Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Alchemy and Megalomania

Blog Entries

Alchemy and Megalomania

In the past, present and most probably in the future we will have, and have had, people here in the forums that suffer from megalomania. People who say they are Masters, Adepts or have the 100% truth in their possession - and everyone else is wrong.

What I, personally, have discovered studying alchemy is humility and open-mindedness. The deeper I go the less of a Master I feel I need to be. Master status is for shallow and ridiculous people. If you need the verification of OTHER people you don't, by instant default, deserve any respect or reverence at all. IMO.

For arguments sake here is an example from this website: http://www.alchemy.ws

Alchemy.ws is the only source of true information about alchemy that exists in the world. This is a site for honest, genuine seekers of nature's secrets. Everyone else please go away.
    I don't know about ya'll, but reading this my first gut feeling was to GO AWAY... far away. Which I did.

Question: it seems to me alchemy attracts megalomaniacs and why is that (or is this a trait that all kinds of areas/movements/subject suffer from eventually)?

Disclaimer: this thread is not about any certain individuals or websites... the one I used above was just an example.
    Last edited by Awani; 02-17-2014 at 05:19 PM.
    Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    What I, personally, have discovered studying alchemy is humility and open-mindedness. The deeper I go the less of a Master I feel I need to be. Master status is for shallow and ridiculous people. If you need the verification of OTHER people you don't, by instant default, deserve any respect or reverence at all. IMO.

For arguments sake here is an example from this website: http://www.alchemy.ws
    Not too surprising! That site seems to belong to the egotistical author of "The Book of Aquarius", who has never made the Stone, but who already seems to consider himself a true Master. (He admits on the site to being the author).

There are more and more lonely people on this planet, feeling more and more dissociated from society. This is likely their pathetic attempt to become that "special" person they crave to be, now that they can communicate anonymously world-wide through the net. Before they were nothing. Now they have 'followers" praising them and making them feel special. Alchemy and other esoteric and New Age interests are huge attractors for these lonely types. I've seen this time and time again. It works great for them, but is a poison to the naive followers.

Blog Entries
    You might be right. Digital Messiah syndrome!

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Digital Messiah syndrome!
    I like that phrase - very appropriate!

Interesting related article (just substitute "Messiah" with "Master" or "Self-Acclaimed Adept":

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/mi...netearth57.htm

Blog Entries
    Messiah complex is common with people who have had a big emotional breakthrough with ayahuasca. They (myself included) can feel like they have to convert the whole world. They want everyone to experience what they have experienced... it is very easy to fall into Messianic or Preachy behavior. But after a while, for most people, the dust settles and one realizes that you can't bring peace, enlightenment or wisdom to other people. They can only do that to themselves.

The only thing you can do is be a good signpost. And which signpost would you follow? One that says "try this path, I had a very good time over there" or one that says "follow me, this path is the truth and I am your leader".

I know my choice.

And which signpost would you follow? One that says "try this path, I had a very good time over there" or one that says "follow me, this path is the truth and I am your leader".
    I think that interaction is essential for any type of learning. I find the best people to interact with are those who are filled with passion for the wonders of this world, are truly open-minded, are humble, and are creative. I think that most of us have different important snippets of the truth, based on a unique individual lifetime of experience and learning and that we are meant to share these pieces to build a puzzle together.

I guess that makes me unique, from a long line of nobodies.

Blog Entries
    Even the Messiah was tested by a messiah complex I think it's an integral part of the path. It's easier to notice those who "fail" the test than those who pass.
    http://serpentrioarquila.blogspot.com/

"To conjure is nothing else than to observe anything rightly, to know and understand what it is." - Paracelsus

"Why, then, don't you act when you see the danger of your conditioning? The answer is you don't see... seeing is acting." J. Krishnamurti

Messiah complex is common with people who have had a big emotional breakthrough with ayahuasca.
    But the world would be so much more boring without the likes of David Icke..

Any contact with expanded consciousness will enthuse and temporary instability is to be expected and tolerated in another seeker - "This will make him, in the early stages, fanatical to a degree. He will be continually swept off his feet with new ideals, new isms, new modes of living, new dreams for race betterment. He will take up one cult after another as they seem to make possible the coming millennium. But after a time he regains his poise, and purpose assumes control of his life. He works at his own job, and carries forward his contribution to the activity of the whole, to the best of his ability." - A Treatise on White Magic (1951)

Sometimes wonder what could warrant a messiah complex - how can one not be humbled when comparing your "discoveries, insights, creations" against those of a Da Vinci, Beethoven, Shakespeare, Tesla etc. Maybe lack of subtlety is the mark of a messiah complex, where true Masters brilliantly veil Truth so as not to overpower and destabilise the seeker.

+ Reply to Thread