Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Log In Time-Out?

Blog Entries

Many of us are having the unpleasant experience of working really hard on a post, only to click 'Reply' and find out that all we wrote is gone because we've been automatically logged out... Some of us re-start from scratch/memory, others give up altogether.

Many websites that require logging in, also have an automatic log-out function after a certain period of apparent inactivity (activity is interpreted as refreshing/changing pages/browsing through/etc...).

In most cases, this is for 'security' reasons, in case you are on a public computer or are posting 'sensitive' information that you wouldn't want to be associated with you by a by-passer, in case you leave your computer. Or simply to prevent anyone else from accessing your account if you go away and forget to log out.

Many web-based email services also have this automatic Log Out feature (or 'Log In Time-Out'), after a certain period of apparent lack of activity.

There is a simple way to prevent this problem on Alchemy Forums:

Under your Log-In info fields (User Name & Password), there is a little box called Remember Me.

Just check/tick that box and you will NOT be automatically logged out until you log out manually OR unless your computer/the Internet shuts down or the entire world shuts down altogether

Just in case, it's also a good idea to copy, paste & save a post you deem important to a text document on your computer.

Thanks Androgynus

I have been bitten by that one on more than one occasion.

Ghislain

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    Under your Log-In info fields (User Name & Password), there is a little box called Remember Me.
    Thanks for this tip, Androgynus! I can't remember how often I typed in a long response, only to find that my session had "timed out" and I lost my entire post.

Sometimes out of frustration, I would not bother posting it again, other times I would provide a condensed version, likely with some points missing.

But I have since learned to make a copy of the message before sending it.

Illen

Mod Edit: 'Uploading Images' related topic > > > continued on Posting Images & Videos.
    Last edited by Andro; 02-27-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Thread Topic Management.

Blog Entries
    I too had to recreate many posts from memory.

I thought the Remember Me box was for something else, but checking it actually keeps you logged in indefinitely (until you log out).

I hope many people see this post/thread and put an end to the automatic Log-Out inconvenience once and for all
    Last edited by Andro; 02-27-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Thread Topic Management.

I thought that too. I assumed if I clicked it I wouldn't have to log in next time I visited. Totally got me on my first post but I started checking to see if I was logged in after that. Now thanks to this thread I won't have to do that anymore! Thanks for that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbital View Post
    I wrote a nice post, and it's gone now cause I got auto logged out.
    I'm all bummered out.
    To prevent this from happening again, please see this: Log In Time-Out?

Thanks Androgynus!

Blog Entries
    Since people are still having the occasional 'Log In Time-Out' issue, I though I'd re-post the original message as a reminder:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many of us are having the unpleasant experience of working really hard on a post, only to click 'Reply' and find out that all we wrote is gone because we've been automatically logged out...

Some of us re-start from scratch/memory, others give up altogether.

Many websites that require logging in, also have an automatic log-out function after a certain period of apparent inactivity (activity is interpreted as refreshing/changing pages/browsing through/etc...).

In most cases, this is for 'security' reasons, in case you are on a public computer or are posting 'sensitive' information that you wouldn't want to be associated with you by a by-passer, in case you leave your computer. Or simply to prevent anyone else from accessing your account if you go away and forget to log out.

Many web-based email services also have this automatic Log Out feature (or 'Log In Time-Out'), after a certain period of apparent lack of activity.

There is a simple way to prevent this problem on Alchemy Forums:

Just check/tick that box and you will NOT be automatically logged out
    until you log out manually OR unless your computer/the Internet shuts down or the entire world shuts down altogether

Just in case, it's also a good idea to copy, paste & save a post you deem important to a text document on your computer.

Blog Entries
    I've changed log-in time out from 15 min to 1 hour. Might help.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

+ Reply to Thread