Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5 or 6 or 7 senses

Blog Entries

5 or 6 or 7 senses

Recently realized this difference in culture regarding our senses...

In English there are 5 official senses:
    • Sight
    • Hearing
    • Taste
    • Smell
    • Touch
    As well as the sixth sense...

In Swedish there are 6 official senses:
    • Sight
    • Hearing
    • Taste
    • Smell
    • Touch
    • Balance
    As well as a seventh sense...

Does this mean things make more sense in Sweden?

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    There's just one sense.

But it's divided into 'segments' on the vibrational frequency spectrum/continuum of VR perception, with many gaps between the segments.

The gaps by far 'outnumber' the 'sensegments'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    There's just one sense.

But it's divided into 'segments' on the vibrational frequency spectrum/continuum of VR perception, with many gaps between the segments.

The gaps by far 'outnumber' the 'sensegments'.
    That's true if you take my post as seriously as that.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

It's interesting... 6 senses.

The division in 5, I know you are aware of it, Dev, is classical and precedes the existence of English (i.e, there are several references to the "5 senses" in the classical Greek Philosophy).

I wanted to do a search and see if I could find where does our division in 5 come from, but the wiki article on the subject makes little sense and it's wrong (it quotes a Hindu source of the 6 BC century and then jumps to the times of Shakespeare)... and I couldn't find a source that investigates their origin.

The wiki article has, however, a list of non-traditional senses and "balance" is there:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense#...itional_senses ... followed by the senses that some animals and some plants have, but humans don't.

__________________________________________________ _

The one who built a model with 6 senses is Ramon Llull... his 6th sense is a made up word with no English translation (He used the word "Afar"). It is described in his Liber Proverbiorum (Book of Proverbs)... and it's a mix of what we usually call "the sixth sense" (which is somehow "paranormal") with something that involves the rational mind and is not "paranormal" at all.

i will try to condense his definition of "Afar":
    -It's the manifestation of the mind.

-it's "organ" is the "Tongue" [Llull somehow uses the two meanings that the word "tongue" has, even in English, and merges them... Tongue = what we have in our mouth and is related to the sense of taste... and Tongue = language, but also the tongue in our mouth that articulates sounds].

-It's the sense that allows a person get in touch with his Rational Mind.

-The main sense of communication between two persons is the sense of "afar"

-The "afar" is manifested as a sound and can be perceived by the ears.

-The sense of "Afar" is equal to "the son of God" (the Logos)

-Men use their "afar" to communicate with God.

I assume that the problem of the "6th sense" of Llull is that it is not exactly like the other senses (an artifact of perception)... but it's his way of transforming the Rational Mind in a sense and it's clearly mixed with the capability of speaking and producing sounds that make sense (language) and understanding the world, each other and God through language.

It's interesting because for Llull (and I mean Llull and not really pseudo-Llull here) it is very clear that the truth is to be found through language (thus his Ars Magna, one of the subjects that the RICHKER chapter of our anthology talks about)

Other than that, Andro is right... but he has a tendency to be right!

Blog Entries
    Interesting. Thanks for your research. Saves me the time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    its "organ" is the "Tongue"
    Interestingly, the term "Tongue" is used in the book 'Empire V' (by Victor Pelevin) to describe the Archontic 'infection' which turns the host one into an 'elite' vehicle/vessel for the chief parasite(s). I highly recommend the book.

Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    Other than that, Andro is right... but he has a tendency to be right!
    I can't help it! Is there a cure for this?

Blog Entries
    “There is a way of being wrong which is also sometimes necessarily right.”
    ― Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    Interestingly, the term "Tongue" is used in the book 'Empire V' (by Victor Pelevin) to describe the Archontic 'infection' which turns the host one into an 'elite' vehicle/vessel for the chief parasite(s). I highly recommend the book.

I can't help it! Is there a cure for this?
    Interesting, Andro! I will try to get a copy of that book. Your suggestions don't have the tendency to disappoint me.

Anyway... I will show you something interesting.

Some years ago I wrote a long essay in Spanish about the "ancestors" of the Chaldean Oracles (which I consider to be a first or Second Century AD text).... and their relation with Gnostic and proto-Gnostic systems. Plotinus and Porphyry were offering an obvious analogy that fits perfectly into the Cosmology of the Oracles... BUT I found something amazing. I finally always had to go back to Plato (and Socrates)...

And I remembered there the FIRST complete description of the system of Socrates, written 40 years before Plato even mentioned him: the Clouds by Aristophanes: http://classics.mit.edu/Aristophanes/clouds.html

The interesting thing for me is that "the Clouds" is a parody, but every parody is based on real facts, otherwise it's not "funny"... The text of "The Clouds" mocks Socrates, but offers a very interesting vision of his system and VERY different than the vision that Plato offers.

The system of Socrates in "The Clouds" is IDENTICAL to the system of the Chaldean Oracles and Socrates is there teachen a cosmology with 3 "Gods".

The text shows how Socrates teaches to his disciple that "Zeus" doesn't exist and that he has to worship the three "real" Gods:

"Henceforward, following our example, you will recognize no other gods but Chaos, the Clouds and the Tongue, these three alone."

If you follow the text, the right order is 1) Chaos 2) Tongue (also called "Whirlwind") 3) Clouds

So I made a comparison:

Plotinus: ---------------- Hen (one) ---------------- Nous (Intellect) -------------------- Psyche (Soul)
    Chaldean Oracles: ----- Father/1st Mind-----------Nous/2nd Mind ----------------------Hecate
    The Clouds: -------------Chaos/Vacuum-----------Tongue/Whirlwind--------------------Clouds
    Christian Gnosticism---- God-----------------------Demiurge-----------------------------Archons

So... the idea of the "Tongue" as the Demiurge is actually there in one of the first texts that explain the roots of Platonism (which later developed into Gnosticism).
    It is my belief that Aristophanes probably took these terms (Chaos, Tongue and Clouds) directly from Socratic sources, if not from Socrates himself.
    Maybe there is a LONG tradition of using the idea of the "tongue" as to represent the "second God" (which you call "the parasite"... not sure if I would use that word, but I get why you are using it).

Yes, there is a cure Andro! It's called TV
    Get one and see how quickly it heals you and makes you embrace the most stupid things with a great feeling of joy.
    Now, that's truly a very REAL and touchable parasite!

It is my understanding that there are many senses. I did a bit of research on this recently matter of fact.

Sight, hearing, feeling, smelling, tasting, thermoception, equilibrioception, proprioception, tension sensors, nocieception, stretch receptors, chemoreceptors, thirst, hunger, magnetoception, time, and I am sure many more.

I currently attempting to learn more about biology and the nervous system to benefit me in meditation and increasing acuity of all the senses. Hopefully helping me to store sensory data better, and improving my memory. But who knows?
    Last edited by Loki Morningstar; 08-11-2016 at 08:33 PM.
    Distill fact from theory, fixate on inferences drawn.
    Upon which points does the mystery turn?
    "What's the matter?", one asks.
    "The universe is mental!", one replies.
    Know The Self.

+ Reply to Thread