Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Practical Alchemist With No Lab

Blog Entries
    Diet is a big deal, so the body can be the lab also.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Hi Androgynus,
    Not such a long time, we talked through email the other day
    Undoubtingly, the alchemical language is often used metaphorically or meaning two different senses. This is for the matters; for the 'modus operandii'; or for the tools themselves. As for the tools, which is the subject in this thread, the term 'vessel' refers in some particular ways to a natural matter acting as vessel or as utter of the 'prima materia'. As long as the necessary conditions are given, it is not too important how the matter is hold. That's why in very particular cases, not even a sealed flask is needed.
    To put a more known example, in the cinnabar way a glass vessel is needed as for 'philosophical egg', where as in the dry way of antimony the 'philosophical egg' is a calcium matter obtained naturally during the previous operations.

Arrakis
    Last edited by Arrakis; 01-23-2014 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salazius View Post
    Can we make Alchemy with no Lab ?

Good question ...

Andro stress about the simplicity to acheive the "thing" by just a very limited space and very limited tools.

It is, indeed the case, and even in the case of more particular ways, an alembic, a retort, an athanor are required. Guerilla alchemy can do as better as a high grade Lab sometime.

But you need to know perfectly what you have to do.

For example, my curiosity in some processes will ask me to have a serious Lab.
    I feel more comfortable having a dedicated space, with my matter, glasswares, crucibles ... I can mess it, and secure it.

I have a friend having no space for his alembic, and he is so anxious because it is in the kitchen, his wife and daughter messing around, preparing food, etc. As it is a very fragile alembic, and quite expansive one also, he prefered to stop his experiments.
    Unfortunate, because he is able to work very nicely and to get "materials radiating like relics of a saint" !

Another guy I knew years ago was working cinnabar path and let his flask in the dining room, generating some turboleces in his familiy life. He is now seperated from his wife, maybe alchemy did something bad to his relationship life ? I don't know for sure.

You cannot do the great work in a kitchen, or in the dinning room. You won't exercice with dumbbells in the kitchen right ? Or beginning to paint a big canva there.
    Kitchen is for kitchening, dining room for dining.

A lab for "labing".

That's my opinion.
    Hi Salazius,
    Alchemy can be understood in different sides. What we discuss here is not really a question of spacial or finantial limitations, it is a question of concepts. To me 'high grade lab' are those conditions given to provoque the deeper and faster changes into the matter, and I believe that simplicity and naturality are essential in that purpose. While as complicated labs are 'guerilla alchemy'.
    Having said that, even being able to use a big lab with plenty of tools/vessels we would refuse it in order to go into 'higher alchemy', if you ascertain what I'm meaning.

Arrakis

Blog Entries
    In the most 'classical' way, only an earthen vessel is required to hold the Ph. Vessel/Matter(s), and some auxiliary wares may be needed on the side for convenience.

Also, for the 'classical' way, 'The Beginnings' (a.k.a. 'Labors of Hercules') may vary between operators, and as such may require different 'tools'.

I am personally very UN-interested in the likes of Cinnabar & Antimony, but it doesn't mean I invalidate them.

My personal goal is not only to complete the Great Work (when we're ready for each other - or when I'm ready for myself ), but also to do it in the most simple & elegant way possible.

I'm in no hurry. There are other things in my life that need to occur in parallel...

PS: Email ain't talking

PPS:
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
    Even being able to use a big lab with plenty of tools/vessels we would refuse it in order to go into 'higher alchemy'.
    I am similarly inclined. I've already said it lots of times, most of my lab gear that I acquired over past years, has been in storage for quite some time...

PPPS: So, to this topic, yes, I would agree that theoretically, even a college student living in a dorm would be able to commence the work with some good initial understanding.
    Last edited by Andro; 01-23-2014 at 05:31 PM. Reason: PPS & PPPS added :)

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    In the most 'classical' way, only an earthen vessel is required to hold the Ph. Vessel/Matter(s), and some auxiliary wares may be needed on the side for convenience.

Also, for the 'classical' way, 'The Beginnings' (a.k.a. 'Labors of Hercules') may vary between operators, and as such may require different 'tools'.

