Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Indigenous creation myths

Blog Entries

Indigenous creation myths

The Shipibo are the people I had my ayahuasca initation with.

Shipibo Mythology

God created Bari, the Sun, and Use, the Moon, to always travel across the sky without ever having to meet. However, Bari once hastened his journey and managed to kiss Use. This passionate kiss was the source of the ancient forest dwellers. One evening, while Use was pregnant a terrible storm thundered across the skies and a flash of lightning cut her womb open. Seven children came down to earth, along a blazing staircase. - source
    The Bwiti are the people I had my iboga initiation with.

In the beginning, Nzame created an egg from which triplets were born, Eyene, None and Gningone... - source
    Both these are small hints of my theory that the metaphorical archetypes of alchemy stem from ancient shamanism. Maybe I should do a phd on this?

Many other indigenous cultures across the globe also share the idea of the serpent being the creator. This fits the Gnostic system of the serpent in the Garden being the "good guy".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Serpent

Last edited by Awani; 01-21-2016 at 05:08 AM.

Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    Both these are small hints of my theory that the metaphorical archetypes of alchemy stem from ancient shamanism. Maybe I should do a phd on this?

Many other indigenous cultures across the globe also share the idea of the serpent being the creator. This fits the Gnostic system of the serpent in the Garden being the "good guy".
    Some words are weird... indigenous and Aborigine are strange words.
    Aborigine = the people who were somewhere "since the origin".
    Indigenous = literally "from that genus" with genus meaning either race, but sometimes it can mean a location too.

(Anyone who has not migrated or whose ancestors have not migrated is technically an "aborigine" and an "indigenous").

I do not blame you... our languages are simply weird. This fact came to my mind because these words made me think... my first thought was: "Dev actually means 'tribal cultures'.

But there are universal symbols, the serpent is just one of them, which can be found both in tribal cultures and in ancient urban cultures (i.e, I would not call the ancient Babylonians or Sumerians a "tribal culture").

The serpent and the egg, the primordial chaos, a being who was cut in at least two pieces (such as Tiamat), the division of the "cardinal points" in 4 sections, the sun-moon polarity... a long list of etceteras.

It's really VERY hard to figure out why completely unrelated cultures used symbols which are so similar and sometimes identical.
    I know you often relate these issues to psychedelics, but they also existed in cultures which did not use psychedelics at all (i.e, a lot of these symbols were part of the ancient religion of the South of Argentina... where it is almost confirmed that no psychedelics were used, simply because there are no native psychedelic plants there).

Most of these "universal symbols" arrived to alchemy, that's for sure... but they also arrived to non-alchemical sources, like "visionaries" (I would not describe Hildegard von Bingen as an "alchemist", even if she has an interesting book on botanical medicines... but her "visions" include a lot of these symbols).

This "mystery" is fascinating to me. Claude Lévi-Strauss tried to explain it, Frazer did it too, Jung did the same... I'm not a fan of their explanations... but I do not really have a better one to offer myself.

Blog Entries
    Yes tribal cultures is what that word means in scientific literature.

Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post

From the magic truffle ceremony last year in Amsterdam, I had a very positive encounter with a serpent like energy. What I saw was a winged type flying serpent - half dragon half serpent, that had what I saw as a healing energy and was associated with TIME. When I look at spiral climbing plants such as Ayahausca vines or Morning Glory, which climb up trees or any available structure, I see a serpent spirit of that plant. (I dont have any first hand experience of these two)

Blog Entries
    Interesting to hear thoth. During the ceremony, I also had an experience with snakes. When the last icaros started playing, I came to a place overtaken with a beautiful night sky, and a snake was there. It brought a golden orb down to my throat chakra/region and gently massaged it up and down.

I'm sure you can imagine how a snake, without arms, would carry something like that. It was twisting and constricting and moving in and out, all the while balancing this orb. Very peaceful, very beautiful.

Was it carrying an egg? Perhaps a golden one!

The image is still in my mind. If I ever get around to drawing it (along with some of the other 'visions') I'll post it up
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Arrow

Yes it was a strange (but good) experience. Before I had this experience, I just thought of "serpents" as snakes, which are quite terrifying, but I was never familiar with the idea of the serpent as a God/friend/healer. The image which I saw, which had small stubby type feathered wings close to its head. Also I never associated serpents with feathers.

I then became the serpent - or it took over, or we both blended - not really sure which. Maybe you are better to not even try and understand it from normal perspective, but it was all quite fluid. The one thing that I was really aware of, was the serpent's association with Time. It/me/we seemed to be zig zagging up to the end of time and coming back down again.

The same night I had another experience with the serpent, this time, it/me/we, was an Indian Goddess, and on my head-dress was a cresent of serpents, all arching forward. I asked it : - what is your name and it said "Shakti". Bizzarely, the next day in the bookshop, I picked up a book on Hindu Feminism, and there, I saw a picture of Shakti, with .....7 serpents on top of her head. (I had never studied any Hinduism, or anything about the Goddess, so I am sure there was no subliminal inputs involved).

I know that during truffle and other similar experiences people can never really seem to sit still. Maybe they take the Muslim prayer position as Dev mentioned, or sit up, etc. I think the worst thing you can do is go to the sleep position. Its as if the plant spirit wants to experience what its like to be able to move - especially if you start getting muscle twitches (which happens with high doses of psilocybin), its as if the plant is trying to kick you into a little dance.

I do look forward to an Ayahausca experience sometime .....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    I asked it : - what is your name and it said "Shakti". Bizzarely, the next day in the bookshop, I picked up a book on Hindu Feminism, and there, I saw a picture of Shakti, with .....7 serpents on top of her head.
    Quote Originally Posted by dev
    Shipibo Mythology

God created Bari, the Sun, and Use, the Moon, to always travel across the sky without ever having to meet. However, Bari once hastened his journey and managed to kiss Use. This passionate kiss was the source of the ancient forest dwellers. One evening, while Use was pregnant a terrible storm thundered across the skies and a flash of lightning cut her womb open. Seven children came down to earth, along a blazing staircase.
    Another interesting correspondence
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    I think the worst thing you can do is go to the sleep position.
    From what I have learned it doesn't matter which position you sit in as long as it is a positive position, so for example don't sit with your head in your hands leaning forward (typically a "negative" position). Laying on your back arms outstretched is a positive position, as you are open to the cosmos. Lotus position is probably best if you can manage to "sit up".

Quote Originally Posted by dev
    Shipibo Mythology

God created Bari, the Sun, and Use, the Moon, to always travel across the sky without ever having to meet. However, Bari once hastened his journey and managed to kiss Use. This passionate kiss was the source of the ancient forest dwellers. One evening, while Use was pregnant a terrible storm thundered across the skies and a flash of lightning cut her womb open. Seven children came down to earth, along a blazing staircase.
    Interesting parallels to Jacobs Ladder.

Below is William Blakes representation of it.

Distill fact from theory, fixate on inferences drawn.
    Upon which points does the mystery turn?
    "What's the matter?", one asks.
    "The universe is mental!", one replies.
    Know The Self.

The winding staircase could be symbolic of the Kundalini serpent coiled around the spine, which is my interpretation of the serpent on the tree of knowledge (spine leads to the brain). Norse legends have a similar tree with a serpent that eats at the roots. I believe many of the riddles and parables of ancient times relate to the human body in some way. The serpent can bring you good fruit, or poison.

+ Reply to Thread