Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alchemical Secrets Hidden in Non-Alchemical Literature?

Alchemical Secrets Hidden in Non-Alchemical Literature?

Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    Canseliet [.....] and his tendency to link alchemy with the most bizarre sources possible -i.e, Swift!!!! -in short, a lot of persons claim that he never found "the stone", but I consider him to be the most interesting author on alchemy of the XX century).
    I was interested about his connection of alchemy with Swift. I know Swift was a bit of a seer but I would be interested to hear about his with alchemy. Would you have that reference in English or is it just in Canseliet's French writings.

-------------------------------------
    Last edited by Andro; 01-16-2016 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Thread topic management.

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    I was interested about his connection of alchemy with Swift. I know Swift was a bit of a seer but I would be interested to hear about his with alchemy. Would you have that referenece in English or is it just in Canseliet's French writings
    Canseliet explains his theory that Swift's "Gulliver's Travels" can be read as an alchemical allegory in his "L'ALCHIMIE EXPLIQUEE SUR SES TEXTES CLASSIQUES" (Alchemy explained according to its classical texts).... and did it again in a smaller book (it's actually an article that was later published as a book): "L’hermétisme dans la vie de Swift et dans ses voyages" ("Hermetism in the life of Swift and his travels.")

I couldn't find any English version... I assumed he had been translated to English, but it seems that these books have never been published in English. How strange!

Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    Canseliet explains his theory that Swift's "Gulliver's Travels" can be read as an alchemical allegory in his "L'ALCHIMIE EXPLIQUEE SUR SES TEXTES CLASSIQUES" (Alchemy explained according to its classical texts).... and did it again in a smaller book (it's actually an article that was later published as a book): "L’hermétisme dans la vie de Swift et dans ses voyages" ("Hermetism in the life of Swift and his travels.")

I couldn't find any English version... I assumed he had been translated to English, but it seems that these books have never been published in English. How strange!
    The idea that the literary works of writers like Swift, Cyrano Bergerac or Cervantes hide some sort of secret knowledge is already suggested by Fulcanelli. He does not elaborate what this secret knowledge is in the case of most of the literary writers he mentions, but he does so in the case of Cyrano Bergerac, and we can see that Fulcanelli's suggestions about this secret knowledge hidden in such literary works are obviously alchemical in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    The idea that the literary works of writers like Swift, Cyrano Bergerac or Cervantes hide some sort of secret knowledge is already suggested by Fulcanelli. He does not elaborate what this secret knowledge is in the case of most of the literary writers he mentions, but he does so in the case of Cyrano Bergerac, and we can see that Fulcanelli's suggestions about this secret knowledge hidden in such literary works are obviously alchemical in nature.
    What I like about Canseliet is that he was by far more open minded than Fulcanelli when it comes to the Renaissance, Modernity and the XX century.
    Fulcanelli was somehow "grumpy" about anything that happened after the medieval times... whilst Canseliet was fine with the avant-garde art of the XX century.
    That's why I prefer Canseliet. Of course, I don't dislike Fulcanelli, but I think he was not too far from having the personality of Guenon (the "personality"... when it comes to knowledge, Fulcanelli was a damn genius... and Guenon was, in my opinion, a person who was completely unworthy -it is fun to read Canseliet and see how he mocks Guenon again and again).

I know that some persons believe that Fulcanelli was Canseliet, but I don't think so... unless he was having fun by inventing a "personality" with a completely different ideology (as Pessoa used to do with his many pen names).

I am convinced that the works of art (this includes literature) which have become classics have a strong connection with Hermeticism (and sometimes specifically with Alchemy). Though such thing doesn't always mean that the authors actually had discovered a HUGE secret, in many cases the literature of alchemy was an inspiration for them (i.e, my favorite fiction that is quite explicitly related to Alchemy is Artaud's "Heliogabalus, the crowned anarchist"... but having read the complete works by Artaud, even his published private diaries, I really do not think that Artaud was a "Lab Alchemist", but some of his works are more interesting than the fictional works that were written by very skilled "Lab Alchemists"). LOL... maybe this issue is as old as Plato's "Ion" (the dialogue in which the poet Ion discusses with Socrates... and they finally agree that Ion has an inspiration that makes him become like a vehicle for the Gods themselves in his poems, but Socrates claims that having this "inspiration" did not mean that he, Ion, had the knowledge to understand the complete symbolism of his own poems).

P.s, I may have some troubles with staying "on topic", pardon my disgressions!!!

Another book along these lines, "The Secret Message of Jules Verne" by Michael Lamy. Also, there have been scads of things written about alchemy/hermeticism in Joyce.

Just wanted to give this thread a bump, this is something I am very interested in, the idea of something that is overtly alchemical being covertly alchemical...one contribution I could make that started me down this trail is this essay by Jay Weidner

http://www.alchemylab.com/alchemical_kubrick.htm

Would love to see if anyone knew of more text like this...going to buy that Jules Verne book for sure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harris Caplan View Post
    something that is overtly alchemical being covertly alchemical...
    Something that is alchemical BOTH overtly AND covertly?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harris Caplan View Post
    Just wanted to give this thread a bump, this is something I am very interested in, the idea of something that is overtly alchemical being covertly alchemical...one contribution I could make that started me down this trail is this essay by Jay Weidner.
    My personal opinion is that Mr Weidner is a brainwashed racist cunt. Although 2001 is a good film to watch with alchemical eyes.

Last edited by Awani; 02-21-2017 at 10:34 PM.

Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

+ Reply to Thread