My personal goal is not only to complete the Great Work (when we're ready for each other - or when I'm ready for myself ), but also to do it in the most simple & elegant way possible.
    Very agree, that's exactly what I meant

I am personally very UN-interested in the likes of Cinnabar & Antimony, but it doesn't mean I invalidate them.
    It was to put a known example for every one here to help in understanding the concept I was meaning, but definitely not to be mixed up with the ways referred here.

Email ain't talking.
    Ok, comunicating then

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
    Very agree, that's exactly what I meant
    I'm SO glad this thread has taken this direction...

I also want to add that a Friend and I have sort of set a goal for ourselves to jointly develop a Way of Inner Alchemy (using our bodies/minds) that is simple, teachable and that accurately reflects/mirrors the EXACT same Laws/Principles as 'Lab' Alchemy. It requires no sexual or other types of partnering, as it can be efficiently performed by oneself, with no need for ANY 'external' lab. (Although, personally, for me, a combination of both would be ideal...)

Some promising initial results have already been experienced/observed/recorded, and this is something we would really like to develop into a comprehensive 'system' that is easy to teach and communicate, with no hidden/multiple meanings and allegories. It's a work in progress...

It may take some time & practice, but it's not a difficult one and the outcome appears to be heading towards similar directions as traditional 'Lab' Alchemy. Time will tell...
    Last edited by Andro; 01-23-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Androgynus, this last post sounds awesome. I am actually trying to work on my internal lab. but Having a really hard time finding any guidance or direction to begin this. What you are working on sounds like something very much needed in the alchemy community. Personally i believe there is less "threat" in guiding someone in the art by the inner path, then by simply showing them the physical manisfestation of a stone. After one learns and understands the inner path, he may understand the "bigger picture" of the art and God. therefore learning to know yet fear god if using the art for personal gain.
    thanks and very very much look forward to seeing how this progresses. wouldnt hurt for pointers now though lol :P

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by psykopanther View Post
    What you are working on sounds like something very much needed in the alchemy community.
    Personally i believe there is less "threat" in guiding someone in the art by the inner path, then by simply showing them the physical manifestation of a stone.
    After one learns and understands the inner path, he may understand the "bigger picture" of the art and God, therefore learning to know yet fear god if using the art for personal gain.
    Thank you, and I agree with what you wrote. But the word 'fear' is an inaccurate & potentially misleading translation of the Hebrew 'יראה'. The right translation is 'awe'

Quote Originally Posted by psykopanther View Post
    Very much look forward to seeing how this progresses. Wouldn't hurt for pointers now though.
    We're looking forward too. We probably won't 'release' anything until it's further tested and developed, but when it's ready, there will be absolutely no airs of mystery surrounding it - just simple, almost 'mechanical' applications of hermetic laws... And the rest will just take care of itself... Like I said, it's still a work in progress...

Blog Entries
    From 'Fountain Of Philosophic Salts':

I began to put my laboratory in order, picking up the glass instruments, pots, and other vessels that were lying here and there.
    I also repaired some furnaces. Finally, when I had spent the whole day on these tasks, I was tired, and sat down on one of the chairs at the table.
    Sleep came over me very swiftly. I had scarcely closed my eyes when someone opened the door. I saw a funny little man. He greeted me warmly.
    He said that he was a student of chemistry and wanted me to teach him. He said that he had come to meet me because he had heard about my work.
    I began a conversation with him and asked him how he liked my instruments. Then he asked me which operations I used them for. I told him that I was looking for the stone.
    He smiled and said that he thought I must be using such remarkable instruments to deceive careless people. He said I would see that I had really been deceiving myself instead.
    Note (in the context of this thread) how The Visitor thought that the Alchemist was using "such remarkable instruments" to "deceive careless people"...

Thank you all for this advice, sorry for the slow reply. The beginning of a new semester has slowed my research and unfortunately I have not yet sufficiently oriented myself with all this material to begin experiments but when I do I'll definitely read back through this thread, and post some pictures of my tiny dorm room lab!

+ Reply to Thread