Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Psychedelic science

Blog Entries

Psychedelic science

Spin-off from: Scientific Divination

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    ...trying to solve a biochemistry issue, or a quantum mechanic calculation etc. using divination (or such methods) as a tool to reach a result in "a mainstream science" field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    What method would be most useful for this, do you think?.
    Well depends on the problem. I can only really speak of psychedelics. Not really paranormal, because in the sense it can be "proven"... just take it But I guess it is in the pseudo-science category. Geometric patterns are a big thing in the psychedelic experience. So why not apply these "powers" to solving mathematical problems? Now I am shit at math, but if a great mathematician used psycedelics with these intentions that would be interesting. But same set-up could be applied to other areas as well.

But not only psychedelics. That was only from my perspective. If someone has experience with deep meditation/divination, astral travel, channeling etc... then those techs could also be used to generate whatever solution to a scientific issue.

Reason I stick with psychedelics in my example is because it is the most "true" paranormal experience I have ever had, so it is the only "paranormal" tech I am familiar with.

With intention the "trip" can be shaped. And you can surf on the experience, instead of tumbling around. Those that are skilled in meditation (certainly not I) can - based on people I have met - surf easier than others. There are scientists that have tried ayahuasca, but not in order to aid them in their scientific research. At least none I know of, but perhaps there are some cases? The guy who discovered DNA took LSD, but I don't know if he took it in order to find "the answer". So that could have been a fluke.

Anyway would be interesting if a scientist used psychedelics with this purpose. Equally cool if a scientist used other "paranormal techniques"... but they would have to learn them.

Edit: found this... Psychedelics in problem solving experiment

Last edited by Awani; 12-20-2015 at 12:44 AM.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    I should have googled more before I posted.

Harvard/Stanford psychologist James Fadiman has been at the forefront of experiments using low and micro-doses of psilocybin, MDMA, or LSD to problem solve:

At 9:30 in the morning, an architect and three senior scientists—two from Stanford, the other from Hewlett-Packard—donned eyeshades and earphones, sank into comfy couches, and waited for their government-approved dose of LSD to kick in. From across the suite and with no small amount of anticipation, Dr. James Fadiman spun the knobs of an impeccable sound system and unleashed Beethoven’s “Symphony No. 6 in F Major, Op. 68.” Then he stood by, ready to ease any concerns or discomfort.

For this particular experiment, the couched volunteers had each brought along three highly technical problems from their respective fields that they’d been unable to solve for at least several months. In approximately two hours, when the LSD became fully active, they were going to remove the eyeshades and earphones, and attempt to find some solutions. Fadiman and his team would monitor their efforts, insights, and output to determine if a relatively low dose of acid—100 micrograms to be exact—enhanced their creativity.”

Tips for Problem Solving on Psychedelics

1. Have a problem in mind before you enter the trip.
    Don't worry too much about defining the problem very specifically before you trip; part of the fun of problem-solving on psychedelics can be figuring out new ways to frame and define problems that you’ve been thinking about for a while. Just finding a new way to state the problem can lead to insights!

2. Dose low.
    If you want to focus on solving a problem while tripping, you should aim for a dose that is high enough to alter your normal state enough to allow you that "outsider" perspective that psychedelics can offer, but low enough to allow you stay focused on something fairly mundane like a problem (as opposed to thinking about the meaning of life, love, truth, beauty, and happiness---though thinking about those things can certainly lead to insights about mundane problems as well!). A typical problem-solving dose may be 60mg of MDMA, 75ug of LSD, or a cap of shrooms.

3. Do your research.
    Read the books and articles below and do your own searches as well.

4. Stay mindful.
    Remember that psychedelics can exaggerate thoughts in ways that can be both helpful and unhelpful. Staying mindful of your thought patterns, emotions, and reactions while you are using psychedelics is very important to allowing you to come to the most useful, easily integrated, and healthy insights into your problem. Remember to drink a lot of water, take breaks from your problem if you’re getting really intensely into it, and clear your head a little bit.

5. Integrate your insights.
    Talking through your insights with a friend or therapist, whether they were gained with a psychedelic or not, helps integrate them insights into your consciousness in a balanced and healthy way.

Source

Last edited by Awani; 12-20-2015 at 12:58 AM.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    Maybe I should experiment with microdosing.

Never considered that before... that is very interesting.

Just watch the beginning of the video... after that it is mostly annoying rambling...

If you are trying to solve a real issue, or in trying to understand something, then maybe it can be really useful. Only one way to find out.

Last edited by Awani; 12-20-2015 at 01:06 AM.

Blog Entries
    Interesting find dev.

However, at a low dose, I'm assuming a person is only capable of working within their own definitions and understanding, and there may only be increased activity to interconnect pre-existing knowledge.

But who knows. Certainly an interesting field of study
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Blog Entries
    Still haven't given this a go, and I have to try before I condemn it utterly... but I suspect that the best way to use these substances are macrodosing. Everytime I went to far, I got excellent results... and everytime I went not far enough it never turned out as good. So not sure microdosing has any worth.

Still, got to try it first. But much less enthusiastic about it now when I've had it on my mind for over a year.

For solving a scientific problem then YES... but I am more interested in personal healing and elevation and in this case it is NO.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    So not sure microdosing has any worth.
    Maybe a different technique is required? If a macro dose is more of a passive pursuit, then I imagine a micro dose would be a more active pursuit -- like automatic writing.

I was recently at a local music show where a friend of mine was on a micro dose of mushrooms. He was on stage painting in rhythm with them musicians.

I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to do anything like that on a macro dose... lol
    Last edited by Kiorionis; 12-14-2016 at 02:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to do anything like that on a macro dose... lol
    Yes, but you could do it without having a dose at all. How big an impact did the micro dose really have?

Blog Entries
    I think it depends on the person's ability to open up their mind. Artists are usually pretty decent at it.

Micro doses can make colours more vivd and sounds more interesting, too. I'll have to ask him next time I see him.

Blog Entries
    I'll have to ask him next time I see him.
    Please do.

+ Reply to Thread