Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Récréations Hermétiques in English?

Récréations Hermétiques in English?

I am interesting to obtain Recreations Hermétiques in English.

Kind regards,

amoodikh

Quote Originally Posted by amoodikh View Post
    I am interesting to obtain Recreations Hermétiques in English.
    Kind regards,
    amoodikh
    It has been translated into English and is awaiting a final check before it will be published by an acquaintance.

Thanks IIIen for your feedback. Please adivse once it is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    It has been translated into English and is awaiting a final check before it will be published by an acquaintance.

any update on that?

-sam

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    any update on that?

-sam
    We currently have a reasonably good draft translation of the complete work, which just needs a final edit. We are a little concerned about publishing this and other fascinating books in process (e.g. the very large, uncondensed work of Petrus Bonus), based on a recent discussion by an author of alchemical texts who could not even retrieve the cost of publishing his books.

In other words, it will likely cost us, in total, more to publish it than any total returns that we may receive, let alone likely not ever being able to recover any of the incredible amount of time and effort that it took to translate/edit it. There are also often addiitonal costs, sometimes quite substantial, associated with obtaining the source materials in the first place. For example, I recently contacted a University for digitized copies of only two pages of a manuscript, and the total cost alone for those two pages was $103. It leaves us (and other potential authors of additional works) in a real dilemma.

We are willing to entertain any possible creative solutions to this problem.

Illen

We are a little concerned about publishing this and other fascinating books in process (e.g. the very large, uncondensed work of Petrus Bonus), based on a recent discussion by an author of alchemical texts who could not even retrieve the cost of publishing his books.
    Illen
    very understandable your position, and I think I recognize the author you mention.

well, that seems the perfect first object for the proposed crowd funding.
    what amount would you aim at for the entire project, assuming nice layout and print thru LULU (but not thru a publishing house because that would create all kinds of legal problems) - so the amount should reflect the sum you really want to gain for your work - not including any possible additional sales later (after the patrons get heir books) because those may or may not materialize.

what market price for the individual book you suggest?

-sam

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    very understandable your position, and I think I recognize the author you mention.

well, that seems the perfect first object for the proposed crowd funding.
    what amount would you aim at for the entire project, assuming nice layout and print thru LULU (but not thru a publishing house because that would create all kinds of legal problems) - so the amount should reflect the sum you really want to gain for your work - not including any possible additional sales later (after the patrons get heir books) because those may or may not materialize.

what market price for the individual book you suggest?

-sam
    Great questions, sam. I will continue to discuss these questions with my partner and get back to you. Now that most of the work has been completed, I'm eager to get this book out as soon as possible so that I can focus on the next project(s).

Ilen

If I may make a suggestion:

dont go too low on the price or the total amount. If you do you'll blow it for all future projects because sponsors will be spoiled and think someone who actually asks for a fair payment is a money grabbing hog.

from the bad experience I have I will not ever publish an alchemical text in booklength (even a short book) below 50 bucks. The way I see it those interested will purchase anyway, even if alchemy is only a hobby. people spend fortunes on mindless hobbies like stamp collections. We should not become overly moderate here I think.

btw: if you are willing to commit to the crowdfunding scheme with this project and give it a fair chance, say, 3-4 month for reaching the financial goal, I would go ahead and start preparing such a site for alchemy literature as proposed by me in the other thread.

you can pm me if you like or discuss it here or in the other thread.

-sam
    Last edited by sam; 02-01-2015 at 11:19 AM. Reason: additions

We currently have a reasonably good draft translation of the complete work, which just needs a final edit. We are a little concerned about publishing this and other fascinating books in process (e.g. the very large, uncondensed work of Petrus Bonus), based on a recent discussion by an author of alchemical texts who could not even retrieve the cost of publishing his books.

In other words, it will likely cost us, in total, more to publish it than any total returns that we may receive, let alone likely not ever being able to recover any of the incredible amount of time and effort that it took to translate/edit it. There are also often addiitonal costs, sometimes quite substantial, associated with obtaining the source materials in the first place. For example, I recently contacted a University for digitized copies of only two pages of a manuscript, and the total cost alone for those two pages was $103. It leaves us (and other potential authors of additional works) in a real dilemma.

We are willing to entertain any possible creative solutions to this problem.

Illen
    I sympathise, but that's the experience of a lot of other people, such as Adam Maclean who has been translating and transcribing works for years, he can't make much money out of it at all. It's a labour of love.
    Have you tried something like Kickstarter? Not sure enough people would be interested to do anything, but you never know.
    Adam has also put the price up on his book copies, because he sees some of the older ones for sale second hand at vastly inflated prices, so there are some people out there who will pay a lot for them.

Quote Originally Posted by guthrie View Post
    I sympathise, but that's the experience of a lot of other people, such as Adam Maclean who has been translating and transcribing works for years, he can't make much money out of it at all. It's a labour of love.
    Have you tried something like Kickstarter? Not sure enough people would be interested to do anything, but you never know.
    Adam has also put the price up on his book copies, because he sees some of the older ones for sale second hand at vastly inflated prices, so there are some people out there who will pay a lot for them.
    Thanks for your comments, guthrie. We're not looking for any real profit, just enough to cover our expenses and if a little is left over, then a very small portion for the incredible amount of time it took to translate it and edit it several times. We don't ever expect to be reimbursed for all the time it took, so from that perspective, it's a "labour of love" and a way to help others. I have actually transcribed an important document for Adam Maclean in the past. It was done without any expectations for any type of reimbursement, so was it entirely a labour of love. We have been thinking about raising the price of the book in order to help deter purchasers from making it freely available to others. It's much more unlikely for those more serious alchemists who purchase a book for a higher price to upload it for free than if the price was minimal, as we initially hoped to do. However, we still don't want to raise the price too high, so that those with less finances could also afford it. It's a fine line.

+ Reply to Thread