Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Kybalion - The 7 Hermetic Principles

Blog Entries

The Kybalion - The 7 Hermetic Principles

A summary of Hermetic foundations in a book.

Based on & around 7 Hermetic Principles, which are:

1. Mentality/'Mentalism'
    2. Correspondence
    3. Vibration
    4. Rhythm
    5. Polarity
    6. Cause and Effect
    7. Gender

I'm sure many here are already familiar with this work.

For those who aren't (yet), here are a few ways to access the book:

Audiobook as YouTube Chapter Playlist (American accent) HERE.

Audiobook as one single YouTube upload of almost 4 hours (English accent) HERE.

Free PDF download HERE.

Blog Entries
    I've noticed how some parts of the 'Kybalion' perspective sit quite well with Tom Campbell's 'Virtual Reality' theory.

Otherwise, the info seems rather compromised & somewhat 'corrupted' when compared to older sources, and I personally find a lot of 'holes' in the Kybalion cheese. But it's good stuff nevertheless.

Always a good idea (IMO) to cross-reference various sources, like with all philosophinformative material of this kind...

Blog Entries
    Upon second reading, the book is deep in some aspects, but rather naive and immature in others.

There are lots of childish explanations, logical fallacies and assumptions based on the Author's personal/cultural perspective and influences (Herbert Spencer, Theosophy, some 'New Thought', etc...)

He tends to repeatedly belittle mankind/the human experience ("we poor, petty mortals" and such...) and also to prove his assumptions based on the same assumptions he is trying to prove...

IMO, this work is definitely NOT a comprehensive foundation of Hermetic Philosophy. It is full of 'bugs'.

However, gems aren't lacking either.

For alchemical practice, there are some interesting leads, especially when he describes the realm of 'Undifferentiated Matter' and the realm of the 'Spirit' as the two (touching) extremes of the continuum comprising the planes of reality.

I can see how materials like this book can lead people to believe that 'god' or 'the All' is a separate 'entity' from Creation.

This is IMO a major flaw, in both conceptualization and the reasoning used to 'support' this claim. You'll have to read/listen and decide independently...

But no rose without thorns, ey?
    Last edited by Andro; 02-14-2014 at 04:28 PM.

"the realm of 'Undifferentiated Matter'"
    This is exactly what Campbell was talking about, "the probability", undifferentiated until it is fixed.

I haven't listened or read your links yet Androgynus, but now you have my interest.

Ghislain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post
    This is exactly what Campbell was talking about, "the probability", undifferentiated until it is fixed.
    Actually, the Kybalion talks about actual (sort of) matter (not probable), but belonging to the lowest of the lowest realm (i.e. 'Tartarus'), not yet specified to anything (i.e. 'undifferentiated').

However, in the greater scheme of things (according to the Kybalion), ALL matter is 'virtual reality' (not just the undifferentiated), all being only a mental projection of 'The All'.

But I can see how the two perspectives can complement each other...

It is only 'real' when experienced from inside its own realm, i.e. 'relative'. The book makes an interesting distinction between 'real' and 'true', as in 'what's real isn't necessarily true'...

Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post
    I haven't listened or read your links yet Androgynus, but now you have my interest.
    Well my dear, I can't expect your immediate interest without a bit of foreplay

The door is opening...

Scene two...or is it?

Click on pic!

Ghislain
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

Blog Entries
    Great stuff. I welcome the VR future with open arms.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    I welcome the VR future with open arms.
    Future?

We're in 'it' already and 'always' have 'been'
    _______
    I.M.S.U.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    Based on & around 7 Hermetic Principles, which are:

1. Mentality/'Mentalism'
    2. Correspondence
    3. Vibration
    4. Rhythm
    5. Polarity
    6. Cause and Effect
    7. Gender
    It's been awhile since I've read the Kybalion, but I wonder if these correspondences make sense to anyone who has read it recently or remembers it well

Mentality - Crown 'chakra'
    Correspondence - Third Eye
    Vibration - Throat
    Rhythm - Heart
    Polarity - Solar Plexus
    Cause and Effect - Sacral
    Gender - Root
    Last edited by Kiorionis; 08-19-2015 at 11:22 PM.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    Upon second reading, the book is deep in some aspects, but rather naive and immature in others.
    Well, the book claims to have several authors. Looks like at least one of them was Paul Foster Case, a member of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn for a while, who also wrote stuff about Spiritual Alchemy and is particularly known for his important books on Tarot.

There are lots of childish explanations, logical fallacies and assumptions based on the Author's personal/cultural perspective and influences (Herbert Spencer, Theosophy, some 'New Thought', etc...)
    Surely, the book is a child of its time. And eclecticism has always been a feature of Hermetic writings.

He tends to repeatedly belittle mankind/the human experience ("we poor, petty mortals" and such...) and also to prove his assumptions based on the same assumptions he is trying to prove...

IMO, this work is definitely NOT a comprehensive foundation of Hermetic Philosophy. It is full of 'bugs'.

However, gems aren't lacking either.

For alchemical practice, there are some interesting leads, especially when he describes the realm of 'Undifferentiated Matter' and the realm of the 'Spirit' as the two (touching) extremes of the continuum comprising the planes of reality.
    Good catch. Prima materia and Ultima Materia, one might say - the latter being the Philosopher's Stone, which is a pure manifestation of Spirit. Also Chaos and Cosmos. And Mercury and Sulfur.

I can see how materials like this book can lead people to believe that 'god' or 'the All' is a separate 'entity' from Creation.

This is IMO a major flaw, in both conceptualization and the reasoning used to 'support' this claim. You'll have to read/listen and decide independently...
    Exactly my problem with the book. Maybe those statements were made in order to counteract the ego inflation that sometimes happens to folks who have glimpsed their essential divinity.

But to be fair, esoteric books from the pre-modern era were typically quite moralistic (i.e. Theosophic literature, but even some revered Alchemical texts as well as texts in the Corpus Hermeticum).

But no rose without thorns, ey?
    The reverse doesn't always equally hold true. Yes, there is a rose to behold here, even for modern eyes.

+ Reply to Thread