Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Re-Interpretation of the Emerald Tablet

Blog Entries

Re-Interpretation of the Emerald Tablet

Why should I not speak the truth about what is so clearly seen inside of me at this moment?

What is below originated in the above, and what is above originated in the below; this is the most wonderful of all paradoxes!
    All things are created from One Thing. All things arise from an adaptation of One Thing, and everything is an adaptation of this One Thing according to Its limitations.

It mothered the Sun and It fathered the Moon. It is an Earth digesting itself, and It is the refining breath of the Air. These actions are manifestations of Its power.

As the Earth refines itself and the Air digests itself, there is a separation of the subtle from the gross.
    All the while the Earth is digesting itself, mothering the Sun and fathering the Moon.
    Look out in the world and see, this is how Nature operates.
    Look inside and see, this is how you operate.

However, there are many adaptations of One process, which is why I, Hermes, have laid down three principle philosophies for you to meditate on.

The work, of the Sun and indeed of the whole World, is finished because of these three philosophies, adapted from the philosophy of One Thing according to Its particular limitation.
    Last edited by Kiorionis; 08-16-2017 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

I liked it, Kiorionis!

What's your interpretation of the "three parts of the philosophy of the whole world"? (Or "these three philosophies, adapted from the philosophy of One Thing according to Its particular limitation").

I've seen authors relating it to: Vegetable, Animal and Mineral.
    Others to: Astrology, Alchemy, Theurgy.
    Others to the three Sepharim (numbers, language and speech/communication/tradition)
    And others to the Neo-Platonic Trinity (One, Spirit and Soul -bad translations... Hen, Nous, Psyche).

What do you think?

Blog Entries
    I like it, but have not tried to dissect its meaning.

Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    Thanks zoas and dev.

Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    I liked it, Kiorionis!

What's your interpretation of the "three parts of the philosophy of the whole world"? (Or "these three philosophies, adapted from the philosophy of One Thing according to Its particular limitation").

What do you think?
    The three philosophies of the world is an interesting subject, and the way I interpret it is that in order to manifest anything, in order to finish or 'fix' a work, there are three forces necessary -- and each force is limited in its function, which give rise to movement and balance or imbalance.

Better yet, anything available for the human mind/consciousness to study falls under one of these three forces, no matter how you label them. I think it's also important to remember, our knowledge and understanding of things is always changing as we pursue wisdom. This is why we have "three philosophies to meditate on" and not three philosophies to learn and memorize.

In the end, they're all trying to describe certain aspects of One Thing, but only after this One Thing has placed limitations on itself by becoming one of the three principles/philosophies.

Basically, the last part for me isn't which three philosophies to study, but how these three interact with one another.
    Last edited by Kiorionis; 06-02-2016 at 03:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    there are three forces necessary.
    god, devil & The Separator

Generally, I see here the three main VR planes: Physical Plane (Alchemy), Astral Plane (Asters/Astrology) and Mental/Causal Plane (Theurgy/Intent, etc...)

There's also the UN-created Spirit/Essence, but it permeates all VR planes, while not being a 'Plane' itself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    Generally, I see here the three main VR planes: Physical Plane (Alchemy), Astral Plane (Asters/Astrology) and Mental/Causal Plane (Theurgy/Intent, etc...)

There's also the UN-created Spirit/Essence, but it permeates all VR planes, while not being a 'Plane' itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Tablet
    The work, and indeed the whole World, is finished because of these three philosophies, adapted from the philosophy of One Thing according to Its particular limitation.
    Seems to fit well

I've been talking to Kiorinis about this famous line of the 3 philosophies and I told him why it's the most elusive line of the Table for me (I am not in love with ANY of the answers given in this thread, which includes even my own answers).
    Astrology, alchemy and theurgy?
    Sulphur, salt and mercury?
    Mineral, animal and vegetable?
    Hen, Nous and Psyche?
    God, devil and the separator?

I was thinking that the idea that the Unity is divided in 3 is quite typical (Chaldean Oracles, Valentinean Gnosticism -later adopted by Roman Catholisicm-, Plotinus, etc)...

It MAY be possible that Hermes Trismegistus (i.e, "three times big", an honorary title) is simply explaining his name and this line is more related to the Religious side of Hermeticism than to the ontological and "practical" side of the Tablet... something as simple as "I'm three times big because I contain 3 philosophies".

Similar to the Book (sepher) Sepher Yetzirah that it is a combination of three "sepharim"... or the three mitical Rosicrucian books (I. M. and H.)

Blog Entries
    Papal Tiara (triple crown):

St. Didier (Hermetic Triumph) Emblem - triple crown on top:

Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    Mineral, animal and vegetable?
    This seems the easiest to get my head around, perhaps Hermes Trismegistus had mastered all three.

Ghislain
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    but have not tried to dissect its meaning.

Have you tried yet? I'm interested in hearing what you have to say on it.

+ Reply to Thread