Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Reality of Illusion

Blog Entries
    I have been on a certain philosophical path for many years, and in the last ten years this path has become more and more focused. I feel like I am, for me at least, getting to the very core of the matter. As always uncertain if it makes any sense whatsoever to anyone else... however recently the rabbit hole just got a bit deeper for me. So here goes...

Water does not ask itself: am I wet? Water is only wet if experienced by someone/something that is dry.

So with that, how can anyone know if someone/something is real (wet), unless they are unreal (dry) themselves?

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    Thats deep Awani. Are we each the only real thing in our own personal Universe? Ive always wondered...
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Blog Entries
    IAO
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    Are we each the only real thing in our own personal Universe? Ive always wondered...
    As my example shows, that is impossible to know. I guess in a sense if we build a sentient robot, then we can ask that robot if we exist or not... since the robot would be outside this "sphere". But that does not work either, since the robot exists within "this" realm. It is a closed loop.

The desktop on your computer can never be aware of the world outside the plastic covers of the computer itself, it is locked in its own relative universe. Perhaps in death such answers will be given, but even then we are closed off in "that" realm... basically no matter what we do, we will always be trapped in our own conscious experience... never truly knowing what that experience is, unless we somehow manage (through death or other means) become something else entire... just as water is only wet if it is perecieved by something that is dry. Etc.

I guess another way of saying this is:

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

I suggest the book "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari. It's a great read in general, and has ideas that are relevant to this topic.

Our capacity for imagination, myth making, belief making, etc... is responsible for not just our own subjective realities, but inter-subjective realities - subjective realities that are shared. A large group of people can believe in something that does not objectively exist, but the existence of that idea create a reality inside the culture those members belong to. Thus we act on illusions as if they were real, and our minds cannot tell the difference.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lux Natura View Post
    Thus we act on illusions as if they were real, and our minds cannot tell the difference.
    That's because the illusion thus becomes real. The devil only exist if you believe in him etc.

Blog Entries

If reality was an illusion jumping off a building wouldn't result in you being splatted on the floor.

In vedic teachings there are loka's (realms) they all exist simultaneously hear and now but you are locked into your loka and only perceive that reality. Some yogi in meditation suddenly open their eyes to find themselves sitting in a different reality. Celts call that the other world but it is not somewhere you must travel to it is the reality beneath your reality.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxus View Post
    If reality was an illusion jumping off a building wouldn't result in you being splatted on the floor.
    Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Awani View Post
    Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Don't let the delusion that reality is supposedly a delusion confuse you regarding the reality of reality. If not, then put your beliefs to the test by jumping off of the top of a tall building, as suggested above. My "prediction" based on that reality: 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% sure you will die.

+ Reply to Thread