Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Practical Alchemist With No Lab

Practical Alchemist With No Lab

I am primarily concerned with practical alchemy but due to the nature of my living arrangements will be unable to operate a lab for some time, likely at least 2 years. My question is this: How important is it to have a lab at your disposal to try out ideas with during the stages of study when one is still uncertain of the various paths to the stone and which one they will take? Is it still useful to study the art in the interim or is one better off waiting until one has a lab? Another question: I learn quickly, I pick up ideas and concepts with reletive ease, and I already have a background both chemistry and the occult in general, will I find myself sitting around with a clear path to the stone in my head in a few years time with nothing to make it with or is this truely a Great Work? One that will take decades of one's life? I see what may be success from some people here after reletively little time and it gives me hope.

I am sorry if this is in the wrong board, I know it is only indirectly related to lab work but I figured I should put it here rather than in the general board.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Corlew View Post
    Is it still useful to study the art in the interim or is one better off waiting until one has a lab?
    You can spend these years reading & re-reading & re-re-reading the best books, developing alchemical powers of observation and meditating on 'The Work' and its principles.

Some experiments you can also perform with improvised equipment, as I already wrote in your Intro thread.

Is this truly a Great Work? One that will take decades of one's life?
    I'd set the counter for the Great (Universal) Work somewhere between decades and lifetimes. But sometimes amazing things can happen...

I see what may be success from some people here after relatively little time and it gives me hope.
    It depends a lot on one's definition of 'success'.

could easily take decades of your life. could take only months also. I dont think you need a full lab. you need to be able to distill. but you can do it with simple things. i right now and using big and little mason jars. gentle heat. everyone tends to want to rush. go straight to the GW. high heat and the works. destructive ways. not so much natural ways. i also have a sohlex distillation setup also my condenser is broke and i am poor and all my money goes to help others first it seems. this art, and unlike chemistry this is a art, can be a very rewarding life if you forget what you know and believe and let nature teach you. I myself am very much still learning, but i know nature is simple. the simplest. and perfect. but you may also waste years of your life with nothing in return. honestly, i have found over the internet, that everyone who knows not how to make the stone, tends to be very helpful with ideas and sharing information. but after one finds the stone, they become cryptic or hermits. the stone is not a fancy new car. or limited edition watch. its the secret of life. and the greatest reward one can find in a lifetime i am positive. alchemy is also not just a material practice. i believe if you are stubborn in accepting anything new in your spiritual life, you will always be left wanting.

I strongly suggest you do try the art. unlearn and relearn the process of the universe. what we are taught in schools is only a distraction for the most part. i also have to point out that alchemy is a addiction. the more you learn about it, the more you believe in it. also the more (in my experience) you can find yourself separating from the material world. from girlfriends/boyfriends, family, friends. not in a bad way, but simply find you have wasted alot of life with "what you are suppose to do in society." and the gf/bf thing is just cause you seek time in the lab, or they find you odd and silly for looking at alchemy. "the science that doesnt exist." you find yourself always thinking outside of the lab about what you have read or can do next in the lab lol. its crazy how quick it can snatch you in. seeking the stone, just seeking the truth, or seeking God.

i would say if interested, start with spagyrics. many tend to skip right to the stone. the mineral realm. but many important steps are found, and taught, in the plant world. with less dangers and still many rewards. there are TONS of books. even a section on this forum for links to many books to get you started in either realm. good luck Leon. and welcome you to the art.

first actual post btw lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by psykopanther View Post
    first actual post btw lol.
    And what a most excellent 'first actual post' that was, pp

I find myself agreeing with almost everything you wrote...

I myself am fortunate enough to have a Partner who is also a Partner in The Art, but I also personally know brilliant Alchemists who are in relationships with non-Alchemists, and they seemingly have what it takes to make it both work and Work. However, such instances may be rare. See THIS THREAD.

If interested, start with spagyrics. Many tend to skip right to the stone. The mineral realm.
    It is theoretically possible to 'skip' spagyrics and common plants & minerals, and go straight to the source, so to speak...
    In most cases, however, I'd recommend to at least get acquainted with some plant works first.
    They're generally safer than common minerals, and can teach us a lot.

Matter, in general, can be a great teacher because it doesn't generally lie/confuse like texts/people sometimes do.
    Last edited by Andro; 01-11-2014 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    You can spend these years reading & re-reading & re-re-reading the best books, developing alchemical powers of observation and meditating on 'The Work' and its principles.

Some experiments you can also perform with improvised equipment, as I already wrote in your Intro thread.
    See response in intro thread.

I'd set the counter for the Great (Universal) Work somewhere between decades and lifetimes. But sometimes amazing things can happen...
    Who's to say I haven't started that counter in another lifetime? But I get what you mean.

