Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: As Above So Below (translations)

As Above So Below (translations)

Translations
    From Jabir ibn Hayyan: That which is above is from that which is below, and that which is below is from that which is above, working the miracles of one.
    Translation of Issac Newton: That wch is below is like that wch is above & that wch is above is like yt wch is below to do ye miracles of one only thing.
    Translation from Kriegsmann: These things below with those above and those with these join forces again so that they produce a single thing the most wonderful of all.
    From Sigismund Bacstrom: the superior agrees with the inferior, and the inferior agrees with the superior, to effect that one truly wonderful work.
    From Madame Blavatsky: What is below is like that which is above, and what is above is similar to that which is below to accomplish the wonders of the one thing.
    From Fulcanelli: As below, so above; and as above so below. With this knowledge alone you may work miracles.
    From Idres Shah: What is above is like what is below. What is below is like what is above. The miracle of unity is to be attained.
    Hypothetical Chinese Original: See, the highest comes from the lowest, and the lowest from the highest; indeed a marvelous work of the tao.

From all thees my translation would be: With the miracle of the one, from above down to below and from below up with the one, to attain unity.
    Just because I'm ugly doesn't mean that I'm a witch and that I do bad things, I'm ugly of the toxins that had an affect on me wile trying to find a cure for your sorry ass.

In some cases we have "from" implying origin or even movement. In some cases we have "as" implying symmetry. We have a "like" to show similar property. We have "with" having the two join forces and act together.

All very interesting concepts to me.

It sounds a bit like a yinyang too in a wayn maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilos View Post
    Translations

From Jabir ibn Hayyan: That which is above is from that which is below, and that which is below is from that which is above, working the miracles of one.

Translation of Issac Newton: That wch is below is like that wch is above & that wch is above is like yt wch is below to do ye miracles of one only thing.

Translation from Kriegsmann: These things below with those above and those with these join forces again so that they produce a single thing the most wonderful of all.

From Sigismund Bacstrom: the superior agrees with the inferior, and the inferior agrees with the superior, to effect that one truly wonderful work.

From Madame Blavatsky: What is below is like that which is above, and what is above is similar to that which is below to accomplish the wonders of the one thing.

From Fulcanelli: As below, so above; and as above so below. With this knowledge alone you may work miracles.

From Idres Shah: What is above is like what is below. What is below is like what is above. The miracle of unity is to be attained.

Hypothetical Chinese Original: See, the highest comes from the lowest, and the lowest from the highest; indeed a marvelous work of the tao.

From all thees my translation would be: With the miracle of the one, from above down to below and from below up with the one, to attain unity.

http://gnosis.org/naghamm/gthlamb.html FROM THE GOSPEL OF THOMAS, a variation

(22) Jesus saw infants being suckled. He said to his disciples, "These infants being suckled are like those who enter the kingdom."
    They said to him, "Shall we then, as children, enter the kingdom?"
    Jesus said to them, "When you make the two one, and when you make the inside like the outside and the outside like the inside, and the above like the below, and when you make the male and the female one and the same, so that the male not be male nor the female female; and when you fashion eyes in the place of an eye, and a hand in place of a hand, and a foot in place of a foot, and a likeness in place of a likeness; then will you enter the kingdom."

THE EMERALD TABLET http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Tablet
    Newton's translation

A translation by Isaac Newton is found among his alchemical papers that are currently housed in King's College Library, Cambridge University.[8]
    1. Tis true without lying, certain & most true.
    2. That which is below is like that which is above & that which is above is like that which is below to do the miracles of one only thing

With both the fractal and the hologram modern versions. The fractal contains itself over and over. Same with the hologram. Any piece of a hologram contains the whole of the hologram. They both can be said as above so below, as below so above.

The Gospel of Thomas puts more of a different alchemical spin on it. The male and female made the same, not male and not female, and make them ONE (entering the kingdom).

The alchemical marriage makes One of "male" and the "female" sides of as being. The Alchemical Union between Shiva and Shakti.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Para_Brahman
    When the diverse cosmos emerged from Shiva’s Shakti, the original desire that is the Primordial Will to be pervaded all manifestation. Microcosmically and macrocosmically, as above so below, all is Shiva/Shakti.

So there is all sorts of agreement on this one. It's originates in the experience and an important of it.

+ Reply to Thread