happy Jack’, I have met a few people that have been diagnosed as mentally
    challenged who seem to be consistently happy...does this prove that ignorance is bliss?

    Is it knowledge that is the barrier to happiness?



    Ghislain

    OK on Plutchik Wheel of Emotions if you want to say bliss is serene joy since joy is the center of one of the petals in the wheel of emotions. However, I believe bliss is more than serene joy. Bliss contains an element of pure satisfaction.

    When considering if ignorance is bliss we should explore what is meant by ignorance.

    To me “ignorance” is to ignore information either deliberately or unintentionally as with a lack of knowledge or unawareness. So ignorance is bliss in that one can choose to ignore input that does not follow your bliss.

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ignorance

    Consider the synonym, "innocence." The definition for innocence is “freedom from guilt or sin through being unacquainted with evil: Blamelessness:" without censure.

    I don’t think knowledge is a barrier to happiness any more than ignorance would be. It’s all about following your bliss. First you have to find it. It’s the undertaking of individuals.

    z0 K

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,646
    Saying “ignorance is bliss” is similar to saying “What you don't know cannot hurt you.”(in the emotional
    sense I guess)

    I think I posted this somewhere else, but it is from a poem...

    “On a Distant Prospect of Eton College,” by Thomas Gray

    “Where ignorance is bliss, ‘Tis folly to be wise.’”

    The reason I like it so much is that it seems to fit because the more one learns only makes one aware of
    how little is actually known. Even the things we take as factual are more than likely theories that fit for
    now.

    When I chose to question ‘happiness’, deep down I had my reservations as I like to think there are some
    things one shouldn’t question, but if one really wants the truth then nothing should be exempt from scrutiny.

    In the book,” The Cloud Atlas” by David Mitchell, in the chapter titled, “An Orison of Sonmi 451”, the character
    Sonmi is a genetically-engineered clone used to serve at a fast food outlet...totally subservient to the general public
    due to the drugs that are administered to them; “Soap” that repressed the expression of personality and "Amnesiads"
    designed to deaden curiosity.

    Sonmi’s story begins when she answers back to a customer...someone has not been giving Sonmi her
    drugs...she was thinking...

    The clones were told that when their time came they would be taken by boat to a beautiful Eden...Can’t
    remember the name of it now...but it was all they looked forward too.

    The fact was the clones were taken to a ship that was a factory where they were slaughtered and processed
    into nutrients that were fed back to working clones...and they fell for it...?

    I like te saying "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"

    Many people live in a self imposed world of acceptance and seem to find happiness as it is easier to accept than
    to challenge

    What is happiness, and why do we strive to achieve it?

    Ghislain
    Last edited by Ghislain; 08-11-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    15
    Happiness can be simply defined as a state of well-being characterized by emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy. Thats the definition but after reading this thread I smiled at the video and song lyrics.
    Essentially, this forum makes me happy. But I would like to point out that happiness can also be misunderstood. For instance there are over 600 emotions that can be named in the English language so a person may feel a wide array of emotions yet people will categorize it under anger because they do not have the understanding. Happiness is simple but can become so complex when ones intentions are set on disguising their other emotions under happy. Same with all the rest, When I say the word God I have a mechanics imprinted in my brain, a set of controls that allow you to control time and navigate through space, but when someone says they feel despair they may be feeling depressed, greif, distraught, sad, disappointed, hurt all together.




    I find it humorous how humans were designed to get addicted to particular emotions that they enjoy and hate emotions that make them feel bad but only when they loose the source of what made them feel bad do they realize they miss it, not necessarily want it back but will do almost anything to reproduce old emotions and cling to them.
    Some wizards were masters of emotion, especially inducing certain emotions into the receiver using words or scenarios and or a quest lol. Eh idk.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,646
    Purplexity

    If we look at emotions as colours then as in the Newton Disc we could mix all emotion to form one.

    Mixing all colour frequency creates white, any imbalance of the colours would grey it and thus following
    on from this logic and your wheel above I believe it is the thinking monkey mind that separates the emotions
    and by quieting the monkey all emotion would become one; white; a return to the light.

    Balance is the key and perfection doesn't allow for seperate emotions.

    So one could say seek balance not happiness.

    Maybe



    Ghislain
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In the moment...
    Posts
    7,845
    Blog Entries
    2
    Regarding the mention of contentment I strongly disagree. Contentment is the root of all apathy. To be satisfied with the status quo is problem number one. For me it does not represent peace of mind at all unless you want to live inside the bliss of ignorance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post
    That's the first one should do so that one can enjoy the piece in the way the author intended.
    I think most artist don't know themselves or they don't want others to know. Art is in the eye of the beholder, always.

    Last edited by Awani; 09-26-2012 at 05:58 PM.
    Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts