Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Kybalion - The 7 Hermetic Principles

Blog Entries
    I understand why you moved this to here, but now it looks like I obnoxiously replied on a thread about the Kybalion just to crap on it. I was replying to comments on "Hermeticism". The roots of Hermeticism in "Western Esotercism" actually begin before the popular translations of the Corpus Hermeticum, which are egypto-greek wisdom texts.

"Outside" of those texts, and the sources informing the "greek" aspects of those texts, is Greek philosophy and metaphysics. Metaphysical philosophy? Whatever you would categorize (neo)pythagoreanism/(neo)platonism as.

And so in terms of learning about Hermeticism, these are the primary sources. Its not judging "Greek Philosophy" as above all others. Wanna put me to sleep, just make me read up on stoicism or epicureanism or the schools of any other dozen greek philosophers.

Also, before the "new age" (which I put around 19th century) most people considered "Hermeticists" were university educated, which at the time was based on the "Greek" ideals and consisted of the subjects considered important to the Greeks. That was considered the "foundation" or prerequisite for further studies in the realms of the theological or metaphysical.

Blog Entries

Logistical Note

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Marcus View Post
    I understand why you moved this to here, but now it looks like I obnoxiously replied on a thread about the Kybalion just to crap on it. I was replying to comments on "Hermeticism".
    Thanks for pointing this out. I have inserted in your previous post the quotes that preceded it. Altogether, it's a good idea to develop discussions on the relevant threads and keep it more "light" in the Introductions section

7 principals

As I say I'm very much green at this stage but I did have a particular question to throw to the forum regarding the 7 principals.
    It seems to me that there is a good deal of overlap and that really the principals of gender, vibration, polarity and rhythm could be distilled (if you will) into just one principal.
    I might be new to alchemy but I've been thinking about Heraclitus and Flux for a good few years now.
    it's already been said that 7 might just be a nice number that was chosen (or fetishised)
    What do you guys think. are there 3 superfluous principals among the 7?

Constructing connections to artificially match the number seven have a long tradition.
    For example there were 7 wonders of the old world. On that list there were different wonders, depending on whose list you looked. But they were always 7.

In alchemy one has 3 principles and 4 elements, which together give 7.

The GuR in their 4th grade had an intresting construction too:

Daleth is the 4th character of the hebrew alphabeth and looks like this:

4 Daleths form a cross:

4x4=16

The cross(!) sum:

1 + 6 = 7

And in 7 the 3 principles and 4 elements are included.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Daleth is the 4th character of the hebrew alphabeth and looks like this:

4 Daleths form a cross:

This is probably inspired by Abraham Abulafia.

And begin by combining this name, YHWH at the beginning alone, and examine all its combinations and move it and turn it about like a wheel, front and back, like a scroll, and do not let it rest, but when you see its matter strengthened because of the great motion, because of the fear of confusion of your imagination and the rolling about of your thoughts, and when you let it rest, return to it and ask it, until there shall come to your hand a word of wisdom from it, do not abandon it.
    ‑Abulafia, Hayy6 ha‑Nefes, MS Midnchen 408, fols. 65a‑65b

"Abulafia’s method includes a number of steps. The first step, preparation: the initiate purifies himself through fasting, the wearing of phylacteries, and donning pure white garments. The second step: the mystic writes out specific letter groups and their permutations. The third step, physiological maneuvers: the mystic chants the letters in conjunction with specific respiratory patterns, as well as head positioning. The fourth step, mental imagery of letters and human forms: the mystic imagines a human form, and himself without a body. Then the mystic ‘draws’ the letters mentally, projects them onto the ‘screen’ of the ‘imaginative faculty’, i.e. he mentally imagines the patterns of letters. He then rotates the letters and turns them, as Abulafia describes in Imrei Shefer: 'And they [the letters], with their forms, are called the Clear Mirror, for all the forms having brightness and strong radiance are included in them. And one who gazes at them in their forms will discover their secrets and speak to them, and they will speak to him. And they are like an image in which a man sees all his forms standing in front of him, and then he will be able to see all the general and specific things (Ms. Paris BN 777, fol. 49).'"

I mentioned elsewhere how 6 is an upside 9, 2 and 5 are rotated.. 8 is like 2 "3s", etc. All valid "games" in these... rituals?

Three:

"The triad--3--is the first number actually odd (monad not always being considered a number). It is the first equilibrium of unities; therefore, Pythagoras said that Apollo gave oracles from a tripod, and advised offer of libation three times. The keywords to the qualities of the triad are friendship, peace, justice, prudence, piety, temperance, and virtue. The following deities partake of the principles of the triad: Saturn (ruler of time), Latona, Cornucopić, Ophion (the great serpent), Thetis, Hecate, Polyhymnia (a Muse), Pluto, Triton, President of the Sea, Tritogenia, Achelous, and the Faces, Furies, and Graces. This number is called wisdom, because men organize the present, foresee the future, and benefit by the experiences of the fast. It is cause of wisdom and understanding. The triad is the number of knowledge--music, geometry, and astronomy, and the science of the celestials and terrestrials. Pythagoras taught that the cube of this number had the power of the lunar circle."
    Four:

"Pythagoras maintained that the soul of man consists of a tetrad, the four powers of the soul being mind, science, opinion, and sense. The tetrad connects all beings, elements, numbers, and seasons; nor can anything be named which does not depend upon the tetractys. It is the Cause and Maker of all things, the intelligible God, Author of celestial and sensible good, Plutarch interprets this tetractys, which he said was also called the world, to be 36, consisting of the first four odd numbers added to the first four even numbers"
    Three:

Trivium - grammar, logic, and rhetoric

Four:

Quadrivium - arithmetic, geometry, music and astronomy

Three - Triangle, Four - Square

Hermeticism is concerned with correspondences in a pretty major way. Combining... comparing and contrasting different symbols or ideas to come to a greater understanding of each. Playing these games also trains the mind in a certain way. Connected to this is etymology.. finding the roots of certain words, their history and evolution of their meanings.. all possible meanings.
    Last edited by Greg Marcus; 04-27-2019 at 02:04 PM.

+ Reply to Thread