Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help with Beginning Theurgy?

An excellent book is 'The Natural Bliss of Being' by Jackson Peterson. The author has studied with eastern masters and sufis but also mentions that there are similar practices that are done in orthodox christianity to attain the rainbow body. He gives clear instructions for energy based practices coupled with meditative and contemplation techniques in the book. He also has several facebook groups where he teaches students e.g. dzogchen discussion, dzogchen trekchod, transparent being and some more. On youtube there are also several videos from a recent teaching retreat on his channel.
    “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    You can also work with the Franz Bardon's books. Rawn Clark commentaries too on FBardon books.

You can read "Modern Magick" of the late Michael Kraig.

All the Denning & Phillips books on Aurum Solis are also excellent.
    Salazius

http://dartigne.blogspot.com/

My Works

"I want to transmute everywhere" ~ The Spirit of Alchemy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kerkring View Post
    An excellent book is 'The Natural Bliss of Being' by Jackson Peterson. The author has studied with eastern masters and sufis but also mentions that there are similar practices that are done in orthodox christianity to attain the rainbow body. He gives clear instructions for energy based practices coupled with meditative and contemplation techniques in the book. He also has several facebook groups where he teaches students e.g. dzogchen discussion, dzogchen trekchod, transparent being and some more. On youtube there are also several videos from a recent teaching retreat on his channel.
    Thanks!

I watched the videos and I am familiar with the presented concepts & some of the practices, but I feel the videos are barely scratching the surface...

I am quite interested in this. If you are practicing - do you feel that his materials have benefited you significantly, in terms of noticeable effects? (physical, mental, etc...)

I also find some similarities with what I posted in the 'Origin' series I recently started on the Spiritus Mundi thread, like HERE and HERE.

An emphasis on attempted 'Being' and Primordial 'Emptiness' seems to be a common trait in many traditions.
    Last edited by Andro; 04-25-2014 at 06:12 PM.

I had already used another energybased system before I discovered his material. But i have used some of the other methods such as gazing at the sky or empty space but i have not been doing these for very long so far, although the other energybased stuff and other kinds of meditation have helped me significantly. What Peterson teaches is very similar to what other teachers who are the real deal teach, such as Namkhai Norbu and Tenzin Wangyal in their books such as 'The Crystal and the Way of Light' and 'Wonders of the Natural Mind'. That these paths work has been quite well established, e.g. many accounts of succesfull rainbow body attainments where the practitioner's body dissolves into light. In books by a respected spiritualist source, White Eagle, it is communicated that Jesus and his disciple John also had this kind of attainment (body of light) and the way their meditating is described also hints at the kind of dzogchen approach that Peterson and the tibetans I mentioned use. This was in the books 'Lightbringer' and then a book on the gospel of St John by White Eagle. Peterson also discusses the rainbow body at the end of his book and he also gives energybased practices to awaken the Kundalini which will make it a lot easier to access these states and awarenesses and which will also make them stronger.
    So there is considerable hard evidence that these methods really work and that similar things were also used by more western masters like St John, contrary to some of the western books on magic about which we can' t be this certain.
    Another, western theurgic school (thedivinescience) only recommends Bardon's book 'Initiation into Hermetics' for outsiders.
    Peterson's book is on kindle too.
    Last edited by kerkring; 04-26-2014 at 07:45 AM.
    “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Here's a video/'documentary', titled 'Magick of Solomon'.

It's a bit over-dramatic and a bit 'pop', but for someone with an interest (or just getting started), it conveys a few (IMO) significant principles, linking ceremonial magic to the internal mental nature of the Subjectively Knowable Creation, with a nice touch connecting Ancient Hermetic Psychology with its more recent (and more 'diluted') incarnations. Western ceremonial magic is not necessarily my thing, but I found this video and thought it may serve as a partial introduction to some of the principles involved. Anyone with actual experience in this area is most welcome to correct any errors in the information presented in the video.

Oh, BTW, if anyone has a particular interest in magical Black Mirrors/Speculums such as mentioned in the video, you can probably PM Salazius - he has good info, as he also makes them himself.

I'm also sure there are many other sources for 'artifacts' to be used in ceremonial magic, I just don't know any of them...

------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Andro; 01-05-2015 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Broken video link replaced.

Even at this late date, I'd like to modify my position. I am reading a book about the late Neoplatonic philosopher Iamblichus, Living Theurgy: A Course in Iamblichus' Philosophy, Theology and Theurgy who held theurgy to be superior to contemplation, relegating contemplation to purification, a lesser process. I realize that I am more of a Neoplatonist after Plotinus (and apparently Proclus) than Iamblichsu, but I digress.

Theurgy differs from magick inasmuch as Divinity is relied upon using sanctified or symbolic ritual items, and perhaps words or hymns, but magick, Iamblichsu considers to be a primarily human "techne," and does not participate in the Divine. Of course, it is markedly different from thaumaturgy or sorcery, which seem to operate on entities below human spiritual development, and should not be trifled with.

My impromptu Alchemical Marriage ritual of 11/11/11 at 11:11:11 a.m. set was the only thing that was not impromptu - the date. And it took place before a statue (unconsecrated) of Thoth, 2 goblets of red and white wine, and the substances Sulphur, Salt and Mercury. Now, some 7 years before this date, when the statue arrived at my door, a Synchronicity occurred in that I saw for the first time in the 8 years I had lived here, 5 ibises sat in a tree above where the statue sat in a UPS parcel! On the morning of our wedding, 9 (an Ennead) ibises gathered outside our front door! It was the 2nd time that I had seen ibises on my property (which is not to say they'd never been there before, but 'I' was not there). To us, the Synchronicity was connected to all of the events including the alchemical motif. Our wedding vow was to take turns reading The Emerald Tablet!

