Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Celibate Philosopher

The Celibate Philosopher

This is a short article which disagrees with the majority opinion on sex and alchemy - in a respectful way. Please feel free to agree or disagree or correct - in a respectful way.

It is absolutely necessary," he answered, "and truly, so vitally essential that it is the first thing required of one. I do not know whether you can make up your mind to it, but I know only too well that Wis- dom never dwells in a body subject to sin, even as she never enters a soul prepossessed by error or malice. The Sages will never admit you to their Order if you do not from this moment renounce one thing which can never go hand in hand with Wisdom. It is necessary," he added in a whisper bending close to my ear, "It is necessary to renounce all sensual relationships with women."

Excerpt from Comte de Gabalis - Discourse 2.
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/cdg/index.htm

You may have noticed in your studies that those that we assume to be true adepts were either celibate due to a career in religion or entered into marriages of convenience where the poor wife had to look elsewhere for a bedfellow. The good Comte or Polish rider makes clear that this is the first step any aspiring adept must take. Ah you say but perhaps he means for us to do the opposite. No, we do that anyway. Besides the Comte is in good company. See this link to a site called 'Sacred Sex' where the wondrous benefits of a full sex life are explored and explained. http://sacred-sex.org/

I would draw your attention to a section by Sivananda that explains the process of Brahmacharya or sexual sublimation and the benefits that come to the true philosopher who masters it. It can bring comfort to any who wonder at the intellectual magnificence of adepts that this process elevates said intellect to new heights.
    http://sacred-sex.org/hinduism/sivan...nd-sublimation

Semen has always been considered sacred that's why the Chinese call masturbation - energy suicide. Seperation of the subtle from the gross begins here as the energy is transferred from the bowels of the earth up through the pelican to the sun behind the sun; the modernly popular pineal gland which does not operate as a stand alone system but as part of the endochrine system. Sirius B is a good counterweight of the sun behind the sun theme.
    Please see a diagram of the endochrine system here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocrine_system

Semen is formed of two substances and mastery of the desire that causes the subtle prima materia to be attracted down to the bowels of the earth instead causes the seperation of the waters allowing a vapour to rise up through the bloodstream activating the endochrinal system which in turn is linked to the sympathetic ganglion which 'tunes the lyre' causing a harmonious electricity to travel up the spine - may be referred to as Kundalini if easier - which in turn corrects the magnetic field which surrounds our body. These magnetic fields are important which is why astrology was so practised in ancient times. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray839.png

It's obviously a process that requires great personal dedication to master and there are other aspects such as breathing, diet, regimen and study but this is my case for why adepts may follow this path. Mastery of all desire is the key as it stops the prima materia from being attracted into the spaghetti junction of the bodily system where it is spliced and diced. Instead it can be stored as prana in the solar plexus at first before rising up until body and soul combine to form spirit and the microcosm/macrocosm marriage is complete.

A nice simple natural symbol is the lotus. It grows from a muddy base at the bottom of a river rises up throught the water where a supporting leaf allows a flower to bloom.

For my own part I love my wife and feel very lustful towards her on a daily basis so i definately don't practice what I preach but I believe this to be true.

I wrote this off the cuff so it's very general in terms. Given time I would quote numerous sources referring to the seven churches of asia etc but I think it makes the point.

Kindest thoughts and wishes.

PodWORLD

Celibate, 8 Years & Counting.

May the Blessings of Heaven Rest Upon Thee.

INLVX.

Celibacy has some merit to the work...but I feel abstinence is only necessary when performing the operations of the art (and only then). I feel that this boundary is firmly put in place with reason in mind- and not (in my opinion) because of some "energy" that has slackened.

