Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mercurius as a three headed dragon

Blog Entries

Mercurius as a three headed dragon

Python, Mercurius, Hermes - Mercurius as a three headed dragon... click on image for source.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    Mercurius as a three headed dragon...
    Actually four-headed, if we also count the frontal black head/face with the beard...

"The One that is Three"
    and vise-verse...

Quoting from a poem of mine:

None is One and One is None,
    Two is Three, and Tree is One
    One and Two and Three and Four
    Equal One, n'Evermore.
    The upper three heads appear to be Moon, Sun and Mercury.

The python looks like an distilling apparatus,
    it has drawn something inside mercury I cant tell what
    gold and silver and the wings of love and wings of strength :P

My initial impression:
    The Seed of Iron, the Egg of Copper, in a special, "fishy" womb, heated with fire, to circulate and/or distill the 3 inner star-companents that make up the one matter.

Reasoning behind it:
    The masculine wings next to the human head = iron. It must be but a seed, due to the size in comparison to the feminine fins/wings of "love" - fittingly blue-ish since its all copper, thus the egg. The scales of the body are more akin to that of a fish than a reptile - and its black coloration matching that of the moon's face = a sign/relationship between them, dew perhaps. (as it smells like fish).
    The serpents tail is very much the pure vapor of a distillation (moving serpentine-like), being heated by vulgar fire (the red-winged boots on a man's feet = iron/fire, also the relation between the face-wings), in order to separate the spagyrics of the matter: body/lunar, spirit/solar, and the mediating mercury which holds and joins the two.

A marriage/union leading to a birth, which dies, ascends, descends, and is reborn.

~Seth-Ra
    One fatal tree there stands of knowledge called, forbidden them to taste. Knowledge forbidden? Suspicious. Reasonless. And why should their Lord envy them that? Can it be sin to know? Can it be death? And do they stand by ignorance, is that their happy state, the proof of their obedience and their faith?

The detail inside the sign of Mercury is a dark face in profile. The margin of the circle shows rays like the sun, with a corona - this is an image of the eclipse. The black face is Cronus, perhaps digesting Zeus.

I definitely see circulation here.

At the bottom it indicates that these wings which stand in the air are the fire which is to drive our circulation. That is to say, we should heat the matter with our Iron, but be very sure that it remains stably founded in the Air/Spirit.
    From separation between the seen and the unseen, a feeling of distance.
    From separation between the seen and the seen, a feeling of breadth.
    From separation between the unseen and the unseen, a feeling of depth.
    From rotation of the elements, a feeling of motion.
    From the equivalence of alternate rotations, a feeling of choice.

I see it also as a pagan art expressing their beliefs of the creation of human and hes/her evolution.

Blog Entries
    Python's tail wraps about the eagle (sal volatile?) and the sun (soul), but doesn't hold the third principle (merury) tightly at all.

I suppose if you tried to unravel his tail the fixed elements would be the deepest of the elements and the first to be entwined.

and to paraphrase Paracelsus: what is white is joined with life, and what is black promotes death.
    Python's face is black, his legs and tail white-ish--although the only other version of this I've seen is a black and white print in which his face is white. Mostly just curious why the artist decided to color Python's face all black...
    Last edited by Kiorionis; 01-13-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks for posting this work of art. It gives me an idea of what to do with one of my recent works. A child may soon mature well past ripeness.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    Python's tail wraps about the eagle (sal volatile?) and the sun (soul), but doesn't hold the third principle (merury) tightly at all.
    yeah, i noticed this too... the same knot reversed, and then passing the third neck to drape over a... fire? sprouting salt??
    http://serpentrioarquila.blogspot.com/

"To conjure is nothing else than to observe anything rightly, to know and understand what it is." - Paracelsus

"Why, then, don't you act when you see the danger of your conditioning? The answer is you don't see... seeing is acting." J. Krishnamurti

All of these are just my humble opinions on it.

The tail represents the end and it's not wrapped tightly because it can escape. The absurdly long tail might also be an indicator of time. Also the tail really isn't wrapped around the third aspect(mercury) at all(more than one reason), it's actually wrapped around the red pointy thing that sticks out. They aren't really the same thing but they kind of are.

The black face represents black stage. Notice the shape of the face and long beard, this would be our old man.

The shoes with wings represent mobility which can be by air or by water. I'm somewhat sure it doesn't move on it's own by land so the legs/feet themselves are probably just another reference to the old man aspect. This especially makes sense when you notice the underside is darker and connected to the face in color, you can almost see him hunching over.

The necks are white, yellow, and a mix. The coloring hints at their nature and mixing. I would have probably colored it differently but it's not wrong.

The left wings remind me of a peacock's tail and line up with the red wings. Around the hearts appears to be little lines which I take as symbols for heat rising upwards, up in this case would be going right to left. The blue hearts would be going the other direction downwards. For that reason the red wings attached to the face make me think of ascending and descending by fire. That's probably why they are attached there. In other words they are where they are needed.
    Last edited by Lunsola; 03-22-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Left something out.

+ Reply to Thread