Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Reality of Illusion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    I actually thought about the blind and the deaf whilst writing these posts.
    Years ago, in my (then) line of work, I met one blind man who could see without functioning eyes. Active pineal gland, also very psychic. He could see everything just like me (or better?), but probably not exactly the same as with the 'normal' eyes. He also said that he sometimes experiences moments of 'not seeing', and that he trains himself to improve this ability. He was not blind from birth.

Related: When I'm 'out of body', I can often see with much greater clarity and focus than I could ever imagine doing with the physical eyes.

------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Andro; 04-21-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Had a go at recreating the Jesus pic from post 2...not very successfully

Ghislain
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

Quote Originally Posted by Androgynus View Post
    I've had the experience of seeing with closed eyes.

It feels a bit strange, and everything was Black & White (for me), but the scenery was the exactly same as with the eyes open.
    Quote Originally Posted by dev
    On Iboga I had the same experience, it wasn't black and white but more like night vision (greenish).
    Wow I've had the same. Never told anyone because I thought no one would believe me. But for me it wasn't black & white or geenish. It was more like someone reduced the contrast of the colours around me to a minimum. It happened to me in my first year of meditation. Unfortunately it didn't happen again since.

Blog Entries
    reality exists independent of human awareness
    This is the fundamental belief of science. When reality is viewed as subjective, instead of absolute, the scientific method is no longer fully applicable.

I believe that reality is absolute, and it is only us who are limited in our means of observing reality, making reality appear subjective. Reality is, IMO, not subjective--our minds, and our abilities to perceive reality, are subjective. So, in my view, it may not be that we are viewing illusions... instead, we have illusory visions of reality which some of us, in our arrogance, call absolute reality.

If we collectively view the same illusion, is it not fitting to call it reality?

Many years ago we had some friend around and we partook of some recreational drugs.

On the wall was a picture of a woodland scene with a path into the woods.

While staring at this picture I saw a building deep in the woods with people moving about it, so I explained what I saw asked my spaced-out companions if they could see it too. To my surprise they could, I was very excited, but then I asked them to explain what they saw and it was not the same as what I saw.

I had made the suggestion and their minds created their own reality for them.

I would not be surprised if this is what we all do all of the time, each of us living in our individual reality; at least a perceived individual reality.

Ghislain
    Open Book

Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain
    I would not be surprised if this is what we all do all of the time, each of us living in our individual reality; at least a perceived individual reality.

Ghislain
    That's what I believe. In the end, everything is just information and our senses and our (prejudging) subconscious are part of the perceiving process.
    For (very exaggerated) example:

When a person could hear only deep or basslike sounds, and he would always look up to the sky, he could walk through a world full of crying/screaming children behind fences to his left and right without even knowing it. For him, the world would be beautiful. Not hearing the children and always seeing the blue sky.
    On the other hand, a man who could hear those high pitched sounds would hear every scream and cry, and look towards them. He would see thousands of children in pain and fear behind fences. For him the world would be hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain
    While staring at this picture I saw a building deep in the woods with people moving about it, so I explained what I saw asked my spaced-out companions if they could see it too. To my surprise they could, I was very excited, but then I asked them to explain what they saw and it was not the same as what I saw.

That's even more impressive. The fact that we are able to adjust others perception towards what we see. At least in a very rough way.

By telling them what you saw, you made them see the same (at least roughly) as you. UNTIL your "story/explanation" ended, and they started to perceive their experience completely subjective again.
    That's very interesting.

Blog Entries

I agree, this is very interesting; something I had not considered. For me, this reflects the first law of Hermetics, and makes a great deal of sense.

Ghislain
    Open Book

Ghislain
    Open Book

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Never told anyone because I thought no one would believe me.
    Six years ago I would have my doubts. Now I don't!

-------------------------------------------------------

Yeah those videos are nice examples. Many floating around.

Re-reading this thread (which is a year old now) I am amazed. I usually never toot my own horn, but it's a new year so why not? LOL!

Quote myself from earlier in this thread:
    "In other words our eyes see the illusionary world, but we don't see the complete illusion it resides in. Like seeing a ghost, but failing to see that the eyes that saw the ghost don't exist."
    I think this is a perfect description, not sure how I could formulate it so well IMO. Ha ha.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

+ Reply to Thread