Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Book Binding

Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    Hey all,

Curuous. What type of paper would you recommend for the best preservation of a book?
    Exactly the same thing I was going to ask... a lot of books are promoted nowadays as being made with "acid free paper", suggesting that it's better... and I looked in wikipedia and found this information, which is useful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid-free_paper

But since we have an expert in the room... I'd love to hear an explanation of the different types of paper (just the main ones) and their advantages and disadvantages (I assume there's hundreds of types of papers, so I am only asking about the most typical ones).

The best paper for books you read and use IS 80-100g white woodpulp paper. It will las your whole life, but will decay. And lets be serious, most of our children and nephews and nieces will not be interested in alchemy. Those are for your use.

The best paper for a very important work that is meant to last for centuries, bound in vegetable tanned leather, would be rag paper, made from cotton, just like any of the old books that were printed in the old days. That s supposed to be printed upon and sized with gelatin, then pressed, it will most likely look like blotting paper and jamm in your printer or cause someone at Kinko s top lose their job.

The middle path is acid free paper, which will last longer than a few generations of course, just enough for the right people to use and admire your books.
    However, it s a bit pricey. I see people who do either alchemy or magic who would like to invest diddly squat, maybe even be paid by someone else to do it.

To love something is to invest in it. I ve held my passion for alchemy at bay until I was successuful enough to afford a good space to work in, not my cubbard, and real quality flasks, not tequila bottles, and it is worth the wait and maturisation.

The same with printing your books. Acid free paper might be moderate-to-pricey when doing your very own alchemical journal, but if you want to print out the entire RAMS archive, it might cost you a kidney or something.

I d recmmend chosing your texts carefully, deciding for whose use you intend them, then invest what you can afford over a longer period of time in them.
    I tought myself bookbinding precisely for that, and now my unique, privately printed, hand sewn, leatherbound book collection is growing.

That s kinda gold out of nothing. I would ve needed to be filthy rich to order such a collection.

Thanks a lot for your explanation!

Other than that, it's always a pleasure for me to speak to someone who has a very specific passion and a vast knowledge on the area (the material aspect of the books in your case). Quite often it does not matter WHAT this passion is. It can be Chinese Pottery, an enthusiast of an author who even knows which one was his shoe size, an expert in the art of Bonsais, a calligrapher with a vast knowledge on the history of calligraphy (Hahaha... they seem to be random examples, but I'm mentioning the specific areas of interest of some of my closest friends). I love the delicacy of that kind of knowledge, that kind of very specific knowledge.

I will have to tie my fingers or I will keep on asking questions, just for the pleasure of reading your answers.

Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    Thanks a lot for your explanation!

Other than that, it's always a pleasure for me to speak to someone who has a very specific passion and a vast knowledge on the area (the material aspect of the books in your case). Quite often it does not matter WHAT this passion is. It can be Chinese Pottery, an enthusiast of an author who even knows which one was his shoe size, an expert in the art of Bonsais, a calligrapher with a vast knowledge on the history of calligraphy (Hahaha... they seem to be random examples, but I'm mentioning the specific areas of interest of some of my closest friends). I love the delicacy of that kind of knowledge, that kind of very specific knowledge.

I will have to tie my fingers or I will keep on asking questions, just for the pleasure of reading your answers.
    I know exactly what you mean, I could listen to craftsmen explain their craft for hours and watch yt vids of it, just to absorb the infrmation and see that twinkle in their eyes when they detail their art, because you know they do it out of love. I can t get enough of it.

And thank you for the kind words, I ll make every effort to make my answers interesting and not sound like a huge knowitall.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Corlew View Post
    As I have begun my study of the art I've noticed a few things. The most important of which (from the stance of one trying to study as much as possible) is that I can't read from a computer screen for hours on end as I can with a physical book. While a do have an eReader (a Nook) I thought it would be fun to physically print and bind some of the pdfs from the RAMS collection. Anyone else have any experience in this?
    FedEx/Kinkos has this paper for $15, which I print on with this fantastic $60 laser printer from Newegg, then 3-hole punch, and finally tie twine through to bind the "book".

This works for me well.

Last edited by Schmuldvich; 10-12-2016 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Added pictures

+ Reply to Thread