Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: NEW Translation: Thirteen Secret Letters

Check out this crowdfunding website...
    https://www.kickstarter.com/

There are some ridiculous projects that get thousands in funding from random people. Some people browse the projects just looking for something to fund. You might be able to attract some newcomers to alchemy through such a site.

What are the other books you have published? I already have Old and True Natural Path and just bought your newest one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    If these letters are based on genuine alchemical knowledge, then these letters provide some very good clues as to the nature of the matter. I hope that others who have read these letters will join in a discussion of what this matter may actually be.

Remember, that without the right starting matter, all else is in vain, and you could spend the rest of your life getting nowhere (as so many have done). It's about time that a concerted effort is made to discover this so-called "Antimony" (no, it's definitely not common Antimony). These letters are a great place to start.

To continue this discussion, Sam, why do you think the authors meant "copperas extracted from marcasite"?

Illen
    I am in the process of reading the translation, and it is quite difficult not to conclude that the author/s is/are definitely hinting at either marcasites or pyrites of some kind. It is even clearly pointed out several times in these letters that the mineral being referred to is found among coals, or that it is hard and if struck (with iron/steel) can be used to make fire (with the sparks that fly off; old guns like wheellocks used this property of pyrites & iron to generate sparks and then ignite the gunpowder charge), which are things that mineralogists know very well regarding these minerals:

https://books.google.com/books?id=MX...&q=198&f=false

See page 198.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendritic Xylem View Post
    I will, thanx for the input.

What are the other books you have published? I already have Old and True Natural Path and just bought your newest one as well.
    those are not related to alchemy, although my book on ormus in the broadest sense may. but that was a translation from english to german :-)

I would like to translate von Bernus, a relatively unknown German adept of the 20th century. that may be a good crowdfunding project.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    By the way, since you are interested in this 18th century "Secret Letters" book and its "vitriol-from-marcasites/pyrites" claims that you took the trouble of translating it, you probably should also be interested in a late 18th century anonymous German work called "The Triumphal Chariot of Vitriol" (obviously the anonymous author got inspired by the title of Basil Valentine's famous text on antimony.) I have a translation (because I actually paid for it to have it translated by a German translator I know) of the second part of the text (which contains the experimental descriptions) but I don't have a translation of the first part, which contains a discourse on "vitriols".

By comparing all these descriptions of distilling "vitriol" found in texts like these, I really wonder what exactly can these guys have possibly meant by "vitriol", because obviously the sulfate of iron or any other metal will not do the things that they describe during its distillation. One only has to compare the standard descriptions of the distillation of vitriols in chymical texts like those of Glaser, Lemery or even Kunckel (who was an stout defender of alchemy and transmutation, unlike Glaser and Lemery) and compare it with the strange descriptions found in texts like the "Thirteen Secret Letters" or "The Triumphal Chariot of Vitriol" to plainly see that they can't possibly be describing a distillation of any plain metallic sulfate. What is observed during the distillation and the final products obtained are simply not the same as the operation with plain metallic sulfates. So obviously there must be some sort of "trap" here. Either the substance they are misleadingly claiming is a "vitriol" is actually something else totally different, or if it is a metallic vitriol then obviously they did something to it that they are omitting to point out.
    if you are willing to share the translated part I would be very interested to know how good this translation is as I have often considered paying for the work but then declined because a regular translator that I can actually pay (not too expensive) will usually be clueless about alchemy. This work requires quite some insight into the matter to not let complete rubbish be the result on the other end

you could upload it or email it to me with the german original if available. who knows, maybe I take a shot at translating the missing part.
    I'll pm you may email if you are so inclined.

I have also requested clearance of publishing some of our lab results. It may take while for that to come forward, if ever. will let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    if you are willing to share the translated part I would be very interested to know how good this translation is as I have often considered paying for the work but then declined because a regular translator that I can actually pay (not too expensive) will usually be clueless about alchemy. This work requires quite some insight into the matter to not let complete rubbish be the result on the other end

you could upload it or email it to me with the german original if available. who knows, maybe I take a shot at translating the missing part.
    I'll pm you may email if you are so inclined.

I have also requested clearance of publishing some of our lab results. It may take while for that to come forward, if ever. will let you know.

