Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Thread: Récréations Hermétiques in English?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmuldvich View Post
    I posted two different [full] translations in the 'Recreations Hermitque" thread.
    No offence, but those translations are extremely poor and very misleading. If you are so cheap that you are satisfied with something that misleading, be my guest. Even the limited edition of our book is so affordable that it is within the reach of the budget of most people. The paperback will be even more affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    No offence, but those translations are extremely poor
    I agree. The first one I found randomly somewhere, and the second one is a Google Translate version from French I believe. Poor indeed!

I bet your book is much nicer! Can you post a picture, two, or three of the hardcopy y'all made? Maybe the cover and a page or two?

Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    ...and very misleading. If you are so cheap that you are satisfied with something that misleading, be my guest. Even the limited edition of our book is so affordable that it is within the reach of the budget of most people. The paperback will be even more affordable.
    Awesome news!

Are you able to provide me an example passage (compared with your translation) that you find "misleading"?

Can you post a picture, two, or three of the hardcopy y'all made? Maybe the cover and a page or two?
    Here's a picture of one of the pages:

http://rubedo.press/propaganda/2017/...ic-recreations

And here's the cover and inner title of the hardcover version:

http://rubedo.press/propaganda/2018/...tic-masterwork

I believe this might end up being the cover of the paperback version (originally considered for the hardcover edition):

http://rubedo.press/purchace/hermeti...tions-hardback

Are you able to provide me an example passage (compared with your translation) that you find "misleading"?
    I would have to go back through it (I'm quite busy working on the second book). It should be obvious from anyone who has worked a lot with Google translations that the results are quite poor and that subtlety, which is used a lot in alchemy, is seldom captured. Many words have several meanings, and Google often only captures the most common meaning. A huge number of words were written in 17th century French, which would not translate directly in Google. Some of these words required significant research to find modern equivalents. The modern equivalents of all old French words used in the treatise are provided in the book. For an example of how often even modern Google translations are confusing or misleading, see the translations used by some of the non-English speaking members of this and other forums.

I just looked at the first paragraph of the Google translation and compared it with our translation. Even this little snippet shows that the Google translation is very confusing and misleading. Here is the Google translation that you provided:

"Science feel like things the vicissitudes of time and escalate rather than acquiring the increase. Men systems, welcomed on all sides, created disorder in the vast field of imagination, and most bizarre flowers were the product: these flowers have finally become so for the best books, the most rhetoric are deemed worthless if they are decorated."

Here is our translation:

"Like all things, the sciences undergo the vicissitudes of time, and tend to degenerate rather than grow. Welcomed everywhere, men with structured systems have sown disorder within the vast field of the imagination, resulting in the most bizaree flowers. These blossoms ultimately attained such favour that the best books, and the most beautiful speeches, were deemed worthless if they were not adorned by them."

There are many problems with the Google translation, even for this one paragraph. For example, it states that sciences escalate. In fact the text states that they degenerate. Translating such statements in reverse could lead to serious misleading concepts when it comes to the alchemical process, which must be understood very exactly. Much of the rest of the Google translation in this one paragraph alone is quite confusing. For example, what does: "... these flowers have finally become so for the best books, the most rhetoric are deemed worthless if they are decorated" mean?

I could probably find far better examples of confusion and misleading statements in the rest of the Google translation, but this alone should suffice.

Blog Entries
    I just logged on to the Rubedo Press site, and there are still copies available.

Well worth it, in my opinion.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Hurray! It will be available on amazon in a few days. You finally can buy this book without the extraordinary shipping fees! Illen, if you have something to do with this, thank you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Illen, if you have something to do with this, thank you!
    He did.

I just now ordered my own hardcover copy. It looks great.

Edit: I just got it... as a book it looks very nice... have not read it yet, but the little I did read seems very good... worth the price.

Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Hurray! It will be available on amazon in a few days. You finally can buy this book without the extraordinary shipping fees! Illen, if you have something to do with this, thank you!
    Yes, two of us initiated it, and did the majority of the work, and then we got two others to review our translation and make corrections. Stanislas Klossowski De Rola, the son of the famous French artist Balthus, a lifelong student of alchemy (going back more than 45 years), author of two previous books on alchemy (one from 1973), who is totally familiar with French, close friend of the deceased Eugene Canseliet (direct student of Fulcanelli and the compiler of his books), (and, incidentally, close friend of the Rolling Stones - especially the deceased Brian Jones - and the Beatles), did an outstanding job of editing it and providing comments. The Publisher, also made some final edits.

+ Reply to Thread