Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 'Free' Energy Technology

Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post
    Just tried a quick experiment with a magnet, metal ball and a piece of paper. The coefficient of friction was greatly increased and the paper was difficult to pull out. I believe this same force would stop the wheel moving in the "free energy machine" featured in Kiorionis' post above. The ball would act like a brake on the wheel.

Ghislain
    Ghislain, I think I understand what you were trying to do but if you review the video again, you'll notice that the person was trying to find that exact distance between the wheel and the magnet where the magnetic attraction and gravity were almost in equilibrium but the magnetic attraction was just a bit stronger. Might be tough to replicate with paper as a substitute for a wheel. My $0.02

You have to take into account where all the forces are acting. I'm sure a physicist could show you where the energy losses would be that will eventually restore balance to the system. Immediately obvious is the friction between the ball and wheel plus the imbalanced friction on the spindle of the wheel as the magnetic force drags the ball in its direction. I placed the ball in a glass bowl with the paper under it and felt the resistance pulling the paper out, then placed the magnet under the bowl, increasing the distance from the bowl. only when at a sufficient distance where the magnet lost its hold on the ball did the friction between ball and paper return to normal. The ball, under the influence of the magnet, resisted spinning and part spun part slid as I dragged the paper. I know this was a crude experiment, but I will go with what is said in the video below.

Ghislain
    Last edited by Ghislain; 02-21-2018 at 10:13 AM.

You have to take into account where all the forces are acting. I'm sure a physicist could show you where the energy losses would be that will eventually restore balance to the system. Immediately obvious is the friction between the ball and wheel plus the imbalanced friction on the spindle of the wheel as the magnetic force drags the ball in its direction. I placed the ball in a glass bowl with the paper under it and felt the resistance pulling the paper out, then placed the magnet under the bowl, increasing the distance from the bowl. only when at a sufficient distance where the magnet lost its hold on the ball did the friction between ball and paper return to normal. The ball, under the influence of the magnet, resisted spinning and part spun part slid as I dragged the paper. I know this was a crude experiment, but I will go with what is said in the video below.

Ghislain
    That definition of perpetual motion has always seemed incorrect to me. The intention of the inventors of these devices was never to get anything "for free" but to use a "permanent" force like gravity to drive the engine. Should one ever be found to work, it would not be "creating energy" from "nowhere", but generating it from the constant pull of gravity.

Gravity only works in the direction of the centre of the mass creating it. To use this force, which is only a potential until in use, one has to move in that direction or the force has to act on something moving in that direction. To restore the potential one has to move against the force of gravity in the opposite direction; like winding up a spring. Carry a ball to the top of a hill then it will have the potential to roll down again, it will never roll up the hill of its own accord.

Ghislain

Gravity only works in the direction of the centre of the mass creating it. To use this force, which is only a potential until in use, one has to move in that direction or the force has to act on something moving in that direction. To restore the potential one has to move against the force of gravity in the opposite direction; like winding up a spring. Carry a ball to the top of a hill then it will have the potential to roll down again, it will never roll up the hill of its own accord.

Ghislain
    That's why in fact these machines fail: gravity is a unidirectional force, it always pulls down towards the center, and not because they are trying to "create" anything. But suppose you could find a substance that totally "blocked" or at least "lessened" the pull of gravity. All you would have to do is put it under one half of a wheel and it would be perpetually unbalanced (there would be more gravitational pull on one side of it than on the other one.) Of course, no one so far has found such a substance.

+ Reply to Thread