Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Practical Alchemist With No Lab

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Corlew
    will I find myself sitting around with a clear path to the stone in my head in a few years time
    A bit edited but... Yes
    Then that conception of the stone will change. Then change again. And again. And etc.

The 'lab' can be defined in a number of ways. If you do yoga then the body is the lab.

When I started out I lived with my parents. Ive found the most useful of 'labwork' to be thus: take a sample of something and let it sit. watch it breath, watch it fester and run. Take it into the woods and leave it there. Then forget where you put it. Then start all over again. Then find what you've been thinking about
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
    The need of a lab depends very much on the alchemical way. The closer you work with Nature the less you will need it.
    Quoth Thomas Vaughn - Coellum Terrae:
    The true furnace is a little simple shell; thou mayest easily carry it in one of thy hands. The glass is one and no more; but some philosophers have used two, and so mayst thou. As for the work itself, it is no way troublesome; a lady may read the Arcadia and at the same time attend this philosophy without disturbing her fancy.
    Quoth Johan Friedrich FLEISCHER - Chemical Moonshine:
    God gives you the gift to find the Single One, seek the single vessel, oven and Fire, and let all other things alone: As various Matters, vessels, Phials, Solvents, bowls, mirrors, dishes, wood, coal, and other fire works. It costs nothing from the beginning to end, except your necessary maintenance, as nourishment and clothing. If you will understand the matter correctly, so also it will cost you little. Therefore I believe, that certainly God is everything in everything, and over everything; that if someone would make known to you, that there are great expenses here and there, that same one is a capital liar and fraud. For the Matter costs absolutely nothing, as that you accordingly work and take pains, mirror, polished dishes, vials and Solvent vessels, one can also have at a low price. A common vessel will perform as well as an expensive one, if only it is not porous or broken. Otherwise you need no expensive costs for the work, not even a Penny. If I should reveal to a Simpleton the Secret Materia and mode of proceeding, I certainly believe he would call me a boaster, clown, and moreover would believe that I build Castles in the Air; and might quite well believe that I have been robbed of my senses. And yet so simple and common are our Materia and method of Operation; so great, so noble, so glorious, so valuable, and so indescribably great are its virtues.
    Quoth 'Recreations Hermetiques' (Google translated ):
    We do not need for this work, nor Alembic, or retorts, much less salts, ardent spirits, acids or corrosives etc...

Blog Entries
    I enjoyed what Androgynus wrote, this is one of many:

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    It is theoretically possible to 'skip' spagyrics and common plants & minerals, and go straight to the source, so to speak...In most cases, however, I'd recommend to at least get acquainted with some plant works first.
    There's real danger in taking lab-alchemy any other way than with respect and caution. Many alchemist of Old and modern ones, most of them, actually lived a shorter (and bitter) life because of their rashness, consequently got poisoned, inhaled lethal doses, etc.

Lab-alchemy without the inner work is either chemistry or narcissism (viz., mania) or 'wisdom lost on youth'.

It is just my opinion, but please let me make it clear here, if you're the one who can make the Lapis (without any prior experience with laboratory work or any other) then you would have already "brought-in" that knowledge, glimpses of it, and now, today, if seen it fit, would easily make the Great Elixir for no other reason than because you can. It's fun. And natural.

The sign that the above is true, when a soul is born, and instead of spending their life having their minds changed, shifting from one philosophy to another, one school of thought to another, but already have that underlying spirituality in their unfaltered awareness. A person who's a Theosophist for a decade, then a Catholic another, then a Buddhist, as is popular with humanity is not the type of soul that the above comment relates to. And there's no thing wrong with being this way. Most will say you're forming your identity. But I say, that's not the one who makes the Philosopher's Stone without any learning.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Kris.

When I was 5 years old, I told my mother that my purpose in life is to discover a cure for all diseases and even for death.

I may phrase it somewhat differently today, but the essence remains the same.

Thanks Kris.

When I was 5 years old, I told my mother that my purpose in life is to discover a cure for all diseases and even for death.

I may phrase it somewhat differently today, but the essence remains the same.
    What you wrote brought a flood of memories back to me.
    Perhaps at that age we are much clearer in thought before we get trapped in the ways of the world.

My first lab.......at 5 years

1. I agree in principle. The more 'canonical' the practice, the less equipment is probably needed, and certainly for the work after the generation of the initial subject(s), which after-work is mainly 'Solve & Coagula' (a.k.a. 'women's work and child's play'). For 'The Labors of Hercules', it may also be possible to work with a very minimal amount of equipment, depending on how one approaches the preparatory work. In some cases/approaches, it may be even possible to work almost without artificial heating as well.

2. This being said, I don't know many people who are able to arrive at simplicity without traveling through complexity, as far as lab equipment is concerned. And even with the greatest simplicity, a few containing vessels are probably needed, one or two maybe (unless you want to run variations in parallel).

3. Most of the lab equipment I acquired throughout the years is now in storage. It was a pricey lesson, but worth it.

4. The minimalistic lab gear I have/use now, because of my rather 'indie' approach, does include a few 'weird' custom made units... but that's just me...

