Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A Calling to Those Adepts who have followed the BoA!

Illen would you not agree that alchemical practice is unique to the individual as much of oneself goes into the great work and if this is correct then how can anyone give instruction to another in a book?

Alchemy is a path one must travel using their own I individual map, perhaps stopping now and then to ask directions.

This is why each writing appears to contradict another, because they are written by and for that particular individual.

The moment one sees these writings as a map to be followed by all is the moment one steps on the wrong path. IMO

Ghislain

Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post
    Illen would you not agree that alchemical practice is unique to the individual as much of oneself goes into the great work and if this is correct then how can anyone give instruction to another in a book?

Alchemy is a path one must travel using their own I individual map, perhaps stopping now and then to ask directions.

This is why each writing appears to contradict another, because they are written by and for that particular individual.

The moment one sees these writings as a map to be followed by all is the moment one steps on the wrong path. IMO

Ghislain
    I agree. I believe that the journey is indeed unique, but that the end truth is the same for everyone. In other words, there is only one Truth, but there are as many pathways to it as there are humans. But this is difficult to express since even incorrect pathways are necessary parts of Truth. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I believe there is only one final ultimate realization that encompasses - well, everything.

Having said that, I believe there are an extraordinary number of false paths to that penultimate realization, and that today, more than anytime, the vast majority are following those paths. So I think that there are guidelines in how to limit those pathways to ones that follow the 'right' (i.e. in terms of 'final' realization) direction. It is this guidance that can be taught to those who are 'ready' by one who knows the way (i.e. one who has approached the final level of understanding).

Likewise with Alchemy. I believe that there are an extraordinary number of false paths, and that almost all people studying alchemy are following those paths. These are the "easy" paths. In other words, those who follow recipes almost literally like *** once did. The lab work itself may be difficult, but what I'm referring to is the 'understanding' of the process itself which is the most difficult part. Very few people I know are deeply interested in the theoretical, philosophical, and esoteric/hermetic background behind Achemy. Most skip over the theoretical parts of treatises and jump right to the practical parts. I firmly believe that the practical parts are blinds, leading to false pathways, and that the only keys to understanding the practice is contained in the theoretical parts. However, even the theoretical parts are grossly incomplete, and I believe that they are only segways that trigger a more internal symbolic understanding of hermetics. Although it 'may' be possible for an adept to teach a process, step by step, that converts base metals to gold to someone without a hermetic understanding, I believe that the inner understanding - through this process - will never be properly realized, and the transmutation will have no lasting value other than from a shallow materialistic point of view (which alone is a necessary understanding in one's journey). The entire exercise will be a total waste of effort from a more spiritual point of view.

There was a very important reason why all adepts insisted that Alchemy was a 'Philosophy' first, and that the practitioners were called "Philosophers" rather than "Artisans", or "Chemists" in modern terms.

Thus, in my opinion, there are as many paths as there are humans, but almost all paths go around in circles or lead to dead ends (from a more 'spiritual' point of view). A tiny number of paths do seem to lead to the transmutation of base metals to gold. But only a very small fraction of those paths continue on beyond this physical accomplishment, and lead towards the real hermetic/esoteric reasons why true Adepts hid the Philosophy so carefully from those who are not yet ready to transform themselves.

There is the outward sparkling Fool's Gold that satisfies our endless obsession with outward appearances, and then there is the real Gold, a tiny spark of primordial intent that is hidden deep inside the form of common gold, and which resonates with spiritual gnosis.
    Last edited by Illen A. Cluf; 02-08-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Blog Entries
    Illen, that was a wonderful post!

It's been a while since I enjoyed reading a post as much as I did this one.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    Illen, that was a wonderful post!

It's been a while since I enjoyed reading a post as much as I did this one.

Thank you!
    Thank you. I'm as surprised as you, and am still wondering where all that came from! Somewhere deep inside.
    Last edited by Illen A. Cluf; 02-09-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Heartfelt and I couldn't agree more.

Ghislain

I believe that the practical is just as important as theory, or else Alchemy is just an academic exercise, but of course theory must come first, and with a deep understanding. Even then we could still be on the wrong road, grasping for Ariadne's thread. But ... practical can feed theory.

Theory & practical are like the 2 strands of the helix - reinforcing each other
    Sometimes or/often the practical is a dead end, but even then I think we do learn from those dead ends.

I think most serious alchemists are really interested in the mystery of Alchemy, with Gold making being no more than an affiramtion of their theory being correct

Blog Entries
    Well if you mean spiritual alchemy when you say theory, then it is not only an academic exercise. It is a daily struggle.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Maybe you could say the practical is the Body, the theory is the Soul, and the Spiritual is the .......Spirit

Blog Entries
    Perhaps, what is the difference between spirit and soul really?

See: Spirit & Soul

Last edited by Awani; 02-12-2014 at 06:43 PM.
    Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    Midas Solomon, where art thou?

You've put out an enthusiastic 'call to arms' regarding the BoA, and at the time of writing this post, a week has passed you haven't even logged in to follow up...

I see that some people have apparently PM'd you, but you won't see those Private Messages ('Notifications', upper right hand corner) unless you log in.

So what's up? Are you interested in pursuing this? Please let us know...

I think this forum could benefit from a serious, open /public discussion on taking the BoA concepts to the next level, in actual practice.

I know you placed a call for Private Messaging, but the thing with forums is that they are about PUBLIC discussions/sharing. They're not Private Messaging services.

The PM feature is a nice bonus for later, more personal interactions. But it's just a nice bonus, not the main thing.

It is much better if everyone can benefit from the overall discussion. As always, some will be interested, some won't and others will add opinions and speculations.

Eventually, those who are truly interested will follow up with the open sharing of perspectives and experience.

So why don't you give it a shot?

Create your NEW practical & experience-based thread in the Practical Alchemy section , and see what happens...

Otherwise, it's just more ado about nothing, IMO.

Midas Solomon, I am officially encouraging you to follow up on your call!

+ Reply to Thread