Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: People of the Ucayali

Blog Entries

People of the Ucayali

Just started reading People of the Ucayali by Eakin, Lauriault and Boonstra. A book that describe the culture of the Shipibo-Conibo people...

Two things instantly caught my eye. First is this:

Most Shipibo today speak of man's soul (caya) as being his heart during life and as going to God (or the gods) upon death...another non corporeal entity is man's shadow (bei), a spirit which accompanies man until death. After death this spirit, now called the death-spirit (mahua yoshin), assumes a wandering existence... The Shipibo also recognize one or two spirits which reside in the eye (bero-yoshin). These also apparently leave the body upon death.
    And then this, which I really love:

...many of a person's possessions are destroyed at his death...house was burned... bow and arrows, canoe, and clothing are... burned or thrown into the river... when a woman dies... pottery made by her is broken; her clothes, pieces of cloth she wove, and even her weaving equipment are thrown out or burned...
    This sync with the Gnostic text The Gospel of Philip which states:

"Those who are heirs to the dead are themselves dead, and they inherit the dead."

I think it is a beautiful concept to not only burn the body, but also everything that person ever made or owned. As if the dead is forever gone, wiped out. Instead of this hording of tombstones and memorabilia and crap.

Cycle of life in all its glory!

Last edited by Awani; 06-17-2016 at 10:19 PM.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    I have mixed feelings about this. On one side, I agree that letting go of a 'personality' is a great way to move on for both parties.

On the other side, I feel that keeping a genuine created thing from a 'personality' -- especially if they're a relative -- is a good way to connect with ancestry.

Curious things
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    I think it is a beautiful concept to not only burn the body, but also everything that person ever made or owned. As if the dead is forever gone, wiped out. Instead of this hording of tombstones and memorabilia and crap.
    You're in luck!!! We're already living this way... The US government will take everything away from the dead in the form of estate taxes I would venture to guess that most governments are similar.

Blog Entries
    LOL. Not really. We still cling to material crap.

No thing has any value. The reason we have so many issues and conflict is because we cling to crap. When a person dies, that persons things die as well.

We are born thanks to the flames of passion. And we dissolve in fire at the end of life. Perfection.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

This sync with the Gnostic text The Gospel of Philip which states:

"Those who are heirs to the dead are themselves dead, and they inherit the dead."

Cycle of life in all its glory!

This is it! Since several years, i wanted to be burned in my backyard the same day i die, maybe of a cottage, somewhere outside in nature. Why not do it soundly and rigorous like the people of the Ucayali. If everything material is destroyed, then there is nothing material to adhere after death (except other people or habits / unfulfilled desires).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarrox View Post
    Why not do it soundly and rigorous like the people of the Ucayali.
    Or like the Vikings...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarrox View Post
    This is it! Since several years, i wanted to be burned in my backyard the same day i die, maybe of a cottage, somewhere outside in nature. Why not do it soundly and rigorous like the people of the Ucayali. If everything material is destroyed, then there is nothing material to adhere after death (except other people or habits / unfulfilled desires).
    What is interesting is that in recent times the only thing they don't burn is if they have a chainsaw or some other piece of "modern" equipment, because it is so very expensive for them to get those things. So it gets passed down. Basically, to me, this is a perfect symbol of the main problem with Western Culture. This fucking hording of "wealth". As soon as cultures who live in a relatively pure way touch our poison it infects them. It's a shame.

Normally everything they own (all tools, instruments, pottery, clothes) is stuff they have MADE THEMSELVES. It is a perfect ecosystem.

I understand that technological advancement is good, and I support such things... but it is a double edged sword.

Inheritance is evil.

When everything you own is what you have made each new person born has to start from scratch and MAKE his/her LIFE. But we lazy cunts in the West, we just collect as much garbage as possible and pass it on to our kids... and the more the kids get the less they understand of "making it" on their own. That is why in the RICH countries we now have generations of people who are weak, passive, lazy, over sensitive morons.

Blog Entries
    That is why in the RICH countries we now have [...] people who are weak, passive, lazy, over sensitive morons.
    Along with strong, hyperactive, insensitive, emotionally damaged, backstabbing and predatory psychopaths.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    Along with strong, hyperactive, insensitive, emotionally damaged, backstabbing and predatory psychopaths.
    Yes, that leave large inheritances to their offspring.

Although this type you mention are more rare, at least as far as I have not met any that have ALL those traits... but the list I mentioned, well I meet those daily. But it is actually fine with me that these people exist. It would be strange if they did not exist. Cause and effect after all. I think the cure is to stop inheritance. This is part of the Way.

Like this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...my-wealth.html

Last edited by Awani; 03-17-2017 at 01:33 AM. Reason: add link + extra words

Does this concept only apply to people or would you include trusts, corporations, etc? Would we have countries, states, cities or do they have a shelf-life as well?

+ Reply to Thread