Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Re-Interpretation of the Emerald Tablet

Blog Entries
    You don’t consider Dennis William Hauck a philosopher, TI?
    Last edited by Awani; 03-11-2018 at 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling of name
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Never heard of him. Does he thinks Hermes talked about Light in his Emerald Tablet?
    Formerly known as True Puffer

Blog Entries
    Haha you must have missed Ghislain’s post above. DWH’s interpretation:

Truly, without hype, religious exploitation, or commercial consideration, you can experience Higher Consciousness.

That which is Matter corresponds to that which is Energy, and that which is Energy corresponds to that which is Matter, in order to accomplish the miracles of the One Light. And just as all things came from this Light, through the concentration of One Mind, so do all created things originate from this Light, through the transformation of Thought.

Its father is Energy; its mother Matter; the Spectrum carries it in its belly; its nurse is the Brain. It is the origin of All, the consecration of the Universe. Its inherent strength is perfected, if it is materialized.

Separate the Light from Matter, the Subtle from the Gross, gently, in deepest Meditation. The Light rises from Earth to Heaven, and returns again to Earth, thereby combining within itself the powers of both Energy and Matter.

Thus will you obtain the Glory of the Whole Universe. All Darkness with be illumined to you. This is the greatest Force of all powers, because it overcomes every Energetic thing and penetrates every Material thing.

In this way was the Universe created. From this comes many wondrous Manifestations, because this is the Formula.

Therefore, am I called Thrice Greatest, having united all three parts of reality and seen the underlying relationship between Energy, Matter, and Light. Herein is completely explained the Operation of Consciousness.
    Not specifically about Light, but it includes it
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

He is very close to my own understanding but he made a mistake at the end with the word Consciousnes
    Formerly known as True Puffer

There is a german translation from 1702 from Geneva, Switzerland that says the following at the beginning:

The creatures above gather with the creatures below and those gather with the creatures above in order to produce one thing that is full of wonders."

I wonder why this translator speaks about creatures. The latin orginial doesn't provide any such interpretation imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    There is a german translation from 1702 from Geneva, Switzerland that says the following at the beginning:

The creatures above gather with the creatures below and those gather with the creatures above in order to produce one thing that is full of wonders."

I wonder why this translator speaks about creatures. The latin orginial doesn't provide any such interpretation imo.
    You made me get curious. I have been reading several modern (academic) translations.
    The *original* is not Latin, but Arabic (nobody knows if the Arabic text is the TRUE original or if it is a translation of a previous Greek text, but the oldest copy and source of all the Latin translations is Arabic).

The modern translations go a bit further than the classical Latin and Latin-to-English translations... And whilst each translator has his own nuances, all of them seem to agree that the right translation is something along the lines of "the below comes from the above and the above comes from the below".

The most known English versions somehow get lighter and seem to suggest an abstract and implicit noun (that -something- that is below is like that -something- which is above"). The Latin versions often do the same ("quod est superius...").

I am trusting these modern translations and there is no hint of any implicit noun, but a direct equivalence between the "above" and the "below"... Thus I think that those "creatures" are either a terrible mistake or a very free translation... Or a mix between translation and interpretation?

Probably the best way to translate is to put our ideas and interpretations aside and become as neutral as possible... But those "creatures" don't seem to exist in the oldest version(s).

The swiss translator claimed it was from a phoenician source. I guess that could have also meant arabic in those times.

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    The swiss translator claimed it was from a phoenician source. I guess that could have also meant arabic in those times.
    Probably. I simply used google and searched for modern translations from the original Arabian text (rather than Latin)... If I trust the translators, then the idea of "creatures" seems to be absurd.
    I also saw the Latin translation of Hugo de Santalla, which was improved by other translators in somehow distant days... the very first Latin translation was a mess. I don't know who is the author of the Latin translation that became more or less "canonical" and which can be found in several books, but it's not the version by Santalla.

+ Reply to Thread