Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Manly P. Hall

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lo! View Post
    Yes! That is what I meant, but not what I said. Turns out I was mistaken, at any rate. I learned a while back that Hall completed most of his works (Initiates of the Flame, Secret Teachings, etc.) and gave hundreds of lectures when he wasn't even a Freemason, though a very thorough masonic historian, and that his 33rd degree was honorary (as it always is). I took this to mean that he didn't partake in the blue lodge degrees, which he did when he was older. Sorry if I confused anyone, but I am glad I got that straightened out.
    It happens.

Yes, I think he was "raised" in the 50s at a blue lodge.

Actually, it was kind of depressing for me to learn... I had always assumed that the secret teachings of all ages, his magnum opus, was completed at the very end of his life after an exhausted lifetime of study and learning. Turns out he published that book when he was in his mid-twenties, barely older than I am now. I guess I have some work to do. =]
    He seemed to have an unusual upbringing, exposed to esoteric teachings early. But he very likely "brought it" with him for it's not unusual for some to be able to write impressive volumes on esotericism under 30.

You know, there's no thing under the sun that's new, it's only that we attach names and identities to recycled knowledge from one era to the next. It's much better that one lives the wisdom, which if I may be frank doesn't seem the case in Hall's relationships (if one looks closer).

Yes, it seems that married life didn't suit him very well... Sometimes I fear that the path to wisdom for which I pray may alienate me; it seems that often the life of the genius or the enlightened is a very solitary path, wrought with isolation and social abandonment or estrangement. That's why I'm thankful for people like Rudolf Steiner and Jung; whenever I see an enlightened thinker that had a family I give a little cheer on the inside.

Blog Entries
    Yes, it seems that married life didn't suit him very well... Sometimes I fear that the path to wisdom for which I pray may alienate me; it seems that often the life of the genius or the enlightened is a very solitary path, wrought with isolation and social abandonment or estrangement. That's why I'm thankful for people like Rudolf Steiner and Jung; whenever I see an enlightened thinker that had a family I give a little cheer on the inside.
    Also see this thread: Relationship with an Alchemist... No thanks?!

Now back to Manly P. Hall, please (a.k.a. 'The Topic' )

+ Reply to Thread