Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Translation Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Hellin Hermetist View Post
    The first one (Livre se XXII feuilletes) is the common work in which the alchemist use starry regulus of antimony to purify common mercury. I dont know the second one. Brouault's work is what its title says. It teaches you some methods to distill common spirit of wine and remove the excess humidity from it, after that to remove the phlegm from your wine, the acidic and oily substances and to purify tartar. The third book teaches you how to extract herbal essences using highly rectified spirit of wine. This book also makes reference to some curious experiments where you use bottles under vacuum to create artificial and perpetual moving springs. Its an interesting reading but Gosset's "Revelations Cabalistiques d'une Medecine Universelle tirée du vin, avec une manière d’extraire le sel de rosée, et une Dissertation sur les Lampes Sépulchrales" is a better choice if you want to work with wine.
    Thanks for your suggestions !

Blog Entries
    Hi Weidenfeld,

Yes I know two of them (1, 3), the first in interesting, if I remember well, not much text.
    The last one in great, I have it in french and tret mostly about the uses of spirit ofwine as the source of "mercury".
    Salazius

http://dartigne.blogspot.com/

My Works

"I want to transmute everywhere" ~ The Spirit of Alchemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    It would be much easier to support a text if a synopses is given along with the title. I'm not sure everyone has heard of some of these books, and might not know what they're about, and probably wouldn't support it based solely on a title in a language they can't read.

The Zhong Lü Chuan Dao Ji

Ghislain
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

This guy has apparently made some medicines and stones and seems to outline a process in his books, but they are German.

http://www.edelstein-essenzen.de/en_index.php

http://www.horusmedia.de/buch.php

Been somewhat keen on reading these. The sweet smell he mentions is a good sign I think, as it matches up with some of the older authors' claims, might've been Flamel, can't remember.
    Feel free to PM me. Always interested in networking. Don't be shy, dearie.
    http://i.imgur.com/RoTaXgG.jpg

Ok, so here goes... taking what Andro had started above and his and others' angst from here we as the forum members are going to 'work' on moving this forward (yes... you've all be voluntold... lol). I've started a list of books that require translation (basically a summary of what's posted above)

Original Author - Book or Manuscript
    Lorenzo Ventura - De ratione conficiendi lapidis philosophici
    I.C.H. - Die sieben heiligen Grundsäulen der Ewigkeit und Zeit
    Richard Burgsthal - Les Precieux Vitraux Qui Ornent Ses Fenetres
    Jean Brouault - Traité de l'eau de vie ou anatomie theorique et pratique du vin, divisé en trois livres
    Gosset - Revelations Cabalistiques d'une Medecine Universelle tirée du vin, avec une manière d’extraire le sel de rosée, et une Dissertation sur les Lampes Sépulchrales
    Johannes Chrysippus Fanianus - De arte metallicae metamorphoseos ad Philoponum*(Theatrum Chemicum, Volume I)
    Joannes Isaac Hollandus - Operum mineralium, sive de lapide philosophico*(Theatrum Chemicum, Volume III)
    Raymond Lulle - Testament Theorica et Practica, Compendium artis metallorum*(Theatrum Chemicum, Volume IV)
    Raymond Lulle - Codicilus
    Andreas Brentzius - Works of Andreas Brentzius
    Christiano Adolphi Balduini - Works of Christiano Adolphi Balduini
    Anonymous(?) - The Zhong Lü Chuan Dao Ji
    Ulrich Arndt - Edelstein Essenzen
    Ulrich Arndt - Original Alchemistische Essenzen

I'm not too happy with the format as posted so will work on that. The list is in Excel on my laptop so adding columns and formatting should be easy. In addition, will see if I can add # of pages and original source language and other available languages as well so we can figure out what translation expertise is needed. Anything else I'm missing?

BTW, please feel free to add to this list. After about a month of collecting additional book/mss names, we'll vote for the top 10 and go from there. Not sure if all the logistics are worked out but let's step through this as best we can and maybe we'll get somewhere.

Your suggestions for improvement are welcome so in addition to translation recommendations, if you can provide any suggestions to improve this list, please let me know as well.

Thanks,

Aham

Quote Originally Posted by Aham View Post
    Ok, so here goes... taking what Andro had started above and his and others' angst from here we as the forum members are going to 'work' on moving this forward (yes... you've all be voluntold... lol). I've started a list of books that require translation (basically a summary of what's posted above)

Original Author - Book or Manuscript
    Lorenzo Ventura - De ratione conficiendi lapidis philosophici
    I.C.H. - Die sieben heiligen Grundsäulen der Ewigkeit und Zeit
    Richard Burgsthal - Les Precieux Vitraux Qui Ornent Ses Fenetres
    Jean Brouault - Traité de l'eau de vie ou anatomie theorique et pratique du vin, divisé en trois livres
    Gosset - Revelations Cabalistiques d'une Medecine Universelle tirée du vin, avec une manière d’extraire le sel de rosée, et une Dissertation sur les Lampes Sépulchrales
    Johannes Chrysippus Fanianus - De arte metallicae metamorphoseos ad Philoponum*(Theatrum Chemicum, Volume I)
    Joannes Isaac Hollandus - Operum mineralium, sive de lapide philosophico*(Theatrum Chemicum, Volume III)
    Raymond Lulle - Testament Theorica et Practica, Compendium artis metallorum*(Theatrum Chemicum, Volume IV)
    Raymond Lulle - Codicilus
    Andreas Brentzius - Works of Andreas Brentzius
    Christiano Adolphi Balduini - Works of Christiano Adolphi Balduini
    Anonymous(?) - The Zhong Lü Chuan Dao Ji
    Ulrich Arndt - Edelstein Essenzen
    Ulrich Arndt - Original Alchemistische Essenzen

I'm not too happy with the format as posted so will work on that. The list is in Excel on my laptop so adding columns and formatting should be easy. In addition, will see if I can add # of pages and original source language and other available languages as well so we can figure out what translation expertise is needed. Anything else I'm missing?

BTW, please feel free to add to this list. After about a month of collecting additional book/mss names, we'll vote for the top 10 and go from there. Not sure if all the logistics are worked out but let's step through this as best we can and maybe we'll get somewhere.

Your suggestions for improvement are welcome so in addition to translation recommendations, if you can provide any suggestions to improve this list, please let me know as well.

Thanks,

Aham
    Another additional problem, besides the ones already discussed in another thread, is that most of these texts already exist in other languages, which many people around here can read, and therefore would not be very interested in contributing to an English translation. For example, all the Lullian texts mentioned above already exist in either French, Spanish, Catalan, Italian and/or German versions. People who can read any of these versions simply won't be very interested in financing an English translation. Furthermore, unpublished manuscript English translations of many of these texts already exist (but manuscripts can be VERY tricky; it depends on how legible was the handwriting of the scribe who copied it. A scribe's handwriting can totally ruin everything! So even if the translation was complete and very well done, it serves you nothing if you can't read it because of the atrocious handwriting of the person who copied it. Sometimes manuscripts may actually be written in clean, legible handwriting, but the manuscript itself has suffered the ravages of time and many pages have been damaged or the ink has faded in many parts, to the point of making them practically useless. So, manuscripts depend a lot on luck.)

The biggest advantage by far is for those readers who are fluent in German or Latin. These people need not bother much regarding having alchemical & chymical literature translated, since the majority of it is already available to them. Only having translations of texts in Greek, Persian and Arabic would probably interest them, if they don't happen to know those languages.

The problem with the deciphering of handwritings still persists for those fluent in german and/or latin.

I hope a computer algorithm may help with this sometime in the future.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    The problem with the deciphering of handwritings still persists for those fluent in german and/or latin.

I hope a computer algorithm may help with this sometime in the future.
    Indeed.

It seems that even for native German speakers (of which there are a few on this forum), deciphering the handwriting in manuscripts such as (for example) 'Thesaurus Thesaurorum of the Golden R+C' can be a real challenge...

Interesting what you say about that computer algorithm... Is it specifically written/designed to decipher barely legible handwriting?

Indeed.
    These austrians (those again - can there be a connection between mercury retrograde and austrians?) programmed something promising:

German speakers only:
    https://tirol.orf.at/news/stories/2728187/

Edit: They claim it's already publicy available but I haven't tried yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    They claim it's already publicly available but I haven't tried yet.
    "Experimental" version downloadable HERE.

The info is in English and it looks like a EU project, not just for the German language.

The program seemingly needs "collaborators", so it can "learn" as many types of handwriting as possible.

+ Reply to Thread