Corpus Hermeticum:For he that is Good, is the giver of all things, and takes nothing and therefore God gives all things and receives nothing.
    The other title and appellation, is the Father, because of his making all things; for it is the part of a Father to make.
    Therefore it bath been the greatest and most Religious care in this life, to them that are wise, and well-minded, to beget children.
    As likewise it is the greatest misfortune and impiety for any to be separated from men, without children; and this man is punished after death by the Demons, and the punishment is this, To have the Soul of this childless man, adjudged and condemned to a Body, that neither bath the nature of a man, nor of a woman, which is an accursed thing under the Sun.
    Therefore, O Asclepius, never congratulate any man that is childless; but on the contrary, pity his misfortune, knowing what punishment abides, and is prepared for him.
    Flamel:...for they are the true principles or beginnings of this Philosophy, which the Sages have not dared to show to their own Children.
    Thomas Vaughn Confessio Fraternitatis:O ye people, God's counsel is far otherwise, who hath concluded now to increase and enlarge the number of our Fraternity, the which we with such joy have undertaken, as we have heretofore obtained this great treasure without our merits, yea without our hopes, and thoughts, and purpose with the like fidelity to put the same in practice, that neither the compassion nor pity of our own children (which some of us in the Fraternity have) shall draw us from it, because we know these unhoped for goods cannot be inherited, nor by chance be obtained.
    Except for the Flamel & Vaughn quotes- the children mentioned above are most likely metaphoric...i.e. "fruits" of the art- but it does not dissuade me in my belief. While it is not unheard of to be celibate and have children...I do not think it is a necessity to endure a lifetime of abstinence for some spiritual benefit. Cagliostro was married (after he completed the work), Seton (The Cosmopolite) as well (two years before he was martyred- if I remember correctly)... but who knows. Personally I find celibacy to be ridiculous (and I'm sure it taints my outlook)- I loathe the notion of it on a very personal/emotional level. In my mind it is counter intuitive -and if we wanted to stretch the old epithet in ways it was most likely not intended: Celibacy- does not follow nature.
    Ζογκλέρ που Καταπίωει Φωτιές

Blog Entries
    To me, celibacy/abstention, as everything else, has a purpose
    when used with intention.
    As a moral issue, I would disagree with it. But I disagree with
    all morality. There is nothing that is always right or always wrong.
    I prefer Castaneda's impeccability based on energy - does it enhance
    or deplete your energy? That is my guide. Not morality.

As a note, if alchemists are to follow nature, then when and for
    how long is nature celibate? And for what purpose? I think these are
    important questions.

What is Beneficial for One is Another's Cement Shoes. Know THYSELF. It Starts There.

Thank you

Thank you for your replies.

I can be a little clearer perhaps. This has nothing to do with morality. The point wasn't to say this is the right and only way. When I say that achievement of the living spirit is as nature intended I am not saying that everything else isn't. I'm saying this is the way to make that choice. There are four paths ; earth, air, water and fire and they're all as nature intended. The argument may have been counter-intuitive in the intellectual sense but a lot of it I came by through my intuition which is no more infallible thann anyone else's.

It was a basic article as I stated but even if you disagree with the conclusion there is information there because for the herbalist or the chemist.

The endochrine system is worth study due to it's nature and connections.
    If you study the star Sirius B and ponder upon electro magnetism and it's very real power when properly aligned I think you find another ingredient.

I'm not studied enough to speak in finer riddles but it's clear that alchemy relies on forces acting within and without the body as part of the art. At the very least.

Cheers PodWORLD

Maybe the question of when to have sex is simpler. If your an animal then your likely to have sex soon after the the first time you go in heat. I doubt many would disagree that this isnt the best thing for us humans. Not only is physical maturity important but also mental maturity. If you have kids too soon such as 12 or 13 I think that can damage the psychological maturation process. But we have an even higher level to us and thats spiritual maturity. Perhaps the injunction to not have sex is about spiritual maturity. There is a part in the Zohar that says Adams sin wasn't having sex but having sex before he was ready... or something to that effect. Thats my thoughts anyway.

Blog Entries
    I see more celibacy as a demonstration of two things:

1. a rebellion against the norm
    2. a rebellion against biological slavery

Both includes a demonstration of will!

PS
    Not having sex includes masturbation btw!

Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

It is really some mystery and I never found any proper info about sex etc. Strange is that no alchemy adept wrote some definitive info about relations etc.
    But there are 2 things.
    1. The worst thing is to think about sex. Comprehend well this.
    2. You can have an orgasm and press that point, so you will not ejeculate; or you can eat it.

Blog Entries
    I somewhat disagree... I think a lot of spiritual alchemy is all about relations... albeit more symbolic of course... above/below etc... the union of this/that!

Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

+ Reply to Thread