The German translator supplies the knowledge of the language, I am the one who supplies the familiarity with alchemy/chymistry to correct as many unclear words or passages as possible. As you know, no one translation is flawless, your "Secret Letters" translation has its share of not so clear parts/words, but sometimes it just does not seem possible to give a fully satisfactory rendering of a particularly obscure word or passage in these old books.

I can send you a couple of the translated chapters and the corresponding original German, so you can be the judge of how well the translation of the second part of the book turned out. PM me your email.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    The German translator supplies the knowledge of the language, I am the one who supplies the familiarity with alchemy/chymistry to correct as many unclear words or passages as possible.
    That sounds very work-intensive. I have to refer to previous parts often to grasp parts that are unclear- some parts remain unclear even to a German WITH some alchemical knowledge, partly because the old language is different but often because the author has chosen to write it unclear on purpose (or so it seems).

In any case I pm-ed you, awaiting the excerpts

Quote Originally Posted by Dendritic Xylem View Post
    and there it ends:

* Project creation is currently open to creators in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and Ireland

however, it seems to make little sense to crowdfund an ENGLISH translation of a German book in Germany. So a US citizen or British or Australian should do it and if successful transfer the funds to the translator.
    Last edited by sam; 01-01-2015 at 06:53 AM.

There are many other sites similar to kickstarter. I haven't looked through them though.

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/crowdfunding-sites/

The lab responded rather unexpectedly generous and timely. So I am happy to have this compressed version of the path we take written up by the actual lab technician who oversees the process.
    Some details are left out but no false information is given. However, as of now there will be no further discussion I was told.

---------------------------

The paths of Cyliani, Fulcanelli, I.C.H., Thirteen Letters, and perhaps Philalethes definitely require a mineral ore as our starting subject. If they didn’t, these sources wouldn’t go to such great lengths to speak of its qualities, origins, properties, and products.

As Sendivogius explained, the Spiritus Mundi condenses as dew from the heavens and falls to the ground, penetrating the ground, and according to the old conception it eventually turns into mineral form upon interacting with impurities and vapors rising from the bowels of the earth. Hence certain ores or minerals, some more than others, are crystallizations of the universal spirit, and hence it can be more easily found in the more suitable ones. Hence, the proper matter will yield more of what we need than other substances.

Fulcanelli and the Thirteen Letters claim the subject is iron pyrite, or better, its pseudomorph marcasite. If you know anything about marcasite, it breaks down rather easily and is known to be fragile, spontaneously turning to powder in specimen collections after a period of time. This is advantageous to us. Regular pyrite, depending on its semi conductive properties, which depends on its impurities, which depends on the mine and location within the mine, is much less susceptible to decomposition, hence harder to work with. Fulcanelli complained as much.

These sources go on to describe its physical characteristics, all of which match that of pyrite/marcasite in its various manifestations. It bears the mark of light, the X, the cat whiskers, the signature of radiance. And Fulcanelli emphasized strongly how iron has an affinity for gold, and that it contains a very good sulfur for the Work. Further, from a strictly chemical viewpoint, iron / sulfur / oxygen / water in various permutations form numerous compounds whose colors, odors, and textures fit those described in these texts.

Grinding this mineral to powder and exposing to nocturnal dew and lunar radiations is one way to accelerate its decomposition (and having it attract even more of the universal spirit). Alternately wetting and drying it, or gradually imbibing it, with dew or distilled water is another way. The result is the production of copperas, which can be extracted either via steeping and decantation, or as the Thirteen Letters recommend, directly heating and evaporating / subliming its constituents.

The goal, if I am deciphering the texts correctly, is to separate out the alchemical mercury and alchemical sulfur components. Once separated and purified, these may be recombined in a small sealed flask, putrefied to blackness, and eventually transformed into white philosophical mercury, which is the Stone in its nascent form.
    That’s greatly simplifying things.
    Last edited by sam; 01-01-2015 at 09:40 AM. Reason: typing

<shameless plug>
    Btw: if anyone who has purchased the book finds it useful, a review at LULU, even a short one, may come in handy:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/adam-friedr...-21885075.html

</shameless plug>

+ Reply to Thread