Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Crowdfunding Translations

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sam
    of those 3 options the middle one seems adequate.
    Why not use a site that is for free (no nibbeling required)... usually they take about 3-5 % as a fee once the campaign is funded.

Also this is a small niche. Why need a platform? Why not just set up a PayPal and then crowdfund by word of mouth, sharing on FB, emailing everyone you know. Make it more direct and personal. Not sure how much money you need but if you spend 150 dollars on the platform alone well that could have paid many hours of translating.

Quote Originally Posted by sam
    I would also suggest to make the printed version EXPENSIVE rather than cheap. I have observed that people who know the value of this work are willing to shell out 50 or even 100 bucks for a book whichs translation, if done solely for them, would cost 20 times that money. The cheap characters will never pay that kind of money (unless they create a mafia style cooperation - but thats far fetched). Thats saves us from "uploads" indefinitely.
    When the translator has been paid just let it go for free. There can always be a LULU copy that people can get for a price just to cover the cost of LULU.

If you want to make money on it after the people who has already done the work has been paid, then I think you should invest in it yourself and do it like a business. If it is not a business don't treat it as one, if it is... do, but then don't do crowdfunding unless everyone reaps the profits... which is guaranteed to cause a major headache.

The point was to be able to read alchemical works that are in a different language, that is it. Why complicate things?

Last edited by Awani; 02-02-2015 at 01:40 PM.
    Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    Why not use a site that is for free (no nibbeling required)... usually they take about 3-5 % as a fee once the campaign is funded.
    the specific ones take more like 5-10% and the general ones are of no use for us (see below)

Also this is a small niche. Why need a platform? Why not just set up a PayPal and then crowdfund by word of mouth, sharing on FB, emailing everyone you know. Make it more direct and personal. Not sure how much money you need but if you spend 150 dollars on the platform alone well that could have paid many hours of translating.
    that has been done, the results are in, it does not work.
    and 150 bucks get you nowhere with a good translator.

The MAIN point to have a dedicated platform is this: the admin of that platform does not just get his % for making it available like the big platforms do, he is also responsible for making each new project KNOWN to those who may have an interest. In the big wide world that is not needed, and also almost impossible, but for small niches this is done all the time thats why chuches and social clubs have their very own CF sites. If you use a big one then you also have to learn whom to approach, and that goes for each single individual who wants something translated, it is easily 20% of the work, if not more.

When the translator has been paid just let it go for free. There can always be a LULU copy that people can get for a price just to cover the cost of LULU.
    in a perfect world that would be ideal, alas we dont live in a perfect world. in this world people want to be paid for their work, and the only way to get a good translation any cheaper is to leave the rights with the translator so he can later make it into a book and hopefully get some more sales on the open market.
    It may be possible to have a special rule to release the work after X years (as mentioned before, e.g. 5 or 10).

If you want to make money on it after the people who has already done the work has been paid, then I think you should invest in it yourself and do it like a business. If it is not a business don't treat it as one, if it is... do, but then don't do crowdfunding unless everyone reaps the profits... which is guaranteed to cause a major headache.

But CF IS a business, it is used foremost and first by businesses to get funding that would not get any from banks. thats the whole idea. so where is the headache.
    Unless you are willing to spend your time for free and do free work for all of us, thats the way its done: business. Now there can be businesses with certain say sympathetic rules towards a certain interest group, or in other words, if I myself like alchemy I will likely give those who want alchemical translations a special treat, i.e. less money. But it remains a business. There is nothing wrong with it. Even if alchemy is only a hobby for you - everybody with a hobby finances numerous businesses if he collects stamps, books or model cars, it makes no difference.

The point was to be able to read alchemical works that are in a different language, that is it. Why complicate things?
    because it has been tried without and found not to be working.

Once again, speaking from years of experience in this subject, there is only one way that has withstood the test of time and worked:

1- An adequate translator who is fluent in both the source language (German, Arabic, Latin, etc.) and the target language (in our case, English) and is willing to work on "unusual" subjects like alchemy/chymistry is located (this might take YEARS of testing translators until one is found) and who does not ask for exaggerated translation rates (0.01 to 0.03 $ per word translated is fine, more than that and it starts to get prohibitive even when several people pitch in to cover the costs)

2- People have to come forth stating that they are interested in the translation of any given text and will pitch in to help cover these costs

3- The person who finds the translator, or perhaps someone else assigned to assume the role of coordinator, if need be for someone with more familiarity with the literature of alchemy/chymistry and its specialized language/vocabulary, has to discuss any problems/mistakes that may be found in the first submitted translation with the translator and attempt to correct/clarify as many of them as is possible for a final more polished translation

4- A word count is made (this is very easy to do nowadays thanks to Microsoft Word's handy "word count" feature) of this final more polished version of the translated text and the translator paid his fees (this requires risk on the part of the person coordinating the project, as the initial money to pay the translator has to come from his own pocket; I have assumed this role myself a bunch of times, and yes, sometimes I end up paying the shares of some dead-beat bums who do not keep their word to pitch in to help cover the costs. Fortunately, the majority of people are not like that and do keep their agreements to share in the costs.)

