Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Book Binding

Book Binding

As I have begun my study of the art I've noticed a few things. The most important of which (from the stance of one trying to study as much as possible) is that I can't read from a computer screen for hours on end as I can with a physical book. While a do have an eReader (a Nook) I thought it would be fun to physically print and bind some of the pdfs from the RAMS collection. Anyone else have any experience in this?

Will update with pictures as this small project progresses.

Blog Entries
    I did print several RAMS books in order to read them and to take notes directly on the paper ... and it takes an enormous space.
    Salazius

http://dartigne.blogspot.com/

My Works

"I want to transmute everywhere" ~ The Spirit of Alchemy.

I did print several RAMS books in order to read them and to take notes directly on the paper ... and it takes an enormous space.
    Not to mention the trees...but I have to agree with Leon Corlew there is nothing as good as a physical book in your hands...I wonder why?

I have a tablet too and although I read from it quite a bit, something is missing.

Ghislain

I also am unable to read books online, and have a Kindle which I almost never use. I have printed out some of the RAMS books in the past (double-sided) but they do take up a lot of space. I use those plastic combs to bind the books as well, which takes up even more space, and sometimes causes the books to bind. Having paper print-outs also allows you to do highlighting and make notes.

This is the very thing that brought me to binding books, my current proffesion. It s one of the most noble crafts I could think of, and the satisfactions abound. If I can help with any advices or tips on how to bind your own books, I will certainly do my best. I m all for sharing knowledge freely if time permits me.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelis Vallachus View Post
    This is the very thing that brought me to binding books, my current proffesion. It s one of the most noble crafts I could think of, and the satisfactions abound. If I can help with any advices or tips on how to bind your own books, I will certainly do my best. I m all for sharing knowledge freely if time permits me.
    I would like an advice which is slightly off topic: What do you recommend to PRESERVE old books and keep them in good conditions?

(i.e, how to properly clean different types of covers, if there's something that is good to do to the old yellowish pages, etc).

Any tips are welcome!!!

Zoas, your question is very complex, like me asking Hey any tips on how to do Alchemy?
    Every type of paper, leather, cloth, gilding and other material has it s own regimen, it s own history and it s own enemies.
    These are rather general:
    -keep them away from light
    -keep them away from smoke
    -keep them in a constant temperature as much as possible
    -keep them away from untouched places where vermin might nest.
    -dust them
    -keep them away from himidity
    -put mold infested books aside and do not mingle them with healthy books.
    -read em!
    -keep them away from assholes who treat them improperly

Aaand you re set for a few centuries more

Zoas, your question is very complex, like me asking Hey any tips on how to do Alchemy?
    Every type of paper, leather, cloth, gilding and other material has it s own regimen, it s own history and it s own enemies.
    These are rather general:
    -keep them away from light
    -keep them away from smoke
    -keep them in a constant temperature as much as possible
    -keep them away from untouched places where vermin might nest.
    -dust them
    -keep them away from himidity
    -put mold infested books aside and do not mingle them with healthy books.
    -read em!
    -keep them away from assholes who treat them improperly

Aaand you re set for a few centuries more
    Thank you!

I already did some tricks, but I don't know if they are profanities.... a lot of my softcover books are covered with a transparent sticker whose name in my country is "contact", but it's not an international brand (I assume): it's simply a huge transparent sticker that you cut to the size of the book, in most cases used by the parents of the little kids to protect the books they use at school.

Whilst my hardcover books...

The ones which have a non-absorbent surface: I cleaned them with a protective silicone that is used to clean and protect cars... !

the ones which have an absorbent surface: I cleaned them with transparent shoe polishing cream.

(They all look as if they were new, but I don't know if it was a good idea in the long term).

when we say old books, we generally think older than 150 years. On modern books, other methods apply. On contemporary books, others.
    Anything made from woodpulp paper is doomed to become fail and cruple away in a few years, and nothing can be done about that, other than digitisation.

Blog Entries
    Hey all,

Anything made from woodpulp paper is doomed to become fail and cruple away in a few years
    Curious. What type of paper would you recommend for the best preservation of a book?
    Last edited by Kiorionis; 10-12-2016 at 11:59 AM.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

+ Reply to Thread