It depends a lot on one's definition of 'success'.
    True, and to be honest I can claim no ability to judge the progress of others, my limited knowlage as it is.

this art, and unlike chemistry this is a art, can be a very rewarding life if you forget what you know and believe and let nature teach you.
    I have done a fair bit of forgetting and editing of my "knowlage" of natural processes, else I would not be here, I first had to reach a point where I found the idea of alchemy plausible, and then likely, I am now rather sure.

but you may also waste years of your life with nothing in return.
    While I can accept this I (and this may seem arrogant) believe I will prevail.

honestly, i have found over the internet, that everyone who knows not how to make the stone, tends to be very helpful with ideas and sharing information. but after one finds the stone, they become cryptic or hermits. the stone is not a fancy new car. or limited edition watch. its the secret of life. and the greatest reward one can find in a lifetime i am positive.
    This is why I am drawn to it, my question has always been, "What is the best way to spend one's life? What is the highest attainable goal?". I believe that I have found that goal in the stone, unless literal physical trascendence is possible (I think it may be) in which case the stone is a major step in that direction.

alchemy is also not just a material practice. i believe if you are stubborn in accepting anything new in your spiritual life, you will always be left wanting.
    Depending on where you stand from my entire spiritual life is new. I was at one point a staunch atheist but psychedelics do wonderful things. I fully intend to incorrporate all the hermetic arts into my work.

what we are taught in schools is only a distraction for the most part.
    I too have come to this conclusion. Alchemical knowlage has been (inadvertantly otherwise) trampled by the onrush of societal and technological progress brought on by empiricism.

i also have to point out that alchemy is a addiction. the more you learn about it, the more you believe in it. also the more (in my experience) you can find yourself separating from the material world. from girlfriends/boyfriends, family, friends. not in a bad way, but simply find you have wasted alot of life with "what you are suppose to do in society." and the gf/bf thing is just cause you seek time in the lab, or they find you odd and silly for looking at alchemy. "the science that doesnt exist." you find yourself always thinking outside of the lab about what you have read or can do next in the lab lol. its crazy how quick it can snatch you in. seeking the stone, just seeking the truth, or seeking God.
    I think this is the core of my fascination with the stone and alchemy. Truth seeking. I've always been somewhat obsessed with information, and by extension, truth. At one point I believed that modern science held the answers but as I sank deeper and deeper into the internet and my worldview shifted I realised that not only were things like occultism not crazy but very likely based in reality. Even from there it was a long road to accepting alchemy, as I could not reconcile it with my knowlage of chemistry. But I now see it as the highest truth attainable in this existance.

i would say if interested, start with spagyrics. many tend to skip right to the stone. the mineral realm. but many important steps are found, and taught, in the plant world. with less dangers and still many rewards. there are TONS of books. even a section on this forum for links to many books to get you started in either realm. good luck Leon. and welcome you to the art.
    I will certainly look into the plant realm to pick up the flow of the work. Thank you for this excellent first post!

Hi Leon Corlew and welcome.

At one point I believed that modern science held the answers but as I sank deeper and deeper into the internet and my worldview shifted I realised that not only were things like occultism not crazy but very likely based in reality. Even from there it was a long road to accepting alchemy, as I could not reconcile it with my knowlage of chemistry. But I now see it as the highest truth attainable in this existance.
    Did anything in particular change your view?

Ghislain

Edit: Just to keep on topic, I started out with jam jars and wine bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post
    Did anything in particular change your view?
    I suppose it was a combination of things. I had always wanted things like occultism to be real but I had this doctrine of empiricism drilled into my head, and as such could not allow myself belief in something that was so dubious. As I mentioned the factor that sort of unstuck my thought process was a very intense mushroom trip that served to shift some interesting ideas into my head. This in combination with some seemingly pre-cognitive dreams I was having (which led me to some odd theories of time) started a slow internal progression that eventually, with sufficient study and curiosity, led me to alchemy as one of the purest expressions of the underlying forces in the universe.

start with plants as main focus with maybe the metal experiments on the side. learn how and why the plants do what they do in natures cycle. plus spagyric medicine with not only help your health, but also help your spiritual side.

"Alchemical knowlage has been (inadvertantly otherwise) trampled by the onrush of societal and technological progress brought on by empiricism." - yea i totally agree. although your way of stating this is to techy for me lol. to many big words for us country folk lol.

also, i am not sure if i can post links for books, PM me for a excellent start on plants and even minerals. remember to practice and come to your own truths though. books can misguide you on purpose while still guiding you correctly lol. Oh, alchemy. Such a tease and mysterical wonder
    Last edited by psykopanther; 01-12-2014 at 02:52 AM. Reason: cause i wanted to

The need of a lab depends very much on the alchemical way. The closer you work with Nature the less you will need it.
    A.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
    The need of a lab depends very much on the alchemical way. The closer you work with Nature the less you will need it.
    A.
    1. I agree in principle. The more 'canonical' the practice, the less equipment is probably needed, and certainly for the work after the generation of the initial subject(s), which after-work is mainly 'Solve & Coagula' (a.k.a. 'women's work and child's play'). For 'The Labors of Hercules', it may also be possible to work with a very minimal amount of equipment, depending on how one approaches the preparatory work. In some cases/approaches, it may be even possible to work almost without artificial heating as well.

2. This being said, I don't know many people who are able to arrive at simplicity without traveling through complexity, as far as lab equipment is concerned. And even with the greatest simplicity, a few containing vessels are probably needed, one or two maybe (unless you want to run variations in parallel).

3. Most of the lab equipment I acquired throughout the years is now in storage. It was a pricey lesson, but worth it.

4. The minimalistic lab gear I have/use now, because of my rather 'indie' approach, does include a few 'weird' custom made units... but that's just me...

5. You stole my One-Letter Signature

A.

+ Reply to Thread