Unlike magick, this ritual was not intended to effect activities on the physical plane, either to attract fortune, to prognosticate about the future, or divine the whereabouts of treasure, or any such earthly concern. It was intended to draw the both of us into a Marriage of Heaven & Earth, of Sun & Moon, manifested on Earth, that Body-Soul-Spirit Union (Salt-Sulphur-Mercury). It's symbols were alchemical, but its nature was Theurgical. Enough of human will was involved that the act could be said to be of High or Transcendental Magick, much like the rite of the Eucharist in high church traditions, but the emphasis was on Divinity rather than human machination, Iamblichus' "techne."

Last edited by MarkostheGnostic; 01-05-2015 at 01:12 AM.
    γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Sauton - Know Thyself

Quote Originally Posted by MarkostheGnostic View Post
    Even at this late date, I'd like to modify my position. I am reading a book about the late Neoplatonic philosopher Iamblichus, Living Theurgy: A Course in Iamblichus' Philosophy, Theology and Theurgy who held theurgy to be superior to contemplation, relegating contemplation to purification, a lesser process. I realize that I am more of a Neoplatonist after Plotinus (and apparently Proclus) than Iamblichsu, but I digress.

Theurgy differs from magick inasmuch as Divinity is relied upon using sanctified or symbolic ritual items, and perhaps words or hymns, but magick, Iamblichsu considers to be a primarily human "techne," and does not participate in the Divine. Of course, it is markedly different from thaumaturgy or sorcery, which seem to operate on entities below human spiritual development, and should not be trifled with.

My impromptu Alchemical Marriage ritual of 11/11/11 at 11:11:11 a.m. set was the only thing that was not impromptu - the date. And it took place before a statue (unconsecrated) of Thoth, 2 goblets of red and white wine, and the substances Sulphur, Salt and Mercury. Now, some 7 years before this date, when the statue arrived at my door, a Synchronicity occurred in that I saw for the first time in the 8 years I had lived here, 5 ibises sat in a tree above where the statue sat in a UPS parcel! On the morning of our wedding, 9 (an Ennead) ibises gathered outside our front door! It was the 2nd time that I had seen ibises on my property (which is not to say they'd never been there before, but 'I' was not there). To us, the Synchronicity was connected to all of the events including the alchemical motif. Our wedding vow was to take turns reading The Emerald Tablet!

Unlike magick, this ritual was not intended to effect activities on the physical plane, either to attract fortune, to prognosticate about the future, or divine the whereabouts of treasure, or any such earthly concern. It was intended to draw the both of us into a Marriage of Heaven & Earth, of Sun & Moon, manifested on Earth, that Body-Soul-Spirit Union (Salt-Sulphur-Mercury). It's symbols were alchemical, but its nature was Theurgical. Enough of human will was involved that the act could be said to be of High or Transcendental Magick, much like the rite of the Eucharist in high church traditions, but the emphasis was on Divinity rather than human machination, Iamblichus' "techne."

hey markos ,

if you are a serious student of plotinus , then i would recommend reading plato and dispensing with "magick" and its related baggage

plotinus is about attaining union with the one true god and not gaining occult knowlege or powers

a quick primer on plotinus' philosophy which is very informative is PORPHRY'S LAUNCHING POINTS TO THE REALM OF MIND

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bleeding yolk View Post
    If you are a serious student of Plotinus, then i would recommend reading Plato and dispensing with "magick" and its related baggage.
    Plotinus is about attaining union with the one true god and not gaining occult knowledge or powers.
    A quick primer on Plotinus' philosophy which is very informative is PORPHRY'S LAUNCHING POINTS TO THE REALM OF MIND
    Thanks for bringing it up!

This book has been on my to-get list for a while, and the 'Union' you mention is indeed IMO the 'worthiest goal', although 'goal' is still somewhat of a misnomer...

Quoth David Chaim Smith:

Even if salvation were possible, a true gnostic would have no need of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    Thanks for bringing it up!

This book has been on my to-get list for a while, and the 'Union' you mention is indeed IMO the 'worthiest goal', although 'goal' is still somewhat of a misnomer...

Quoth David Chaim Smith:

hey androgynicus ,

of course all of these terms are only approximations which often get confused in the course of things by virtue of the fact that a word can only give a rough description

subjective experience is indeed what is necessary

so in reference to 'union , goal , salvation , gnostic' etc . i can only try to use them in the sense in which they 're accepted in practice

ultimately THERE ARE NO WORDS

p.s. the book is very brief , yet dense , almost more of a pamphlet , highly recommended though
    Last edited by bleeding yolk; 01-05-2015 at 01:44 PM. Reason: grammar

As I endeavored to explain, theurgy is not magick, and when I assembled the ritual for our marriage, Union was the goal, not "powers" (siddhis). I received a tutorial in The Enneads and in comparison, The Mystical Theology of Dionysius the Areopagite (6th c.) by the recently deceased theologian, David G. Leahy (Novitas Mundi). That was 1975. I've learned to process all that in the time since then. I have read Prophyry's biography of Plotinus, but thanks for the recommendation.

As a matter of fact, I purchased The Collected Works of Plato a few years ago for retirement, and retirement has been upon me since June 2013. Still reading Sheldrake's Morphic Resonance, read JFK and the Unspeakable ('cause a friend insisted and loaned it to me), reading The New Primal Therapy by Janov, and have yet to open Dark Sun: The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb by Rhodes. Also, it seems that I've owned Neoplatonism by R.T. Wallis for years, and only began to read it, so here's another unread book saved for NOW.
    γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Sauton - Know Thyself

+ Reply to Thread