Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Distillation Vessels

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    @JDP
    That makes sense!
    It would be interesting though to compare the yield of our setups. We could distill a certain amount of booze of a certain concentration. I don't want to compare the length of certain body parts if you know what I mean. I'm just curious. Are you interested?

Edit: And I am interested in your sources. Can you tell me where you found this information? Sorry if this is common knowledge here, but it is the first time I hear about such a method.
    I don't use alembics to distill alcohol, I use the plain distillation flasks that chemists use, like the one I posted before. With simple rubber stoppers and Graham or Liebig condensers attached to the side-arm they work very well for such a purpose.

If I remember correctly, I read about that technique of putting a tube between the joints of the receiver and side-arm to act as a vent in one of the works attributed to Ramon Llull, or maybe it was in the work of one of his followers (Parisinus, Guido, Ripley, etc.)

Isaac Hollandus in his "Mineral Work" describes another technique: start to distill without luting the receiver, then after the distillate has started collecting in the receiver, apply the lute to the joint between the receiver and the side-arm. This, however, is not as safe, as the vapors/gases from what is being distilled might not condense and will not find an exit. However, since the lute would still be "fresh", I suppose that before bursting the glass apparatus they would actually just "blow" the lute out.

Thank you!

+ Reply to Thread