5- The shares per person are submitted to the person coordinating the translation project, preferably through a quick and secure medium, like PayPal (sometimes I have received shares from contributors in the form of money orders or even cash via regular mail, but most people nowadays have access to PayPal accounts, so they prefer this method)

6- The translation is distributed via email among all those who contributed their share for making the translation happen (dead-beats who do not submit their shares are carefully noted, black-listed and of course banned from ever pretending to participate again in such projects as they are a threat to the whole effort and can actually end up costing the coordinator of the project some money from his own pocket)

PS: This exact same method also has worked very well in helping acquire photocopies/scans of rare and difficult to find books, articles or university theses on alchemy/chymistry.
    Last edited by JDP; 02-02-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Scan & Copy Protection

If anyone is interested

Unscannable Books by Jasmine Raznahan

Also, the following technique (first video on the playlist) is used in Hollywood when handing out confidential scripts, to prevent them from being 'leaked out'

I must admit the book designs are both interesting and entertaining

Blog Entries
    Since nothing ever happens until one or more people actually take initiative, I've been doing a bit of 'plotting, scheming and conspiring'' behind the scenes to check for possibilities to create a crowdfunding platform for the translation of alchemical texts. In principle, it is intended to work with a variety of languages and a number of different translators.

However, before we get ahead of ourselves, I would like to see if there is any actual interest, expressed in actual texts.

That's why I've created this spin-off thread, to 'test the waters', so to speak: Translation Suggestions

In the meantime I have purchased the Ignition Deck CF "solution" - unfortunately its far from a solution, its basically a overpiced half baked product with rudimentary support. and although I am into "computers" for 3 decades now I am pulling out hair over this program.

In other words, it will take a little while until it runs like "advertised"

I have been considering a simple solution, like the paypal donation function combined with a simple html page. That may still be an option because it can be realized fast and almost serves our needs, almost only because the real CF solution has a few gimmicks that make it easier to manage once more than one or two translations are happening simultaneously (which may or may not happen). So give me some time here. The average needed for a "normal" i.e. purely commercial site to be built with this tool seems to be 3 month to one year, depending on complexity and funds.

heads up:

OK, the ACF (Alchemy Crowd Funding) site is nearing completion - of course there will always be enhancements and add-on but the basic functionality is there and only a few smaller quirks need to be fixed.

-sam

I have been half following this discussion and have to admit it has gone a little over my head.

What are the benefits of crowd funding as opposed to sponsorship apart from spreading the burden of cost?

What happens if a crowd funds something that never comes to fruition, how are those funded held to uphold their offer?

Just for information...

Crowdfunding

Some Schemes funded by Crowdfunding...

Electric Eel Shock, a Japanese rock band in 2004 raised £10,000 from 100 fans (the Samurai 100) by offering them a lifetime membership on the band's guestlist. Two years later, they became the fastest band to raise a US$50,000 budget on SellaBand.

Franny Armstrong later created a donation system for her feature film The Age of Stupid. Over five years, from June 2004 to June 2009 (release date), she raised £1,500,000.

In December 2004, French entrepreneurs and producers Benjamin Pommeraud and Guillaume Colboc, launched a public Internet donation campaign to fund their short science fiction film, Demain la Veille (Waiting for Yesterday). Within a month, they managed to raise €17,000 online, allowing them to shoot their film.

Seed Accelerators

Seed accelerators are fixed-term, cohort-based programs, that include mentorship and educational components and culminate in a public pitch event or demo day. While traditional business incubators are often government-funded, generally take no equity, and focus on biotech, medical technology, clean tech or product-centric companies, accelerators can be either privately or publicly funded and focus on a wide range of industries.

Y-Combinator

Y-Combinator is one such Seed Accelerator...

As of May 2013, Y Combinator had funded over 500 startups. The number of startups funded in each cycle has been gradually increasing. The first cycle, in summer 2005, had eight startups. In the summer 2012 cycle, there were more than 80. Y Combinator subsequently reduced their class size down to less than 50 with their winter 2013 batch, but as of summer 2014 is back to more than 80.

Some of the better-known funded companies include Scribd, Reddit, Airbnb, Dropbox, Disqus, Stripe.

Paul Graham has stated that 37 of over 500 start ups have a valuation of over $40 million.

Paul Graham noted at the Global Mobile Internet Conference that Y Combinator startups have a combined value of more than $13.7 billion. In a 2014 blog post, Altman updated these numbers, noting that the total market cap of Y Combinator companies is over $30 billion, with portfolio companies having raised over $3 billion, and that 3 companies are worth over $1 billion.
    I apologise if some of my questions have already been covered.

Ghislain
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

Thanks Sam for putting the time into building a site. It is very much appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread