Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I - Ching. Book of Changes

I - Ching. Book of Changes

It is very difficult to classify the I - Ching as it is part of the Tao which cannot be known, and thus it is posted here.

I have used and learned to trust the guidance of the I - Ching over many years, but, as with anything I look at, I like to question.

I noticed that the trigrams, three lines either broken or unbroken, which are used to formulate the I-Ching can represent eight binary numbers from 0 to 7.

The trigrams can be seen below contained in the image of the Bagua.

Taking the yin (broken) lines as representing 1 and the yang (unbroken) lines as representing zero I placed the trigrams into their respective binary order and then using this I formulated the 64 hexagrams into their binary order too.

The whole of the formulated trigrams and hexagrams can be seen HERE

With the trigrams the binary value is to the left and the decimal value to the right.

I placed the decimal representation of the binary number contained in the hexagram to the left and the number of the hexagram in relation to the Book of Changes to the right in bold.

I have read the binary from bottom to top, bottom being the least significant number, as this is how you formulate the hexagrams when casting the I - Ching.

Note that just by organising the trigrams the hexagrams fell neatly into place.

In conclusion I can see no relationship with the binary numbers and the way the hexagrams are ordered in the book.

Please let me know if you see a pattern I may have missed or if I have made any mistakes.

The readings in the hexagrams are taken from the book, "The I Ching or Book of Change: A Guide to Life's Turning Points" by Brian Browne Walker. These are headings for each reading and not the reading itself.

If you want to know more about the I - Ching there are many sites out there that can guide you, so I wont go into long detailed explanations here, but I would really recommend getting a book yourself.

Thanks

Ghislain
    Last edited by Andro; 06-11-2015 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Image link fixed.
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

The bagua and a couple I Ching diagrams were referenced in a piece just posted to my blog, Song of the Golden Elixir:
    http://ignisetazoth.blogspot.com/201...en-elixir.html

Also see "The Taoist I Ching" by Liu I-ming, translated by Thomas Cleary. My belief is that there is far less distance between Eastern and Western alchemy than is commonly supposed.

http://www.taoistiching.org/

Thanks 3+O(

I enjoyed that blog...very interesting.

I can see what you are saying, Eastern and Western Alchemy have very much in common; but then i believe all paths must lead to the truth, they just take different routes.

Ghislain
    Open Book

Ghislain
    Open Book

Blog Entries
    The Timewave Zero is an interesting model, but it is irrelevant to anyone but Mr. McKenna himself. It is his own individual model based on his own life experiences. Perhaps it can be improved, but I don't think time can be mapped. It is a circle anyway.

McKenna is most famous for this theory but I don't think it is justified... I think his Stoned Ape theory is much better IMO.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

+ Reply to Thread