Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

View Poll Results: Does practical Alchemy include the Mystical Experience?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Practical Alchemy does include the Mystical Experience.

17 85.00%
  • Practical Alchemy does not include the Mystical Experience.

3 15.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Alchemy and the Mystical Experience

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post
    I feel like I cheated with the psychedelics and would love to be able to have the experience without them, but I'm too lazy
    If you could have, you would have.

In order to converse with the Plant Doctor's you need to buy a ticket... you can't meditate your way there, that is impossible. Maybe you can meditate yourself to other 'teachers', but not to Mother Ayahuasca or Dr. Shroom.

"The biggest ego trip... is getting rid of your ego... and the joke of it all is your ego does not exist, there is nothing to get rid of. It's an illusion... but you still want to ask how to stop the illusion, but who is asking?" - Alan Watts
    Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

The biggest ego trip... is getting rid of your ego
    I don't think getting rid of the Ego is the point Dev...it's more learning to live with it as a necessary part of who we are in this worldly existence.

To find balance in its traits that fit with other's Ego...I guess you could liken each Ego to a jigsaw piece and if all the pieces fit together you have harmony.

Perhaps a little Utopian thinking there...

Ghislain

Blog Entries
    I don't think getting rid of the Ego is the point Dev...it's more learning to live with it as a necessary part of who we are in this worldly existence.
    There is no ego.

As for the topic of this thread I think, IMHO, that Practical Alchemy without the Mystical Experience is a waste of time. But I can only speak for myself and I have nothing to debate about it... I just think that all pursuits in life should be in the realm of the Mysteries, the Divine... not saying I achieve this, but it's my aim.

Again I am closer to the Fundamentalists than I at first thought. It's funny really... that the people I think are most brainwashed and narrow-minded (which they are), are probably closer to the truth than the rest of us (even if they might view this truth a bit fucked up than they should).

Last edited by Awani; 01-17-2015 at 01:44 AM.
    Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    Again I am closer to the Fundamentalists than I at first thought. It's funny really... that the people I think are most brainwashed and narrow-minded (which they are), are probably closer to the truth than the rest of us (even if they might view this truth a bit fucked up than they should).

Scary, but that thought passed through my mind too...I think it is the total commitment they give to it, like the Jewish guy I sat next to on the plane home from Peru...reads and prays seven hours a day. When I asked him how long he had been doing it he said since he was a child (must have been about 80 yrs old). Not making an opinion of what he was doing just pointing out the commitment to his belief. Must be a bummer if you get it wrong

Where you say there is no Ego, I agree and disagree at the same time. Ego is as real as we are in this earthly existence...I would be hard pushed to find someone without Ego I think...it is as much a part of us as is our hands and feet. I could see that there are no hands and feet and thus no Ego; did I explain that properly oh well it is 5 am...time for bed.

By the way...love that picture.

Ghislain

Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    There you have it. As far as I remember, in black and white, this is exactly what happened - and this is not an allegorical story.
    Thanks for sharing. Very interesting occurrence for sure.

Mystical for me would be like The Matrix turning into reality. I see the universe as I know it dissolve around me, and I see that it's all some sort of cosmic illusion. Every person I know is actually me, but from a different perspective, and reality and time were all just in my mind.
    (That seems to be the hinted at "conclusion" for alchemy)
    Feel free to PM me. Always interested in networking. Don't be shy, dearie.
    http://i.imgur.com/RoTaXgG.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    There you have it. As far as I remember, in black and white, this is exactly what happened - and this is not an allegorical story.
    Thanks for sharing this story. I have had a similar experience which happened when I was mentally struggling to understand an alchemical text. I believe such states to be intimately related to the alchemical philosophy: there seems to be a deep resonance between that 'experience' or 'state' and the alchemical symbolism. That position is affirmed by the mystical interpreters of alchemy (Burckhardt, Evola, Atwood, Hitchcock) but did not read them until after I had already come to the same conclusion based on my own experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    After a recent conversation with someone, I've decided that one of the outcomes of practicing alchemy is the 'Mystical Experience'.
    I've made this into a poll just for gits and shiggles
    I define the mystical experience as: a subjective and momentary submission and 'Union with the Divine', in a determined or universal way, in dreams or waking consciousness, resulting in a new knowledge and understanding of the 'Divine'.
    Not only am I curious what others think about the mystical experience as a goal in alchemy, I'm also curious in any opinions, ideas and/or comments on the subject of mystical experiences in any way, shape or form.
    Such as an answer to the question, how would you define a 'mystical experience'?
    I don't think I could define "mystical experience". There are lots of examples possible. I know it when I see it, sometimes. Often I can recognize it only because I remember how I "got there", and it was quite sudden. Other times I have worked to open up to such. Working with my partner we have experiences whenever we sit down to do such, sometimes faster than other times.

The last two months we have been on a steep up-curve on intensity of mystic experience, together. As tantric alchemists mostly, the only labs my partner and I have are our bodies and minds. Divine ecstasy is transforming, repeatedly.
    Last edited by Andro; 02-23-2015 at 08:35 AM. Reason: BB code fix.

Is the ego merely an illusion? My ego says: Nope!

Zen Buddhism insists that this mind is the mind of the Buddha. And in Astrology, the Sun can stand for both the ego and the spiritual self.

It is not so much the ego which stands in the way of spiritual experience but its confinement by limiting beliefs and by the five physical senses. In Astrology, the frontier of its realm is represented by Saturn - the last of the visible planets which confines the inner planets, and is being himself confined by his characteristic ring.

Beyond Saturn there are the outer planets found in more recent times - up to now, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto, as far as Astrology is concerned. They open the Solar System up to the forces of the Galaxy. In the psyche, they represent traits like higher dimensional awareness, psychic perception, mystical union.

The outermost is reflected in the innermost, thus, as the ego transcends its Saturnine boundaries, it is filled with the light of the inner self emanating from its center. That's the process called Enlightenment.

Unlike some other metaphysical systems, Alchemy doesn't teach detachment from the physical world but bringing the spiritual light into it: The spiritual becoming physical, and the physical becoming spiritual.

Thus the Emerald Tablet says:

"Its force is entire if it be converted into earth."

Blog Entries
    Can you know if you have that state of being without thought?
    Mind at rest is still mind, yet thoughtless... And also EFFORTLESS, which is the really |<()()|_ part about it

Is there actually a Universe?
    There is no spoon.

+ Reply to Thread