5. You stole my One-Letter Signature

A.

Hi Androgynus,
    Glad to see we share similar principles, including the 'healing' one. It does exist at least one way wich works without common fire and without a common vessel(s). Even for many ways the philosophical egg itself isn't a common vesel.
    Many people who have worked long and hard into complex ways such as the antimony ways, have finally concluded that true alchemy is very simple and closely related with nature.
    Sorry, I didn't reallize you were using a one-letter signature, I felt too lazy to write the entire name

Arrakis

Blog Entries
    Hi Androgynus
    Hello dear. Long time no talk, so hopefully you'll get your skype back soon or I'll come knocking on your door myself

Glad to see we share similar principles, including the 'healing' one.
    It's more than just principles, I would say... I mean, at least for me, it's a desire/obsession/passion/life purpose that one is pretty much born with/'marked' for, so there isn't really much choice about it, since denying it (for example) will only bring pain, which in turn will bring you closer to what you were running away from in the first place

It does exist at least one way which works without common fire and without a common vessel(s). Even for many ways the philosophical egg itself isn't a common vessel.
    Yes. This thread is taking a very interesting turn, while still remaining on the topic of 'Practicing Alchemist With No Lab'.

We are now talking about approaching the 'Great Work' in a way of uttermost natural elegance and simplicity, without the need for all sorts of complicated instruments.

The 'Philosophical Egg' is clearly not a common vessel, but the 'sealed' matter in which the evolution occurs. Still, something has to hold it

The same goes for other terms which are not necessarily interpreted in a common way, such as 'distillation', 'sublimation', 'hermetically sealed', etc...

So, in this sense, even a college kid without a lab/lab-space can go to Work. But it can often take years/decades/lifetimes to arrive at the Principles of the Work, and possibly even more to arrive at Simple Town, usually after a long drive on Complex Road... (To be noted, I am not talking about Internal/Yogic/Tantric/etc Alchemy, although the Principles are basically the same - I may share some 'Inner' works another time).

Many people who have worked long and hard into complex ways such as the antimony ways, have finally concluded that true alchemy is very simple and closely related with nature.
    'True Alchemy' can be equally 'true' in different paths/ways, no matter if the practice is more simple or more complex, as long as the Foundation Principles are observed.

One (working) path doesn't invalidate another.

As a kid, I could solve a Rubik's Cube in around 8-12 minutes.
    Yet, a neighbor boy, just slightly older than me, could solve it in under 2 minutes every time.
    I could never figure out how he did it, yet the Cube was solved by both of us, so it was a 'True Solution' in both cases.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were using a one-letter signature, I felt too lazy to write the entire name

Arrakis
    You are forgiven

A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Andro; 01-18-2014 at 07:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    My first lab.......at 5 years
    Wow! You haven't changed much (I mean, the inner child is still most definitely there...)

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Perhaps at that age we are much clearer in thought before we get trapped in the ways of the world.
    Perhaps not in conscious thought, but our super/sub-conscious is not (yet) messed up by 'education', bad parenting (with 'good intentions'), propaganda, organized religions and social programming in general, so it can, to some extent, still know (and even express) its inner quest and life purpose.

Blog Entries
    Can we make Alchemy with no Lab ?

Good question ...

Andro stress about the simplicity to acheive the "thing" by just a very limited space and very limited tools.

It is, indeed the case, and even in the case of more particular ways, an alembic, a retort, an athanor are required. Guerilla alchemy can do as better as a high grade Lab sometime.

But you need to know perfectly what you have to do.

For example, my curiosity in some processes will ask me to have a serious Lab.
    I feel more comfortable having a dedicated space, with my matter, glasswares, crucibles ... I can mess it, and secure it.

I have a friend having no space for his alembic, and he is so anxious because it is in the kitchen, his wife and daughter messing around, preparing food, etc. As it is a very fragile alembic, and quite expansive one also, he prefered to stop his experiments.
    Unfortunate, because he is able to work very nicely and to get "materials radiating like relics of a saint" !

Another guy I knew years ago was working cinnabar path and let his flask in the dining room, generating some turboleces in his familiy life. He is now seperated from his wife, maybe alchemy did something bad to his relationship life ? I don't know for sure.

You cannot do the great work in a kitchen, or in the dinning room. You won't exercice with dumbbells in the kitchen right ? Or beginning to paint a big canva there.
    Kitchen is for kitchening, dining room for dining.

A lab for "labing".

That's my opinion.
    Salazius

http://dartigne.blogspot.com/

My Works

"I want to transmute everywhere" ~ The Spirit of Alchemy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Salazius View Post
    You cannot do the great work in a kitchen, or in the dinning room.
    Kitchen is for kitchening, dining room for dining. A lab for "labing". That's my opinion.
    A dedicated/consecrated 'space' would be indeed advised for a variety of reasons (energetic, other family members, everything you mentioned).

The equipment needs are (as usual) tailored to the way one works.

Urbigerus claims that he completed the entire Opus 'on his kitchen stove'.

I guess we'll have to ask him what he means by that (or how he did it)

+ Reply to Thread