Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: NEW Translation: Thirteen Secret Letters

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    It's in R.A.M.S. (under Glauber, there is a lot of his stuff there, you'll have to search for it...)

It's also been brought up here on Alchemy Forums before, if you can locate the thread.
    OK, thanks, I'll look for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    I have right now indian alchemy on my desk - a similar approach but for me extremely hard to grasp due to language barriers. what little I get supports this theory, that the person doing the process is the major issue, not only the substance. Chinese sources point in similar directions. However, what extactly the "state of mind" or rather consciousness has to be eludes me still.
    Hi sam,
    Are these Chinese sources by any chance texts on Neidan?

Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    Next year, a friend, with my help, will be publishing an English translation of the important "Les Recreations Hermetiques & Scholies" that Fulcanelli often referenced, along with some other important transcriptions.
    I look forward to purchasing this translation
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    Next year, a friend, with my help, will be publishing an English translation of the important "Les Recreations Hermetiques & Scholies" that Fulcanelli often referenced, along with some other important transcriptions.
    looking forward to that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    Hi sam,
    Are these Chinese sources by any chance texts on Neidan?
    The chinese are quoted in the indian text I am reading, it is basically an etymological study with very little lab applicable content. The author tries to pin down the sources of alchemy worldwide by tracking the words used most in its context. He is of the opinion it first appeard in china, then moved to india, from there to alexandria entering the greek and roman worlds. he is also of the opinion that the rejuvenating aspect was the most sought after, gold-makinng only secondary. funny enough the most often in contemporary western literature cited enligthening aspect play a relatively small role. for that other practices are used (with the exception of siddhas and their connection to alchemy). for him herbal alchemy is the root of all, we would call that spagyrics I asume.

Indian alchemy or rasayana in the light of asceticism and geriatrics by s. mahdihassan
    Last edited by sam; 11-18-2014 at 07:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    Interesting, thanks for the information.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Sam for all these efforts to make a good translation. Very few of us here can read german, and it is greatly appreciated.
    Salazius

http://dartigne.blogspot.com/

My Works

"I want to transmute everywhere" ~ The Spirit of Alchemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Salazius View Post
    Thank you Sam for all these efforts to make a good translation. Very few of us here can read german, and it is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you, and a big thanx to everybody who supports our work by purchasing the book from LULU.
    There are some wild stories running around some of the less experienced (to put it mildly) alchemy forums - basically blaming me for "making a profit".
    For those people I have to say two things:
    One: if I actually would make a profit for the very intense work of translating such an ancient text I would be well within my comfort zone.
    Two: HOWEVER as is looks in reality I am far off from making such, in fact this book likely is going to be a loss.
    I am making around 9 bucks per book sold. I have paid $200 for the editor/layouter who transferred the word document into a readable book (with InDesign which I dont own nor know how to use), then $100,- for the cover design (I am not a graphics designer and I hate bookcovers that look ugly) and finally 80€ for the transcription from Fraktur (which I can read but I hate the typing). Thats about 400 bucks. From the 9 bucks I make per book the US federal government keeps 3 (LULU witholds 30% for taxation purposes because I am not an American citizen). So far 25 books have been sold and I dont expect it to be many more in the forseeable future. My guestimate is a whooping $250 LOSS on this project. The "Naturweg" was a slight profit, but not nearly enough to make up for this loss. So evidently this will be the last book ever published by me (or rather us). And I dont even account for the pirating via upload of scaned copies to "filesharers".
    Happy now?

Thank you, and a big thanx to everybody who supports our work by purchasing the book from LULU.
    There are some wild stories running around some of the less experienced (to put it mildly) alchemy forums - basically blaming me for "making a profit".
    For those people I have to say two things:
    One: if I actually would make a profit for the very intense work of translating such an ancient text I would be well within my comfort zone.
    Two: HOWEVER as is looks in reality I am far off from making such, in fact this book likely is going to be a loss.
    I am making around 9 bucks per book sold. I have paid $200 for the editor/layouter who transferred the word document into a readable book (with InDesign which I dont own nor know how to use), then $100,- for the cover design (I am not a graphics designer and I hate bookcovers that look ugly) and finally 80€ for the transcription from Fraktur (which I can read but I hate the typing). Thats about 400 bucks. From the 9 bucks I make per book the US federal government keeps 3 (LULU witholds 30% for taxation purposes because I am not an American citizen). So far 25 books have been sold and I dont expect it to be many more in the forseeable future. My guestimate is a whooping $250 LOSS on this project. The "Naturweg" was a slight profit, but not nearly enough to make up for this loss. So evidently this will be the last book ever published by me (or rather us). And I dont even account for the pirating via upload of scaned copies to "filesharers".
    Happy now?

Money and time are both stretched a bit thin at the moment for me - however i just purchased your translation through LULU after reading the preview.

From what little i gleamed in the preview, its following a train of thought of my current research and experimenting, so i believe it'll be well worth the price of the book. I also wanted to thank you for translating it as well as you have and that, all thieves and ass holes aside, i hope you continue your translation work as it is greatly appreciated.

IF its possible, and i can only speak by my experience with providing a service (not the same kind), that it is indeed a financial loss, but can be a gain in other areas, and should be looked at as a passion or hobby or simply a service to the Arcane Community.
    (Not trying to compare apples to oranges, but the site i run, is done so out of pocket - and ive gone well over $300-400, with nothing to market... its literally a black hole for some of my finances, but its fun and I like it, and I like the little tight-knit community im fostering to grow. I would imagine you do enjoy translating and getting the good feedback, and the networking with like-minded and appreciative people, so while the money is a loss, there is a type of gain also.)

I hope that comes across as the encouraging and supportive post i intended it to be. (im becoming sleep deprived at the moment, so... not sure how im sounding. XD lol)

Anyway, thank you sam, and if its possible, i do hope you can keep it up.

~Seth-Ra / Jessie
    One fatal tree there stands of knowledge called, forbidden them to taste. Knowledge forbidden? Suspicious. Reasonless. And why should their Lord envy them that? Can it be sin to know? Can it be death? And do they stand by ignorance, is that their happy state, the proof of their obedience and their faith?

Blog Entries
    So evidently this will be the last book ever published by me (or rather us).
    If whatever you are doing is making a profit it is most likely shit... there are exceptions, but when it comes to good art (IMO) this rule generally applies. You see the masses have really bad taste.

Last edited by Awani; 12-17-2014 at 09:35 AM.
    Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Very good job Sam.
    Thank you for this translation.

+ Reply to Thread